Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:16 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post
I stand corrected. I looked at Yelp and although not all of these are restaurants it appears there are more than meets my walking eye: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...ell,+Miami,+FL

Yelp shows over 350 (although again not all are restaurants). Still quite a bit more than it felt like to me. To me, it feels so empty in Brickell. Maybe ~30 restaurants as I walked up and down the streets (not including pizza places, subway, etc.) Meant more nice restaurants. But apparently according to Yelp it appears like I'll need to walk slower and wear my glasses

However, I guess I am just comparing to other areas. Doing the same trick in Miami Beach shows over 6,000 restaurants! https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...ach%2C+FL&ns=1 I know MB is a bigger area - but perhaps that's why Brickell feels so empty to me. Just sig less restaurants per sq ft in the area.

1987? elchevre, we have got to buy you a cookbook and a wok!

That seems way too high. Trip Advisor has MB at 1,089 restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 AM

345 posts, read 268,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
I actually think it really has to do with style. Most of the buildings were built in Brickell in the time when the style was to have either a residential building or a commercial building, and not one with mixed use. It's harder to finance the mixed use ones.

But I totally agree. The "new urban" approach which has commercial on the first floor and residential above makes areas a lot more liveable. Where do you find that in Miami... Doral. We've got three developments using that approach - Downtown Doral, Midtown Doral, and CityPlace. Now if we could just build some public transit.

That's the old approach that somehow partially survived in old areas that were abandoned or neglected by suburbanization....

Calle ocho, flagler, miracle mile, coral way, grove village, downtown...which must have been beautiful during the 40's...Miami Beach..the area that was not a nursery.

Brickell was built by Brazilians imitating their condo models, no shops.

Doral was bush, manigua, the last time I was in the area.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:27 AM

20 posts, read 26,604 times
I remember when we first moved to Miami from a city in the NE in 2008. We weren't familiar with the area, and had many friends tell us we *had* to move to Brickell, that it was the bustling new hip area where all the restaurants were opening and all the young professionals were moving. We did a city-scouting trip and added Brickell to the list and couldn't believe when we got there that it was all brand new apartment buildings with nary a store front restaurant or retail in any of them. Some had restaurants *in* the apartment building, or small bodegas inside. But we could not believe the city of Miami permitted all these buildings without mandating sidewalk facing retail. This is standard practice in places like NY, DC, Phily, Boston, etc. That if you want to build such a massive building that is going to require a lot more government services/money, then you have to do something in return for the general public. Like provide retail services and operate within a master plan for community growth. I specifically remember we were walking down Brickell Ave at 11am and some woman was tearing down an alley in a Range Rover and honked furiously at us for, gasp, walking on the sidewalk. We did not like it then, and I still don't like brickell.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:55 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
To me, Brickell resembles Century City in LA.

Again, there are plenty of eateries--though not necessarily evident from the street while driving and many are located within residential or commercial buildings. If one desires more of a "street presence" there is always nearby Coconut Grove, suburbia--such as a Delray Beach or Gables, or more of a tourist vibe--such as SoBe.

Brickell is a modern, cosmopolitan urban section of Miami that is very walkable. Within a 5-7 minute walk (or less) from where I live is Publix, US Post Office, Fedex office, plenty of banks, Equinox (2 actually), plenty of eateries, bars, upscale cigar lounge, movie theatre, and more. Most things I need on a daily basis are within walking distance and even though I work from home (no commute required) I will wind up putting only 5K miles on my car per year--the majority of which comes from my wanting to check out nearby neighborhoods for some variety (Grove, SoBe, Gables, Midtown/Design District, Coral Way, etc) at my leisure and on my schedule/terms.

Brickell will never be a suburban master planned community (from which I nearly died from boredom in Southern California, Long Island, and whenever I visit Boca/West Palm) or Manhattan (of which there might be only 4-5 other US cities that even come close and on a smaller scale)...there are other problems one can bring up about Brickell (US born and raised white boy, such as myself, feels like a minority within his own country; traffic/congestion if one is forced to commute here for work; almost a claustrophobic feel if one does not live in a property on the bay or with a clear water view--not a sliver; drivers here absolutely
suck and have easily wrestled the title of worst drivers in the world away from Asians)....however, walkability and access to enough establishments that one needs to get through 97% of their daily activities are not issues...is it perfect?--no....am I guaranteed to settle here and/or live here the rest of my life (vs. a beach community or remaining in SoFla?)--not necessarily....but to compare this to financial districts in other cities that are ghost towns after 5 or 6PM and on weekends is not accurate, either.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-20-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post

1987? elchevre, we have got to buy you a cookbook and a wok!
yes, 1987....I tried BBQ'ing spaghetti, but the strands of pasta kept on falling through the grill....perhaps if I had laid them perpendicular I might have had better success and would have cooked since 1987.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:39 AM

64 posts, read 67,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coops905 View Post
I remember when we first moved to Miami from a city in the NE in 2008. We weren't familiar with the area, and had many friends tell us we *had* to move to Brickell, that it was the bustling new hip area where all the restaurants were opening and all the young professionals were moving. We did a city-scouting trip and added Brickell to the list and couldn't believe when we got there that it was all brand new apartment buildings with nary a store front restaurant or retail in any of them. Some had restaurants *in* the apartment building, or small bodegas inside. But we could not believe the city of Miami permitted all these buildings without mandating sidewalk facing retail. This is standard practice in places like NY, DC, Phily, Boston, etc. That if you want to build such a massive building that is going to require a lot more government services/money, then you have to do something in return for the general public. Like provide retail services and operate within a master plan for community growth. I specifically remember we were walking down Brickell Ave at 11am and some woman was tearing down an alley in a Range Rover and honked furiously at us for, gasp, walking on the sidewalk. We did not like it then, and I still don't like brickell.
This is sort of how I feel about Brickell (with limited experience). I love the NYC style condos and the walkability. But I feel like I'll tire rather quickly of the few restaurants and no shops. Starting to think I should consider Miami Beach/SoBe in the Fall. Guess I'll peruse apartments/condo rentals in both areas and see what is available. Clearly the better values reside in Brickell but maybe I can give up on amenities and get a nice flat at least. Really don't care about all the pools/spas etc, and I can join a gym elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
To me, Brickell resembles Century City in LA.

Again, there are plenty of eateries--though not necessarily evident from the street while driving and many are located within residential or commercial buildings. If one desires more of a "street presence" there is always nearby Coconut Grove, suburbia--such as a Delray Beach or Gables, or more of a tourist vibe--such as SoBe.

Brickell is a modern, cosmopolitan urban section of Miami that is very walkable. Within a 5-7 minute walk (or less) from where I live is Publix, US Post Office, Fedex office, plenty of banks, Equinox (2 actually), plenty of eateries, bars, upscale cigar lounge, movie theatre, and more. Most things I need on a daily basis are within walking distance and even though I work from home (no commute required) I will wind up putting only 5K miles on my car per year--the majority of which comes from my wanting to check out nearby neighborhoods for some variety (Grove, SoBe, Gables, Midtown/Design District, Coral Way, etc) at my leisure and on my schedule/terms.

Brickell will never be a suburban master planned community (from which I nearly died from boredom in Southern California, Long Island, and whenever I visit Boca/West Palm) or Manhattan (of which there might be only 4-5 other US cities that even come close and on a smaller scale)...there are other problems one can bring up about Brickell (US born and raised white boy, such as myself, feels like a minority within his own country; traffic/congestion if one is forced to commute here for work; almost a claustrophobic feel if one does not live in a property on the bay or with a clear water view--not a sliver; drivers here absolutely
suck and have easily wrestled the title of worst drivers in the world away from Asians)....however, walkability and access to enough establishments that one needs to get through 97% of their daily activities are not issues...is it perfect?--no....am I guaranteed to settle here and/or live here the rest of my life (vs. a beach community or remaining in SoFla?)--not necessarily....but to compare this to financial districts in other cities that are ghost towns after 5 or 6PM and on weekends is not accurate, either.
Good to hear it's not a ghost town at least. But it seems like it's Mary Brickell Village or bust for the "busy life" at the moment. At least thats my feelings from the few weeks I walked around. Interesting to see some of you like it, others don't. I guess it's all a personal taste as with everything in life.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 AM

Funny, but I rarely hang out at Mary Brickell Village...to me, the good thing about Brickell is that it is on the same side of the bay and close to Coconut Grove/Coral Gables/Coral Way (surface streets), downtown (walkable), and Midtown/Design District/Wynwood and SoBe (10-20 minute drive)...more options on this side of the Bay...many who live on the beach tend to stay on the beach. Also, more tourists/transient to deal with at the beach. Beach will be more "whiter"/mix whereas Brickell will be more heavily Latino skewed and more professionals. My two cents. Depends what scene you are looking for and prefer.

Also, I am in my 50's so clubs mean nothing to me. I much prefer nice restaurants and bars, particularly with live music/bands. With the exception of Smith & Wollensky happy hour and Bodega on Wednesday nights, I cannot think of too many other places suited for my tastes at the beach. If you are younger than me your tastes will probably differ.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-20-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 12:30 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Good to hear it's not a ghost town at least. But it seems like it's Mary Brickell Village or bust for the "busy life" at the moment. At least thats my feelings from the few weeks I walked around. Interesting to see some of you like it, others don't. I guess it's all a personal taste as with everything in life.[/quote]

This is true, most of Brickell/Downtown are still pretty dead with exceptions to MBV and a few little spots here and there. I dislike Brickell because of how it was planned and all the hype it receives. Sure it has a lot of tall buildings, but pedestrian level still sucks, sidewalks aren't wide enough, they could've improved transport coverage/accessibility, and it was built too quick. I'm also harsh on it due to me living in other downtowns in cities (Toronto and my hometown Montreal) which are well-established downtowns and are beasts. Although I will say that if you compare Brickell to downtowns in the South, it's top 10 and it has improved, although slowly, it's still improved.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Brickell will not stand up vs. an established NE city (certainly not a Manhattan), but compared to downtown San Diego, which I moved from it is:

(1) cleaner, (2) more modern buildings, (3) demonstrably better restaurants, (4) more professionals on the street; (5) demonstrably less homeless population presence on the streets, (6) more clean cut crowd (I rarely see tatted out bro's on the street with 9 month, 2 foot, ungroomed beards with shaved heads and dress codes are enforced in Miami at nice establishments); (7) better nightlife--in particular for professional adults older than 35; (8) greater heterosexual population (opposite in SD); (9) lack of, or far fewer, police helicopters patrolling overhead or responding to crime at all hours; (10) less military presence....nothing vs. the military, but military town and sophisticated city are usually mutually exclusive and (11) no freight train running through the city in the middle of the night (Miami does have drawbridges--but the boats do not make noise.)....then add in the fact you can often get a newer, larger and more modern condo for 25-35% cheaper in Miami on top of this. Better lifestyle for less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Good to hear it's not a ghost town at least. But it seems like it's Mary Brickell Village or bust for the "busy life" at the moment. At least thats my feelings from the few weeks I walked around. Interesting to see some of you like it, others don't. I guess it's all a personal taste as with everything in life.
This is true, most of Brickell/Downtown are still pretty dead with exceptions to MBV and a few little spots here and there. I dislike Brickell because of how it was planned and all the hype it receives. Sure it has a lot of tall buildings, but pedestrian level still sucks, sidewalks aren't wide enough, they could've improved transport coverage/accessibility, and it was built too quick. I'm also harsh on it due to me living in other downtowns in cities (Toronto and my hometown Montreal) which are well-established downtowns and are beasts. Although I will say that if you compare Brickell to downtowns in the South, it's top 10 and it has improved, although slowly, it's still improved.[/quote]

Last edited by elchevere; 06-20-2017 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 03:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Lots of great places in the Brickell/downtown area.

Ten years ago the same area wasn't really even safe at night. I certainly wouldn't have walked anywhere by myself.

The area has done a complete 180 in the past 10-15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami