Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Also consider that southern Florida also includes Broward County and Palm Beach County where your dollar goes a bit further than in Miami. But even there, I believe that rent on a 3/2 apartment in a decent neighborhood would be a minimum of $1200 and more like $1500 (and up).
Yes, I live in North Broward and rentals in nicer areas average about $1500 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Also keep in mind that many residents here stay indoors here for 6 months of the year (May through October) due to oppressive heat and humidity. It is really trading one problem for another.

You describe such a nice lifestyle in Chicago on a modest income, you have a good thing going for you and your kids. Why risk ruining it? I would look at some winter time vacations with all the money you would save by staying put OR look to other more affordable destinations in Texas...or other parts of Florida.

You will not find a house for under 200K here, unless it was in the heart of a ghetto and most likely even then it would be a tear down....not fit for habitation. Apartments with 3 beds and 2 baths (if you found them) for 1K a month would be subsidized housing with poor schools, and in a bad area as well.

I hate to say it, but you missed the boat of affordability in Miami by about 5 years. I know a lot of African American families are attracted to Orlando...so you might want to lookinto that also.

If you DID manage to find a home like one of the posters said, in your price range, insuring it would be a whole other expense, with very high taxes, and most likely horrendous schools. Where in Miami are those nice cheap houses you have seen on realtor dot com?

The one area I would recommend to you if you just HAVE to live in Miami and will compromise on some issues would be North Miami WEST of I-95. It is a diverse area, Hispanic and Black (Caribbean Black mainly). The homes are generally under 300K there, and you could find some closer to 250 in somewhat decent shape. It isn't the ghetto, but it isn't what it used to be 20 years ago either. The immediate area is lacking in services, but you are close by to many nice areas. The schools are not great, but I think that FL schools in general are not that good, and you would have the chance of charter or magnet schools if this is a big issue. Look for homes north of 122St. and west of NW 7Ave all the way up to around the 150's Sts. Off the main roads, the neighborhoods have reasonable well kept homes, mini traffic circles and a few parks and community pools here and there. Other areas may be cheaper, like Carol City, but don't even waste your time looking into those communities.

Also, many Black families have and are leaving Miami for other reasons (all races are, but even moreso the African Americans.) That is another issue, just be aware of that.

Don't worry too much about the hurricanes. They are a real threat, and to be quite frank, we are a sitting duck and things could get bad, but the Odds of that happening are slim...and there are reasonable preparations one can take. Also, hurricanes are truely devastating in small areas (the eye core). So even if a hurricane hit Miami, Ft. Laud might be spared....so I wouldn't advise against moving here because of hurricane threat alone. Now, buying in a low lying storm surge area is a whole different story.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 PM

551 posts, read 3,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Also keep in mind that many residents here stay indoors here for 6 months of the year (May through October) due to oppressive heat and humidity. It is really trading one problem for another.
Good point. I moved to Miami looking for great, sunny weather year-round since I like to be outside. I was sick of the terrible winters and wind in Chicago! But, the summers here are similar to the winters in Chicago in that you just don't want to be outside for anything...yes, it really is that bad! It's only February and I've had to break down and buy a gym membership for the treadmills because it's just too humid to run outside anymore...I literally can't breathe. On the positive side though, if I had to pick cold Chicago winters or hot Miami summers, I'd still pick hot Miami summers any day!

Having lived in both places though, the quality of life is much better overall in Chicago.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 PM

96 posts, read 366,103 times
Miami is NOT the place to be if 1) money is tight and 2) you have a family. The rent is quite high and the cost of living is very high as well. Nevermind the fact that many people choose to put their kids in private school (and that is very expensive).

If you are dying for warm weather, I would say look in other places in Florida or the south (I hear North Carolina is nice although I've never lived there?).

Honestly, though, Chicago sounds like a better gig.

Oh! I forgot. Miami is one of the most racist places I've ever been too. Something to consider.

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-21-2008 at 07:30 PM..

Old 02-20-2008, 02:45 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
Default ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariecug View Post
Oh! I forgot. Miami is one of the most racist places I've ever been too. Something to consider.
Marie: I chuckled when I read your post. Are you white? Or some other ethnicity? I only ask because your post might make more sense to me. Trust me, America as a whole is pretty racist. It is embedded in our history and honestly I don't think we will ever get away with it. Plus, have you ever lived in L.A.? Everyone hates everyone there.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
I make more than 45k (but not too much more), bought my house 5 years ago, have a 10 year old car, am very frugal, and still dont put away too much at the end of every month by the time all is said and done. By myself. With a wife and 3 kids?!? forget it! Unless as someone said, she makes another 45k and the kids are all old enough for school. And of course if you bought my house today you'd easily pay double what i pay (even considering), but you could rent it for just a little more than I pay for it. So think it all out before you do anything.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:05 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Fleeingsnow.I want to give a honest opinion in my view.

I was raised in Miami,listen to everything people have said in this post.I left last year,if I were you I would look at outside areas of Tampa.Very nice houses to be had for 150k and dropping.A good mix of people here too.

The downside is the job market is bad right now due to the economy but that doesn't mean you can't find a decent job,I did.However the tradeoff is that you may have to commute,maybe a hour away from Tampa.

There are many options this way though,you can live north of Tampa,you can live in Lakeland which is a hour commute to Tampa or Orlando.

Give it thought,but whatever you do see it for yourself first and make sure that's what you want.

Other areas in Fl may be less expensive but then the job market really becomes a problem also.Stick to a community not too far from a decent sized city.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 7,091 times
Most of downtown Miami is still not safe and as far as housing within your price range it's doubtful unless you live in Kendall ( suburb of Miami) and commute but, I wouldn't wish that commute on anybody. Your salary will be a struggle for you and your family in Miami. Maybe u should try Tampa or Orlando area.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:26 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Yeah, I have to agree with the posters recommending you look elsewhere or stay where you are. Everything is more expensive here - taxes, insurance, and real estate can easily be eaten up by a $45,000 salary just by themselves, and that's for a median priced home on a fixed mortgage. I think why S Fla is really being hit in the housing crisis, is that like Cali, everyone here got an ARM just to be able to get by and are now getting caught. Housing prices jumped at the same time homeowner's insurance skyrocketed and property taxes are easy to underestimate if you went by what the old owner was paying. It takes about 2 years to get to what you really pay for taxes and it can easily be a $5k a year increase.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:16 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,455 times
Hialeah Home in Suntan Village For Sale - 801 E 16th Pl (http://miamidade.expertrealty.com/hialeah/home-details/d1251407-suntan-village-801-e-16th-pl - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami