Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,375,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post

I'm sorry, I think I'm being dense here. But you are saying:
1- week 1, search for apartments.
2- end of week 1, make offer of $x for apartment.
3- fly back to California day 8.
4- Stay in California for 21 days.
5- Fly back to Florida for "in person orientation/interview". Assume approval, but understand I could be denied and if so, this whole process has to start all over again.

To stop the above from happening, I assume it would be better to stay in Florida for interview after offer is accepted, correct? Then fly back to California. Am I understanding this properly?
No, you got it.

Except for your last sentence. Interview/Orientation doesn't happen until after they've approved your application (which takes 1-2 weeks). Once you've done your orientation you would meet the realtor and get your keys....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 12:59 AM

64 posts, read 68,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
No, you got it.

Except for your last sentence. Interview/Orientation doesn't happen until after they've approved your application (which takes 1-2 weeks). Once you've done your orientation you would meet the realtor and get your keys....
Oh, I think I see now. They approve or deny me after application without an in person interview (1-2 weeks after submission). What sort of documentation do they require?

Also - may I ask what your experience is re negotiating? That is, if Zillow or MLS shows a rental at $3,200 p/mo. Do owners/landlords accept $50, $100 or $150, etc, lower p/mo for the right applicant? Or is this just not done here? In NYC it wasn't. However, I found in Los Angeles it was sometimes. SF used to be, not so anymore.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:01 AM

874 posts, read 905,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post
Oh, I think I see now. They approve or deny me after application without an in person interview (1-2 weeks after submission). What sort of documentation do they require?

Also - may I ask what your experience is re negotiating? That is, if Zillow or MLS shows a rental at $3,200 p/mo. Do owners/landlords accept $50, $100 or $150, etc, lower p/mo for the right applicant? Or is this just not done here? In NYC it wasn't. However, I found in Los Angeles it was sometimes. SF used to be, not so anymore.
Honestly, it really depends-

1) How long the unit has been available?
2) What other units in the building have been renting for?
3) How good a tenant are you?
4) How rational the landlord is?

I deal with a lot of relocations, and most of the time my stellar applicants are able to negotiate a price reduction. But I have seen cases where they should have been able to negotiate a reduction, and the landlord didn't cooperate. Since it was the only place they liked, they rented it anyway, but there's a ton of options in Brickell, so you should have plenty of options.

Also, please if you see a place you like, don't hesitate, make the offer. There's nothing worse than seeing a potential tenant hesitate and then someone else grabs it while they think. Clean, well-maintained, correctly priced units simply rent very quickly.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:34 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,375,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Honestly, it really depends-

1) How long the unit has been available?
2) What other units in the building have been renting for?
3) How good a tenant are you?
4) How rational the landlord is?

I deal with a lot of relocations, and most of the time my stellar applicants are able to negotiate a price reduction. But I have seen cases where they should have been able to negotiate a reduction, and the landlord didn't cooperate. Since it was the only place they liked, they rented it anyway, but there's a ton of options in Brickell, so you should have plenty of options.

Also, please if you see a place you like, don't hesitate, make the offer. There's nothing worse than seeing a potential tenant hesitate and then someone else grabs it while they think. Clean, well-maintained, correctly priced units simply rent very quickly.
I second everything she said about the factors of negotiating and losing a place to someone else.

In Miami, everything is up for negotiation :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: