Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:28 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,638,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's interesting because I haven't been to one that doesn't. But that's besides the point, because that's not what this thread's about. It's about a new phenomenon of adding an 18% service charge and still expecting another 15%-20% added onto that as a gratuity.
They are not "expecting" an additional tip, to be clear. It's a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanSalmon View Post
It's more of a rule that you should expect included gratuity. Especially at any restaurant on Ocean Dr, Collins, Lincoln, or Espanola. But plenty of local places do it as well.

Automatic gratuities range from 15-20%, I've definitely seen a fair amount of places charge 20%. By law, it needs to be stated somewhere on the menu, if it's not, you can definitely pressure them to remove it from the receipt.

I have no idea where this automatic gratuity goes, but it seems to be split between all the service staff (food runner, waiter) and doesn't just go to the waiter. This is why some waiters perhaps push for more of a tip.

I always round up to 20% if the service is 'good' and if I'm not going to add extra tip, I cross out the area on the receipt and write in "Tip is Included."

I also test my server, if they notify me that the automatic gratuity was added then I tip them above. If they don't or try to scam me out of more money, I'll leave them nothing extra.

Personally, the jobs these waiters and waitresses do is not 'rocket science' and I don't know what they think they deserve, but it's certainly not that much money. If they don't like it, they can develop some real skills and get a better job.

As a rule of thumb, nearly every restaurant has a tip share. I'll explain how it works (generally speaking). 100% of your automatic gratuity (or tip if no auto grat) goes to the server. The server, at the end of the shift, is expect to "tip out" the supporting staff. ONLY front of the house - busser, food runner, bartender, hostess. It's illegal to tip share with back of the house - cooks/management/dishwasher, etc.

In my experience, it was about 25% of my total tips that would get handed out to supporting staff. But it's not based on tips, it's based on sales. Usually around 5% - 7% of your sales you tip out. Some less, some more, etc. Consider that if I had a table with a $100 tab that stiffed me, I would still have to tip out based on their $100 tab. Which means I had to pay our of my pocket for the pleasure of serving them!

I don't particularly like your opinion of servers. It's absolutely a real job, and professional servers can move into bigger and better opportunities. Joes Stone Crab for example. They make more than most of the commenters here and don't even work all year. Spending so much time in the business and owning a restaurant now, it's not just some "not rocket science" job and is very challenging. Some servers are naturals, some are not - and talent is very noticeable, really quickly. What exactly is a "real skill" - as many long time servers that work at higher end restaurants have perfected their craft equal to just about any other job's skillset.

Continue tipping 20% or more, they deserve it.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:47 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,360,226 times
Wow, what a 'class-ist' response.

Given that I too, dine out 80% of the time, my wife & I both managed restaurants and waited tables/tended bar, I couldn't disagree more.

There are plenty of restaurants where the server knows the whole menu, whats in the dish ,etc. You must not dine at them, or only go to the 'trendy' places which are here today, gone tomorrow.

Regarding education, I can assure you the servers making 6 figures in Joe's/Scarpetta/Hakkasan/etc are all educated. They choose this job for one reason or another.

Furthermore, I have no interest in a server learning my last name unless I'm a weekly regular. Otherwise, know the menu, be attentive, make recommendations, and get me my bill asap!

Old 07-03-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
No you wouldn't, you're still entitled to minimum wage. If your tips + wages don't add up to minimum wage for that day, your employer is obligated to make up the difference. This is Florida state law.

If someone stiffs you, they're either a foreigner (unaware of the tipping culture) or you did an egregious job as a waiter.

As someone who dines out every day at the medium to upper price point of restaurants, I can tell you that 90% of these servers are indistinguishable from their peers at lower end restaurants. They just dress nicer, if that's any consolidation.

Some of the best service I've had in Miami area has been Il Mulino (Sunny Isles location) and NAOE. Il Mulino because they bother to learn your last name and address you as such. Even such a small touch is completely absent by 90% of servers in Miami/Miami Beach area. NAOE because you get individualized attention. It's very common for you and your company to be the only one's dining, so the Chef, waitress etc are all yours.

So let me say I'm not very impressed by any level of skill the average server 'has' even at high end restaurants. Most don't even know how to approach the table without interrupting your conversation. Most don't have the sense of elegance to be invisible (I want my drinks filled but I don't want to see you doing this).

Most can't really hold a conversation about the dishes at their location. You ask for recommendations, and you quickly detect they have no idea how most of the dishes at their restaurant taste like. What's even worse is they have no concept of food in general - how to a certain dish should be prepared or which wine will work for this meal or which aperitif to take before and which digestif to take after.

It's of course because they come from lower class or middle class backgrounds, never were educated in this (like some of the top waitstaff in London are required to learn before working at any high end restaurant). They're FOB, land in some high-end restaurant and memorize your order. That's about the extent of their skill.

Oh yes, they try to be charming while doing it.
Yes, Wendy and crew at NAOE are exceptional. You are talking about a restaurant that runs $400+/person with more staff than guests. It's a different experience than just about anywhere else. A little humble brag any time you can, right? You aren't as special as you think.

If you actually dine out, and I'm sure you do, it's apparent who the good servers are and who the bad ones are. Clearly, you can tell the difference between someone who is talented and professional and someone who is not. The higher end restaurants tend to have higher end staff and the service is noticeably better.

As for this comment: "No you wouldn't, you're still entitled to minimum wage. If your tips + wages don't add up to minimum wage for that day, your employer is obligated to make up the difference. This is Florida state law."

I don't think you read my comment and made any attempt at comprehension.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I've been to just about all the better restaurants in Miami. The three you listed are among them, and I was not impressed with the service.

Though, the service wasn't terrible either. At least I don't remember being aggrieved.

For example, Juvia, I made sure the waiter was fired because he set my chopsticks on the bare table without a chopstick stand to separate it. Completely unhygienic, but not unsurprising considering most of the servers are immigrants from poor countries. He happened to be African-American and while I feel bad, a restaurant like Juvia shouldn't hire people out of Applebee's to be waiters.
Lol, right. You "made sure the waiter was fired." At least we established that you are just trolling at this point. You remind me of someone who was here a couple years ago who wrote very similarly.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
wait staff and professionalism run the gamut and there usually is a fairly good correlation between caliber of restaurant and the caliber of staff, with under performing waiters usually being weeded out from top tier establishments....clearly, there is a difference between a person working at a restaurant as a summer job or part time while attending college/grad school to pay their college tuition vs. a seasoned full time professional at a top restaurant with high standards/reputation and higher earning possibilities/high number of applicants for these higher paying gigs.

I wouldn't lump everyone together....would be like saying all MLB players are the same--quite a difference in talent level from a part time utility player vs. a Mike Trout or Aaron Judge.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I did. What apart of "you will get compensated minimum wage" if the customer stiffs you, do you not understand?

I know in your head you think you deserve more than minimum wage, but try harder next time.
Minimum wage is irrelevant to the discussion. You aren't making the point that you think you are making.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Of course it is, when we're talking compensation for hours worked.

As a server, you will never average below minimum wage for your time worked in Florida.
Nearly all jobs have a minimum wage requirement. It's irrelevant. It's a bit humorous that you still don't get it.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Of the two places which I know the manager/owner, the service charge goes to the servers. They charge this because many visitors do not know about tipping. They also charge this during specific times of the year like spring break and during that Ultra music fest.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
No I don't think you get it. I'm saying all you're worth to society is more or less the minimum wage. Which is what state law makes sure you get no matter how many customers don't give you a tip.

You got your money, you didn't work for free, or as you tried to imply, in the negative ('paid for the pleasure of serving them'). I know you want more money, but trust me, you need to learn some better skills than just memorizing people's orders, dressing in a suit, and smiling.
You do realize I'm not a waiter, right? I own a restaurant, among many other things.

And again, nearly every job is held up to the minimum wage standard. So your suggestion that waiting tables is somehow different in that regard compared to most other jobs is why it's irrelevant. You are suggesting that all jobs covered under minimum wage means society suggests you are only worth minimum wage... regardless of how much you actually earn. Your logic is ridiculous.

It's quite simple. You earn tips. If you have to pay out tip share on a table from tips that you did not receive, then you had to take money out of YOUR pocket, your tips, to pay for the pleasure of serving a guest who doesn't tip. The other staff get their share based on your sales, not a percentage of your tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami