Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM

23 posts, read 29,554 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm a 33 year old business owner and I've been contemplating on moving to Miami maybe for 6 months to see if I like it. So far I'm looking into moving to Brickell, SoBe, etc. with a budget between 3k-4k a month. However, I wanted to know from local Miamians what the social scene is like far as nightlife, culture, mentality, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,858,561 times
You will even be able to upgrade to a V12.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:27 PM

4,500 posts, read 3,955,780 times
I'm not sure that "nightlife, culture & mentality" belong in the same sentence. If you're making $ 18,000/mo, what's with the $ 3,000 - $ 4,000/mo budget? Is that for drinks alone?

Old 04-06-2016, 06:35 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm not sure that "nightlife, culture & mentality" belong in the same sentence. If you're making $ 18,000/mo, what's with the $ 3,000 - $ 4,000/mo budget? Is that for drinks alone?
$3k - $4k/mo budget is pretty responsible for a $200k salary.

I don't think there was anything wrong with this guys post. Maybe some of you more seasoned Miami Beach people can help him out. Majami, point a finger at you.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:13 PM

892 posts, read 864,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8don View Post
Hey guys, I'm a 33 year old business owner and I've been contemplating on moving to Miami maybe for 6 months to see if I like it. So far I'm looking into moving to Brickell, SoBe, etc. with a budget between 3k-4k a month. However, I wanted to know from local Miamians what the social scene is like far as nightlife, culture, mentality, etc.
The nightlife varies quite a bit. A lot of its tourist driven, and some of it is local. Both can be fun depending on your mood.

Here is a rundown though -

Ocean/Washington between Lincoln and 5th is very tourist oriented, it's also more of our trashier tourists who come down and party there. Clubs are Mangos, Icon (used to be called Mansion), Cameo, Fat Tuesday, Score/Trade, Dream, Clevelander, Senior Frogs to name a few. The names I mentioned get filled to the brim with tourists, who are looking foreward to getting trashed. When there is a violent incident on Miami Beach, it tends to be here. Washington is a bit seedy - a lot of tattoo parlors, questionable people roaming at night, homeless.

Then you have Collins beyond Lincoln - most of the nightlife there centers around Hotel Bars. It's not necessarily less touristy, just a bit classier. You have lounges like The Wall, Mynt, Mokai but I personally love the hotel lounges. You can bet that every hotel (or almost every hotel) has a lounge, with their own cocktail menus, ambience, music. Good place to meet a tourist, whose educated, and strike up a conversation. There are locals who frequent these places too.

Along Alton you have some more locals areas like Yardbird, Bodega, Foxhole, A&B etc. They are kind of hipster, and many of them pride themselves as 'speakeasies' (Bodegas is a restaurant with lounge in the back, hard to find if you're not looking for it, Foxhole is inside a unmarked building, so is A&B).

Lincoln is mostly for dinners, they do have SET, which is another lounge, and then they have a lot of Hookah places. Good for conversation late at night. On top of Yuccas they have latin dancing lessons and try outs.

Finally we get to SoFi/South Pointe. It's sort of quiet, but my favorite club Nikki's Beach is there (again mostly a tourist crowd), say you're on Stephanie's waiting list, that's a keyword for locals. There is Ivy's (technically just outside of SoFi) and Story (same people who own Liv). There is also a Kava lounge and Cibos (a great wine bar but closes early). Ultimately SoFi is a very quiet neighborhood, we even have "no honking signs" everywhere, but there are a couple clubs and late dinner places to meetup.

Liv is in Mid-Beach, inside the Fontainebleau hotel, for better or worse, it's now the most famous nightclub in Miami Beach, I like Nikki's beach better.

Broken Shaker is an awesome bar, there is 27 restaurant Bar and Grill as well as a hostel.

Ultimately this is for Miami Beach, one point is Miami Beach is such a tourist place, ultimately most of our locals are overcrowded with tourists. It's a little better in the summer/fall. Brickell has a lot more alternatives for Yuppies. Check out American Social, Blume, Komodo, Blue Martini, Fifity Ultra Lounge, among others.

Little Havana has a lot of good local/dive bar type areas with live music. Check out Ball and Chain. Think a more working class, as opposed to young professional scene of Brickell.

There is a 24-hour entertainment district. The nightclubs here are gigantic and open 24/7. I know some people who wake up in the *morning* and go party there. Space is the biggest name. E11even is a famous club/strip club hybrid.

Wynwood has a lot of great places but with very artsy/hipstery undertones. I love Electric Pickle, Bardot is ok, and you can always check out House, Prohibition, etc (I think those are a bit outside of Wynwood but not sure the exact boundaries of that neighborhood).

Ultimately pick your places wisely. If you want to pick up a girl, the best places for that are the 3 lounges Mynt/Wall/SET. Why they are so good is they have no standing room, and they only let in guys who are with a woman or who buy bottle service (or if you have some connections). Women who come in tend to look for the first pack of guys who invite them to their table since there is no room to stand or dance leisurely. It's a huge gimmick but it works. Bottle Service is about 400-500$ at those places, so if you bring a friend, 250$ is not a bad night out.

Last edited by Majami; 04-06-2016 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 PM

874 posts, read 905,443 times
check out V8don's other posts folks...

Old 04-07-2016, 09:42 PM

23 posts, read 29,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
check out V8don's other posts folks...
The last post didn't go well apparently I didn't get any help with my other questions after it got hijacked in a totally different direction. And I guest I'll have no luck here lol. Thanks for the help.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: