Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a resident of Miami Beach I want
Specific Legislation to kill Urban Beach Weekend 13 65.00%
Legislation to rollback liquor sales on Ocean Dr 365 days of the year 2 10.00%
both 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 09:44 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,359,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPelican View Post

Who does tourism really benefit? Not me, not anyone I know. It doesn't pay our bills. It doesn't put money in our pockets (though there are several business owners who live by me that it does). It helps a lot of barely educated Miamians pay their bills by being waiters, waitresses, bouncers, etc.
Who does Tourism benefit?? Seriously?

The majority of Miami and Miami Beach's economy comes from tourism.

All those hotels, restaurants, shops, tours, taxis, etc. get their money from where? You and your neighbors?

I don't think so.

The fact that I even need to point that out shows ignorance on your part.

And your comment of "the other 360 days are low class tourists" makes me wonder why would you buy a $4ML Condo in an area that's full of 'low class tourists' and 'thugs'?

Plenty of other quiet, non-tourist areas that millionaires can go and be left alone (Palm Beach, Key Biscayne, Naples are just a few that come to mind).

Regardless, you can't ban a certain group of people from coming. You would have to ban things they like but end up banning them year round so the rest of us law-abiding people suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
It doesn't put money in our pockets (though there are several business owners who live by me that it does). It helps a lot of barely educated Miamians pay their bills by being waiters, waitresses, bouncers, etc.
Oh, I forgot to address this as well.

Lots of college grads work as waiters/waitresses in this city. Again, another igornant comment from someone who probably never worked in the industry.

Do you know what the wait staff makes at places like Scarpetta, Hakkasan, Prime112, etc? I can assure you its well above poverty and live a pretty nice life here in Miami Beach.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:12 PM

824 posts, read 1,178,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Ocean Drive Alcohol sales is not the problem and the Mayor is being short sighted. Miami'ians know to avoid the area on MDW, so those that guy, know what they are getting in to. The other 360 days of the year don't need to be punished and people love to come visit South Beach just for staying up late around Ocean Drive, drinking large glasses of god knows what, seeing all the people, etc.

Plus, early call on Ocean drive will lead to other restrictions around the beach. The police are doing a good job, but shootings can happen, they can't be everywhere. A guy in Florida yesterday shot a McDonalds manager because he got his order wrong. This world is full of crazy people, short tempers, too many guns, etc.

But over regulating Miami Beach will harm tourism throughout the year and tourism drives Miami Beach economy.

And banning a 'certain group' is unconstitutional.
I know that's right.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:15 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
I won't be around for that thug fest. But it's rather jarring to note that if I had stayed, I might encounter that baboon by accident and I could be the next statistic.
Somehow, I get the feeling that you wouldn't have referred to him as a baboon if he had been White.

Yeah, you're just a regular, normal, concerned resident, not the least bit racist at all are you?

Old 06-03-2017, 10:23 PM

51 posts, read 51,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Somehow, I get the feeling that you wouldn't have referred to him as a baboon if he had been White.

Yeah, you're just a regular, normal, concerned resident, not the least bit racist at all are you?
So you're defending the baboon who shot someone over a parking spot? Really!?!? You need to reevaluate your priorities.

What should I call someone who not only shot someone over parking but did so surrounded by police? Even a psychopath should realize that's a ticket to prison. He did not, because he's so stupid I don't believe he's the same species as other human beings. Look at his mugshot for more evidence.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post

Regardless, you can't ban a certain group of people from coming. You would have to ban things they like but end up banning them year round so the rest of us law-abiding people suffer.
We can ban alcohol just for Memorial Day weekend. I'm not sure why you think we can't because we can. Already we have special rules for "high impact weekends" it's easy enough to just add no liquor sales to the long list of rules. Just because Levine is against it is unimportant- Grieco is for and he will be the new mayor. Already the business are offering a compromise where they will agree to early late call on Memorial Day weekend to avoid the 365 day rollback.

But rest assured- Urban Beach weekend won't happen again.

As for me, I bought when Ocean Dr wasn't so trashy and where I was assured the Savages don't go south of Fifth. If this continues I will sell and leave. I value my safety. I chose Miami Beach because I like the beach and urban setting combo .... but due to safety issues I'm rarely here anymore.

Last edited by RustyPelican; 06-03-2017 at 10:43 PM..

Old 06-04-2017, 12:40 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
We can ban alcohol just for Memorial Day weekend. I'm not sure why you think we can't because we can. Already we have special rules for "high impact weekends" it's easy enough to just add no liquor sales to the long list of rules. Just because Levine is against it is unimportant- Grieco is for and he will be the new mayor. Already the business are offering a compromise where they will agree to early late call on Memorial Day weekend to avoid the 365 day rollback.

But rest assured- Urban Beach weekend won't happen again.

As for me, I bought when Ocean Dr wasn't so trashy and where I was assured the Savages don't go south of Fifth. If this continues I will sell and leave. I value my safety. I chose Miami Beach because I like the beach and urban setting combo .... but due to safety issues I'm rarely here anymore.
Perhaps it is time for you to leave over a 3 day holiday weekend that doesn't impact you the other 362 other days of the year.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
If this continues I will sell and leave.
Bye Felicia!

Old 06-04-2017, 10:08 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Most businesses close that weekend to avoid the hassle of the incoming group. If more continued that trend, it would no longer be attractive

Old 06-04-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Most businesses close that weekend to avoid the hassle of the incoming group. If more continued that trend, it would no longer be attractive
I wouldn't say most, some do. And the one's that close are usually spots frequented by locals not tourists.

The establishments that target the ghetto crowd on Ocean, Washington are almost always open. I know Josh has closed Mango's in years past. Not sure if he did it this year.

But we are going to force them to. Yesterday someone high up in the MBPD assured me big changes are coming to Ocean Dr. it's time to kill the music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami