Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 17,240 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Me and my wife (30 years old, and no kids) are thinking about moving to United States from Europe, and if we could pick our favorite area where we would like to move, it would definitely be Miami or Fort Lauderadle area.

We have already visited 4 times in the past 10 years as tourists, in total we have spent about 2 months in Miami Beach, Miami Downtown, Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale, so we are familiar with the area. All of these places we enjoyed, each had it's own pluses and minuses but we would consider any of them.

However, I am aware that it's one thing to experience as a tourist and one thing to actually live there So I would really like to ask a few questions that experienced locals could answer.

1) CRIME: I have seen these maps on the forum:

Miami Dade Map Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...491289941&z=11

Broward County Crime Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...225415039&z=11

Would you say that anything outside of the green area would be considered very dangerous to live in?

Or some of you guys live in the blue/yellow areas and don't have problems?

We live in a very safe country where you can walk at 3 am at night and nothing will ever happen to you. To be honest, nothing has happened to us during our trips in Miami/FLL either, we just used common sense.

2) FLOODS, HURRICANES, REAL ESTATE

We would prefer to live in an apartment instead of a house. Are there any areas where apartment buildings have experienced more problems than usual related to floods, hurricanes, or any other problems that we might not be aware of.

Pretty much is there any advice how we should check if some building had history of problems, in case we find some apartment in it on Zillow that we like, to not make an expensive mistake.

3) BUDGET TO BUY APARTMENT

We would love to live in an apartment that is not more than 15 minutes far from the Beach.

Based on the prices on Zillow it seems that for $250.000 we could find some decent condo ( 500 sqft) even in Miami Beach and there are even bellow 200k options in Hallandale for example.

I see some of them have pools and gyms which would be very convenient if possible.

Do these prices seem real or there are some catches with these apartments?

4) BANK

For apartment that is of value of $300.000 let's say, what would be the most default downpayment that we are supposed to pay in a bank in order to buy?

We would probably have savings of about $100.000 to bring with us.

From what I have heard the banks in the US normally doesn't ask for such a big downpayment, but would we get the better deal in case we give more upfront?

The option that we have enough cash to buy the whole apartment without loan seems hard at this moment, but as we have some real estate in home country that we could additionally sell, perhaps we would even manage something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 07:43 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americki San View Post
Greetings,

Me and my wife (30 years old, and no kids) are thinking about moving to United States from Europe, and if we could pick our favorite area where we would like to move, it would definitely be Miami or Fort Lauderadle area.

We have already visited 4 times in the past 10 years as tourists, in total we have spent about 2 months in Miami Beach, Miami Downtown, Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale, so we are familiar with the area. All of these places we enjoyed, each had it's own pluses and minuses but we would consider any of them.

However, I am aware that it's one thing to experience as a tourist and one thing to actually live there So I would really like to ask a few questions that experienced locals could answer.

1) CRIME: I have seen these maps on the forum:

Miami Dade Map Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...491289941&z=11

Broward County Crime Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...225415039&z=11

Would you say that anything outside of the green area would be considered very dangerous to live in?

Or some of you guys live in the blue/yellow areas and don't have problems?

We live in a very safe country where you can walk at 3 am at night and nothing will ever happen to you. To be honest, nothing has happened to us during our trips in Miami/FLL either, we just used common sense.

2) FLOODS, HURRICANES, REAL ESTATE

We would prefer to live in an apartment instead of a house. Are there any areas where apartment buildings have experienced more problems than usual related to floods, hurricanes, or any other problems that we might not be aware of.

Pretty much is there any advice how we should check if some building had history of problems, in case we find some apartment in it on Zillow that we like, to not make an expensive mistake.

3) BUDGET TO BUY APARTMENT

We would love to live in an apartment that is not more than 15 minutes far from the Beach.

Based on the prices on Zillow it seems that for $250.000 we could find some decent condo ( 500 sqft) even in Miami Beach and there are even bellow 200k options in Hallandale for example.

I see some of them have pools and gyms which would be very convenient if possible.

Do these prices seem real or there are some catches with these apartments?

4) BANK

For apartment that is of value of $300.000 let's say, what would be the most default downpayment that we are supposed to pay in a bank in order to buy?

We would probably have savings of about $100.000 to bring with us.

From what I have heard the banks in the US normally doesn't ask for such a big downpayment, but would we get the better deal in case we give more upfront?

The option that we have enough cash to buy the whole apartment without loan seems hard at this moment, but as we have some real estate in home country that we could additionally sell, perhaps we would even manage something.
Hey there! So I used to live in Miami for 20 years (worked for the city), still go on business trips (I bring business to Canada/vice versa).

1. Crime: Miami has 2x the homicide rate compared to the national average. The map you provided is rather accurate, but a lot of violent crime still does happen in the green areas. Homicides are up this year, with the county hovering close to 150 homicides for the year. Violent crime is also up 30% YoY. Since Europe and Canada are very similar with low crime, this just shows how dangerous the city is compared to our countries and cities.

2. You're better off inland to be honest, near the coast or bay, it floods much easier. It's common for SoBe + downtown and surrounding areas to flood from a simple rain storm. Rain water has also leaked into skyscrapers, especially in Edgewater, thus trapping people in their buildings (elevators will breakdown/flood + garages will be flooded). We also have to mention that Miami has a lot of salt water infiltration, which impacts clean drinking water while corroding infrastructure. Then there's the issue of septic tanks... that's another story. Miami has been spared with hurricanes, but even the smallest tropical disturbance will shut the city down, it's pretty hilarious to see.

3. You won't find anything at $250,000, not even in the ghetto. If it's that cheap, it's probably an old, run down building on the brink of collapse like older buildings are in Miami (up until the 80s, they mixed sea water with concrete, which leads to structural deficits). And as someone who worked with the city, it's a common problem that city officials hide to ensure real-estate speculation keeps on going/kickbacks, etc..

4. For down payment, it's not usually that large but I don't know the rules now, especially with the hike in interest rates. When I did mine a long time ago, it was a 2% down payment, probably less lol. It's been a while.

Feel free to DM me for more information, I can answer any questions and if you want to move to another city, I can set you up

Old 12-10-2022, 08:24 AM

Thank you so much for your answer!

Please forgive me if I sound silly in any thoughts because I am really trying to figure out what's going on

For example I have found this apartment on Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...62030386_zpid/

$230,000 price, 535 sqft, basically right next to the Lincoln Road. It's written that its built in 2015, but I assume that's some remodeling not the actual year when building was built.

Any catch with these kind of deals?

Old 12-10-2022, 08:27 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Forget about moving to Miami if looking to buy a condo for $250K, let alone a decent one in a nice neighborhood not 40 years old.

Demand from out of state, WFH Americans and the return of South Americans since the lifting of Covid travel entry restrictions for fully vaccinated late last year—especially from Peru and Colombia—have driven up prices dramatically the past 2 years. While interest rates have also gone up and there are calls for an expected economic downturn/recession early next year, inventory remains low resulting, in just one example, a tiny newer 680 sq foot 1 bedroom condo at Park Grove in Coconut Grove listed at $900K still going into escrow in less than 2 weeks.

Look elsewhere in Florida with your budget.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-10-2022 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-10-2022, 08:30 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your answer!

Please forgive me if I sound silly in any thoughts because I am really trying to figure out what's going on

For example I have found this apartment on Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...62030386_zpid/

$230,000 price, 535 sqft, basically right next to the Lincoln Road. It's written that its built in 2015, but I assume that's some remodeling not the actual year when building was built.

Any catch with these kind of deals?
Definitely a remodel, the building itself is from the 60s or 70s. I lived on this street when I first landed there. It can get loud/rowdy sometimes, definitely floods during a storm. Apartment looks okay, the building is decent, I'd definitely get records or do an inspection of it.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Forget about moving to Miami if looking to buy a condo for $250K, let alone a decent one not 40 years old.

Demand from out of state, WFH Americans and the return of South Americans since the lifting of Covid travel entry restrictions for fully vaccinated late last year—especially from Peru and Colombia—have driven up prices dramatically the past 2 years. While interest rates have also gone up and there are calls for an expected economic downturn/recession early next year, inventory remains low resulting, in just one example, a tiny newer 680 sq foot 1 bedroom condo at Park Grove in Coconut Grove listed at $900K going into escrow in less than 2 weeks.

Look elsewhere in Florida with your budget.
Thanks. This is really something that I need to hear in order to get some kind of a reality check

Would you say that it would be hard to find some decent studio (500 sqft) up to $300k even in the Fort Lauderdale area?

Since you mentioned 40 year old buildings, is there some big issue with them? I ask because in Europe in many cities, even older buildings are in a good condition. Obviously they don't look new and fancy but they don't have issues either.

Old 12-10-2022, 08:41 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Not very familiar with Ft Lauderdale and rarely go there.

Many older buildings, in particular high rises, have to go through recertification inspections, along with accompanying assessments and reserves requirements, particularly after the tragedy that happened in Surfside last year.

Quote:
Thanks. This is really something that I need to hear in order to get some kind of a reality check

Would you say that it would be hard to find some decent studio (500 sqft) up to $300k even in the Fort Lauderdale area?

Since you mentioned 40 year old buildings, is there some big issue with them? I ask because in Europe in many cities, even older buildings are in a good condition. Obviously they don't look new and fancy but they don't have issues either.

Old 12-10-2022, 09:33 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Definitely a remodel, the building itself is from the 60s or 70s. I lived on this street when I first landed there. It can get loud/rowdy sometimes, definitely floods during a storm. Apartment looks okay, the building is decent, I'd definitely get records or do an inspection of it.
It last sold on 05/04/2015 for $257,000 it's strange that the current listing price is down to $230,000. I'd look into why that is the case. https://www.miamidade.gov/Apps/PA/propertysearch/#/ and enter 1611 Meridian Ave in for the address and look for APT 203.The M-D Property Appraiser's website states it was built in 1925.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:23 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:

Yes..........google surfside collapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KNwMSuwQ8w

Old 12-10-2022, 10:28 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Don't buy anything ...........come for a year and rent. You will quickly realize what you like/dislike about the areas.

Insurance is going to get super expensive on older buildings AND those buildings are going to need big money repairs to bring them up to the new state codes (designed to prevent collapses).

Me: 1925 building = headache, that area of South Beach has crazy traffic/parking issues. I'd be ready to leave after the first weekend. It also suffers from spillover crime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9xpvEfToMs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami