Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2023, 06:00 AM

7,424 posts, read 6,596,750 times

Advertisements

Regatta Grove is just the latest food/entertainment venue to open in Miami—this past weekend in Coconut Grove. Same developer as The Wharf and Stubborn Seed’s Jeremy Ford. This comes on the heels of the openings of Julia & Henry’s downtown and OkeyDokey in Brickell.

Someone recently asked how locals are benefitting from wealthy residents moving here; well, here you go….yet one doesn’t need to live on Star Island to afford and take advantage of these options (with more on the way).

https://regattagrove.com/

https://amp.miamiherald.com/miami-co...276698606.html

Last edited by elchevere; 06-26-2023 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 08:00 AM

1,954 posts, read 3,337,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Regatta Grove is just the latest food/entertainment venue to open in Miami—this past weekend in Coconut Grove. Same developer as The Wharf and Stubborn Seed’s Jeremy Ford. This comes on the heels of the openings of Julia & Henry’s downtown and OkeyDokey in Brickell.

Someone recently asked how locals are benefitting from wealthy residents moving here; well, here you go….yet one doesn’t need to live on Star Island to afford and take advantage of these options (with more on the way).

https://regattagrove.com/

https://amp.miamiherald.com/miami-co...276698606.html
Miami just keeps rolling. I will say I went to Contessa this past Saturday with my sister. Food is underwhelming and wickedly overpriced. Big thumbs down on that spot.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Miami just keeps rolling. I will say I went to Contessa this past Saturday with my sister. Food is underwhelming and wickedly overpriced. Big thumbs down on that spot.
If you didn’t like Contessa you really will hate their sister restaurant Carbone….at least Contessa doesn’t rip you off on the wine….at Carbone a bottle of Amarone starts at $400 and goes up (for a private label, non brand with a handwritten label)….I’ve had very good bottles of Amarone for $100-150 (brand wineries such as Masi, Tomassi, etc) elsewhere. Glad a friend picked up the tab.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-26-2023 at 10:04 AM..

Old 06-26-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
If you didn’t like Contessa you really will hate their sister restaurant Carbone….at least Contessa doesn’t rip you off on the wine….at Carbone a bottle of Amarone starts at $400 and goes up (for a private label, non brand with a handwritten label)….I’ve had very good bottles of Amarone for $100-150 (brand wineries such as Masi, Tomassi, etc) elsewhere. Glad a friend picked up the tab.
I don't mind paying if the meal is good. I love Boia De!, Pastis, Klaw, Doma. These are some of my regular spots and by no means cheap. However, the food is good. Contessa has hidden charges. I got a chopped salad listed at $19 and added tuna. The bill came and the salad was $37 because I added tuna. Tuna looked it came from a can. Of course I expected there would be an add on fee, but $20 for the little bit of tuna. Obnoxious. The peach Bellini was around $20. I know Carbone's is expensive, but I heard the food is outstanding. I want to try Michael's Genuine next.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:12 AM

I don’t mind paying either but I do mind overpaying and getting violated—no way the cheapest bottle of Amarone should start at $400.

Carbone is the same owner as Contessa. Veal is good at both places. The highly touted Spicy rigatoni at Carbone is the most overhyped pasta dish I’ve had anywhere (here or in their NYC restaurant—I didn’t get wowed by the flavor of the sauce). Also, not a fan of the “privilege” of getting a reservation 30 days out at either 5:30 or 11:00PM at Carbone whereas it’s a little easier getting a reservation at a more normal time at Contessa for dinner and definitely for lunch. Guess it depends what one orders at either restaurant and I typically order pasta and a protein dish at an Italian restaurant.

Of course, I’m a huge fan of Fiola and look forward to trying their newly added veal chop Parmigiana. I had an issue a few months ago at Il Gabbiano when they served me a non prime veal chop that was more like a veal patty. That had me shaking my head as well.

If you want good Italian for good value that’s easier to get into try Call Me Gaby. More casual and not a Lisa Hochstein celebrity sighting spot as well. 2 blocks from Carbone, across the street from Joe’s.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-26-2023 at 11:30 AM..

Old 06-26-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I don’t mind paying either but I do mind overpaying and getting violated—no way the cheapest bottle of Amarone should start at $400.

Carbone is the same owner as Contessa. Veal is good at both places. The highly touted Spicy rigatoni at Carbone is the most overhyped pasta dish I’ve had anywhere (here or in their NYC restaurant—I didn’t get wowed by the flavor of the sauce). Also, not a fan of the “privilege” of getting a reservation 30 days out at either 5:30 or 11:00PM at Carbone whereas it’s a little easier getting a reservation at a more normal time at Contessa for dinner and definitely for lunch. Guess it depends what one orders at either restaurant and I typically order pasta and a protein dish at an Italian restaurant.

Of course, I’m a huge fan of Fiola and look forward to trying their newly added veal chop Parmigiana. I had an issue a few months ago at Il Gabbiano when they served me a non prime veal chop that was more like a veal patty. That had me shaking my head as well.

If you want good Italian for good value that’s easier to get into try Call Me Gaby. More casual and not a Lisa Hochstein celebrity sighting spot as well. 2 blocks from Carbone, across the street from Joe’s.
I love Call Me Gaby. I take friends there for brunch when they're in town and it's always a hit. I am curious to see how Casadona turns out when it opens later this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: