Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 07:50 AM

195 posts, read 130,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
The same thing happens with other Hispanics. I am white Cuban. A Mexican-American friend of mine down in Texas thought I was lying about being Cuban. "You're too white, your hair isn't curly and you don't have an ass!"

Your friend sounds more anglo American than Mexican...any Mexican person knows people of all skin complexions, including pretty fair/ European. Just watch Telemundo or Univision :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
If your Spanish culture is so important to you, what are you doing here? Seriously, I'm quite liberal as far as immigration goes, but you have to admit that those who resent immigrants do so at least partially because they see those who hang on tenaciously to their heritage as a threat to their own heritage.

Let me both agree and disagree.

Agreed: There are many countries and areas in the world to enjoy a Spanish-centric life...if we're here it's better for everyone, including US, to learn English and US culture and history, to adapt...and still celebrate what makes us unique, these are not contradictory at all.

Disagreed: I believe the main reason some "resent immigrants" is because of the whole legal/ ilegal immigration mess. We should have a clear, rigorous, "merit-based" system like Canada...would be better for everyone, including immigrants.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:04 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
If your Spanish culture is so important to you, what are you doing here? Seriously, I'm quite liberal as far as immigration goes, but you have to admit that those who resent immigrants do so at least partially because they see those who hang on tenaciously to their heritage as a threat to their own heritage.
Cubans are famous for that.....the grandkids are more Cuban than their parents

Old 02-07-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Cubans are famous for that.....the grandkids are more Cuban than their parents
Something to admire them for!

They remain Cuban AND they speak perfect English and thrive here.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:32 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Am I the only one that sees the grammar error "their" and the words "knowledge" and "ignorance" in the thread title and has a laugh?

Old 02-07-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsha7277 View Post
Something to admire them for!
They remain Cuban AND they speak perfect English and thrive here.
I didn't mean that in a good way....LOL

...the kids try to come across as some little latin gangsters

Old 02-07-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I didn't mean that in a good way....LOL

...the kids try to come across as some little latin gangsters

Certainly not those I know...they come across as super smart and fluent in two languages and cultures.

Exhibit A: the Mayor of Miami. Not that I know him directly but he's a great example.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsha7277 View Post
Certainly not those I know...
there's plenty of them out there....might not realize they were even born here....mistakenly thinking they just got off the boat

Old 07-14-2023, 12:50 AM

64 posts, read 94,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Why is this posted in the Miami forum when you are discussing midwest stereotypes?

I've never been to Alaska, I don't know anything about Eskimos or Inuits. I might research it more if I was going to visit but honestly its not a priority. So if you live in Kansas why would you be expected to know anything about Latin Culture?
Their are many Hispanics in both Missouri and Kansas from Mexico the United States and some from other Countries like Guatemala that have jobs that are not so great and they work very hard.Their is still ignorance towards them.Many Hispanics live in Arkansas now to and do the same type of jobs .

Old 07-14-2023, 12:58 AM

64 posts, read 94,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Why is this posted in the Miami forum when you are discussing midwest stereotypes?

I've never been to Alaska, I don't know anything about Eskimos or Inuits. I might research it more if I was going to visit but honestly its not a priority. So if you live in Kansas why would you be expected to know anything about Latin Culture?
Before I moved to Missouri I use to Live in Houston Texas where there are many Hispanics and a Hispanic culture.Also I don't like cultural ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami