Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2022, 01:47 PM

126 posts, read 219,612 times

Advertisements

I like to take multi mile walks daily and discover new areas while doing so. I've often wondered what the gated communities are actually like beyond the gates in the southern end of Coral Gables. I understand the purpose of gated communities is that you're not allowed to drive past the guard gate unless you have a good reason to enter. I've seen YouTube video walking tours where the poster just walked past the guard gate on Star Island and a few other "private" islands over in that area of Miami Beach. Is there a way to just take a walk in the neighborhoods of Cocoplum, Old Cutler Bay etc.? I know it's most likely not possible but thought I'd ask anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 01:55 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
I like to take multi mile walks daily and discover new areas while doing so. I've often wondered what the gated communities are actually like beyond the gates in the southern end of Coral Gables. I understand the purpose of gated communities is that you're not allowed to drive past the guard gate unless you have a good reason to enter. I've seen YouTube video walking tours where the poster just walked past the guard gate on Star Island and a few other "private" islands over in that area of Miami Beach. Is there a way to just take a walk in the neighborhoods of Cocoplum, Old Cutler Bay etc.? I know it's most likely not possible but thought I'd ask anyway.

Star Island is 100% public......they cannot stop you even in your car. The guard is a visual deterrent but the roads are not private roads and you are allowed in 24/7.

Some of the gated communities like Sunrise Place/Ct are gated but again you can walk/drive right in. Usually if you can see it on google maps street view then it is a public road/street.

You should dress nice, walk towards the place like you own it and maybe wave to the $12 an hour guard and I'd bet you walk right in. If you get refused, then oh well that one is a real gated community.

Old 12-23-2022, 02:35 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I was permitted to drive (not sure about walking) into Cocoplum and Gables Estates, no questions or issues when I pulled up to the gate. Might have helped that I had a very nice car. Maybe just say you are considering looking at a property or neighborhood and be willing to offer the security guard your drivers license or ID?? Alternatively, just act like you belong and say nothing unless stopped.

Tahiti Beach was off limits and I was stopped at their guarded gate—must be a resident.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-23-2022 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-02-2023, 10:19 AM

32 posts, read 34,455 times
I'm a cyclist, my favorite trick to explore gated communities and similar areas is to just bike in at a decent speed, ignore the guard gate and keep going. If someone yells "Heyyyy!" at you, pretend you didn't hear them and keep going. They've never tried to chase me down, and if someone does I can just claim ignorance that I didn't hear them.

Usually I've explored the whole neighborhood and zipped back out within a few minutes; no one has ever said anything to me on the way out as they probably realized I was just a harmless cyclist.

Of course if they get upset you probably don't want to go back through there again, but whatever. I don't think anyone really cares that much unless you're causing trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami