Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva19 View Post
If FIU has a high Bar passage rate, it is because they expel all the underachievers after their first and second years, just like all the other third and fourth tier law schools down here do...at least you won't waste tens of thousands of dollars if you go to FIU. But seriously, the only attorney I knew who graduated from there was publicly fired from a low-status job...plus it's in Doral or somewhere way out west where no one wants to be...campus is beautiful though.
It is really kind of absurd that someone compared it to FSU though...that is like comparing Yale to Texas A&M or something.
If you have any other choices, pursue those...see what kind of LSAT UM is accepting these days. Apparently they're not too selective right now, but they have a smidgen of respect around the country and the Miami-Dade area.
HA! Garrulity from UMiami students! My retarded cousin got accepted to UMiami law with a 2.8 GPA, 155 LSAT (Prestige?) not to mention he got rejected by FIU. I have friends that attended UF, FSU, ,UM, Nova, and FIU law. Now, I went to FIU for my undergrad and attended UCLA Law and YES, people from SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA and NEW YORK have heard about FIU. At my firm which is located in Santa Monica- we have a few graduates from USC, Standford, Loyola Marymount, and of course UCLA. A year ago we hired a UMiami graduate that was a complete idiot. He apparently forgot about real life and lived within his delusional college life. The only thing he brought to the table was 5 national titles and 2 Heismen which occurred a decade ago. Ironically, my colleagues from USC which have 11 national titles and 7 Heismen decided to inaugurate him as the "JOKE" of our office. Now.. why would I pick FIU over UMiami?
1. Granted UMiami has some sort of current Plutocracy in Miami-Dade but it will diminish as FIU rapidly grows
2. FIU is a public institution that is the backbone of Miami residence. (I was surprised to see how Miami does not cater to their community)
3. Limited resources? How retarded are you to think that a private school like Nova or UMiami has more resources than a public school. Last time I checked UMiami has a hospital formerly Cedars, Nova doesn't have one, and FIU is building TWO Medical Complexes. One on campus and one along Miami International Airport.
4. Cost? The same bar is taken, no matter what institution you attend. I'm not going to waste a ridiculous amount of money for a degree only respected in the Miami area.
Bottom line: Go where it benefits you, If I was going to stay in South Florida then I would go to FIU or whichever school gives me more money. Don't be near-sighted and research each school and develop your own formula. Those are my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njux07 View Post
HA! Garrulity from UMiami students! My retarded cousin got accepted to UMiami law with a 2.8 GPA, 155 LSAT (Prestige?) not to mention he got rejected by FIU. I have friends that attended UF, FSU, ,UM, Nova, and FIU law. Now, I went to FIU for my undergrad and attended UCLA Law and YES, people from SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA and NEW YORK have heard about FIU. At my firm which is located in Santa Monica- we have a few graduates from USC, Standford, Loyola Marymount, and of course UCLA. A year ago we hired a UMiami graduate that was a complete idiot. He apparently forgot about real life and lived within his delusional college life. The only thing he brought to the table was 5 national titles and 2 Heismen which occurred a decade ago. Ironically, my colleagues from USC which have 11 national titles and 7 Heismen decided to inaugurate him as the "JOKE" of our office. Now.. why would I pick FIU over UMiami?
1. Granted UMiami has some sort of current Plutocracy in Miami-Dade but it will diminish as FIU rapidly grows
2. FIU is a public institution that is the backbone of Miami residence. (I was surprised to see how Miami does not cater to their community)
3. Limited resources? How retarded are you to think that a private school like Nova or UMiami has more resources than a public school. Last time I checked UMiami has a hospital formerly Cedars, Nova doesn't have one, and FIU is building TWO Medical Complexes. One on campus and one along Miami International Airport.
4. Cost? The same bar is taken, no matter what institution you attend. I'm not going to waste a ridiculous amount of money for a degree only respected in the Miami area.
Bottom line: Go where it benefits you, If I was going to stay in South Florida then I would go to FIU or whichever school gives me more money. Don't be near-sighted and research each school and develop your own formula. Those are my two cents.
I was in the position to chose between UM and FIU law. I got into better schools like American and FSU but I really think the best place for me to do well in law school is home in Miami.

After talking to MANY very successful lawyers in the Miami area and asking them where should I go every single one said UM no question the two schools do not compare. These are some of the best and well known lawyers in the area talking. Great you know two people from Miami Law that were bad. UM law ranks 20 in Super Lawyers magazine which is based on which schools have the most lawyers in their magazine. UF was number 8. Of course FIU has a very small alumni base so you cannot really compare the two based on that ranking but still it shows something. FIU is not known anywhere outside the state of Florida. I do believe FIU will continue to grow and become a tier one school but it has a lot of growing to do. As the lawyers of Miami made it an easy choice. If you want the best shot at a job the two schools do not compare and it should not be a decision. Of course if money is a big factor then that is different. Thankfully the difference in tuition is not the most important thing for me.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 30,526 times
OP here.

Wow, 3 years later I randomly look into this board and see my thread on the top page! Figured I should provide an update.

I ended up not going to FIU, or any law school for that matter. I realized that more school and a desk job wasn't going to make me happy, so I saved up money and got a pilot's license- commercial helicopter, to be exact.

I've been reading all the articles about how legal jobs are increasingly hard to come by and there's growing student discontent with 3rd and 4th tier law schools which leave them in debt and with no job to show for it- I think I really dodged a bullet, and I'm happy I did what I did.

Still plotting on how I can eventually move to Miami!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse450 View Post
OP here.

Wow, 3 years later I randomly look into this board and see my thread on the top page! Figured I should provide an update.

I ended up not going to FIU, or any law school for that matter. I realized that more school and a desk job wasn't going to make me happy, so I saved up money and got a pilot's license- commercial helicopter, to be exact.

I've been reading all the articles about how legal jobs are increasingly hard to come by and there's growing student discontent with 3rd and 4th tier law schools which leave them in debt and with no job to show for it- I think I really dodged a bullet, and I'm happy I did what I did.

Still plotting on how I can eventually move to Miami!
Thats fantastic. Pretty funny you say pilot license thought you would say that. If I was not going to law school I would be go after a career in flying. Flying an Airliner would be my dream has been since I was 10 years old. However with how difficult it is to get a job in the airline world and how horrible the pay and benefits are I might as well try to make enough money to just fly for pleasure instead. Being stuck flying a CRJ and making under $30,000 for years is not something I want to do. It is true though there are way too many law schools out there. Thankfully I wont be going to a tier 3 or 4 school so hopefully I will be able to pull out a job and start saving up for that Cessna 172
Safe Flying to You...

Old 05-25-2011, 05:49 PM

9 posts, read 46,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Why didn't Nova apply for AACSB accreditation from the beginning? This is my main concern.
Nova is seeking AACSB accreditation to stay relevant. FAU opened a campus just a few blocks away (and are accredited) so Nova really had little option.
I think it's a great move for both the institution and current/past MBA students.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
FIU law school jumps in the rankings - Schools - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/13/2691890/fiu-law-school-jumps-in-the-rankings.html - broken link)

Looks like FIU is on the rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami