Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 AM

308 posts, read 507,289 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I created a post in the Florida forum a while back stating how I have been looking for jobs outside of where I currently live (Capital Region, NY). I got a lot of good advice on there about different cities in FL to live.

Now as I'm further into my job search and have done a few interviews since then, I'm finding that there's a big demand in the Miami area for what I do (media managing). I've gotten calls back from quite a few places which is certainly promising.

My questions are as follows:

1. One of the potential jobs is located in Miami Beach on 17th Street. Is this a decent area to work? What about living? Could a guy making $45K-$60K afford to live right in Miami Beach or would I need to live somewhere more affordable?

2. The other job is located in Aventura, FL which I see is right near North Miami Beach. After a very brief Google search I get the impression that it's a decent area but may be quite expensive. Would I need to live somewhere else and commute with a salary of $45K-$60K?

3. If I do need to live somewhere outside of the coastal Miami areas, what cities would work for me? I am in my early-mid twenties, don't speak that much Spanish (took 4 years of it in HS but no where near fluent) but I don't mind Hispanic culture, and I don't mind driving short distances if I absolutely need to for work.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:55 PM

798 posts, read 1,463,286 times
If you are going to live in South Beach or Miami Beach I don't think you won't need to speak Spanish. Miami Beach is one of my preferred places and you will do it pretty good there surrounded by all those Art basel buildings. And in regarding that $45K -$60k in your field.. Umm.. can't tell ya honestly. All i've heard is wages sucks in Miami but maybe these companies are an anomalism.

Fort Lauderdale is the near city I thought in the first when you mentioned. Boca Ratón, West Palm Beach, and well.. Tampa area is not in the East Coast but it's a nice city if your job includes making short trips. (1.5 hours). 3

If I were you I'd take the Miami Beach job even if the wage is lower. You'll get too much fun than living around Aventura.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,903,676 times
You haven't said how picky you are. It's hard to answer the question if we don't know how small of a place you're willing to settle for, whether you require ocean views or can be inland, whether you like to party or live in a quiet area, what you'll want to do on your free time.

If you just want to live on the beach and don't care if it's a ground-level flood zone apartment several blocks from the beach and maybe 25 blocks North of the action, yes, you should be able to do it on this salary, especially if it comes with benefits.

You can also manage just fine out in the suburbs, and can be near some great busy neighborhoods if you're willing to take a small place and don't have pets. Or you can get a quiet place with lots of space and a long commute.

If you're craving lots of young professionals and bars, you may be able to get a place in Brickell.

The one thing I would suggest is make sure you investigate the company's solvency before accepting an offer. I know a number of people who are on the higher end of the market here, being recruited from out of state for salaries from 60k-100k+, and the one problem with the better paying jobs in Miami is that sometimes they're offered by fiscally irresponsible companies. I know one person who for example was offered a job at 75k, which was closer to a desirable area, versus another job offering 65k further out of town. The 2nd job could not come up in the offer, but the first job was delaying the paperwork even after he filled out some initial HR stuff. It turned out that the day he was supposed to receive the contract paperwork to sign for the 75k position officially (which oddly came after filling out the payroll type paperwork), they revoked the offer because they told him the company was in trouble and had overhauled its management, and the new management determined they couldn't afford to hire anyone at all because of the rampant waste in the company. Up until then, it had sounded like a sure thing. Then crawling with his tail between his legs back to the 2nd company, they said they had already hired someone else and moved on. Fortunately, a 3rd offer came up for 85k and everything worked out, but then the insides of that company are not too certain either, and they are always having to cut back. So check out the companies before making a decision - it would suck to make such a big and expensive move, be stuck in a year-long lease, and then in just a few months find out your company went under or are doing a big round of layoffs before bonus season sucks them dry. I have found that Miami companies pay a very wide range of salaries for many fields of work, but you have to be skeptical of everything - the lower offer may be underpaying you, the highest offer may be trying to squeeze 3 jobs worth of work into just one position, and the middle one might be offered by a company that isn't even likely to still be in business at year's end. If you love living in Miami, it might be worth the adventure anyway. But if you hate it, a poorly-run company can take you for one expensive ride.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
If you are going to live in South Beach or Miami Beach I don't think you won't need to speak Spanish. Miami Beach is one of my preferred places and you will do it pretty good there surrounded by all those Art basel buildings. And in regarding that $45K -$60k in your field.. Umm.. can't tell ya honestly. All i've heard is wages sucks in Miami but maybe these companies are an anomalism.

Fort Lauderdale is the near city I thought in the first when you mentioned. Boca Ratón, West Palm Beach, and well.. Tampa area is not in the East Coast but it's a nice city if your job includes making short trips. (1.5 hours). 3

If I were you I'd take the Miami Beach job even if the wage is lower. You'll get too much fun than living around Aventura.
Thanks for the advice and recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
You haven't said how picky you are. It's hard to answer the question if we don't know how small of a place you're willing to settle for, whether you require ocean views or can be inland, whether you like to party or live in a quiet area, what you'll want to do on your free time.

If you just want to live on the beach and don't care if it's a ground-level flood zone apartment several blocks from the beach and maybe 25 blocks North of the action, yes, you should be able to do it on this salary, especially if it comes with benefits.

You can also manage just fine out in the suburbs, and can be near some great busy neighborhoods if you're willing to take a small place and don't have pets. Or you can get a quiet place with lots of space and a long commute.

If you're craving lots of young professionals and bars, you may be able to get a place in Brickell.

The one thing I would suggest is make sure you investigate the company's solvency before accepting an offer. I know a number of people who are on the higher end of the market here, being recruited from out of state for salaries from 60k-100k+, and the one problem with the better paying jobs in Miami is that sometimes they're offered by fiscally irresponsible companies. I know one person who for example was offered a job at 75k, which was closer to a desirable area, versus another job offering 65k further out of town. The 2nd job could not come up in the offer, but the first job was delaying the paperwork even after he filled out some initial HR stuff. It turned out that the day he was supposed to receive the contract paperwork to sign for the 75k position officially (which oddly came after filling out the payroll type paperwork), they revoked the offer because they told him the company was in trouble and had overhauled its management, and the new management determined they couldn't afford to hire anyone at all because of the rampant waste in the company. Up until then, it had sounded like a sure thing. Then crawling with his tail between his legs back to the 2nd company, they said they had already hired someone else and moved on. Fortunately, a 3rd offer came up for 85k and everything worked out, but then the insides of that company are not too certain either, and they are always having to cut back. So check out the companies before making a decision - it would suck to make such a big and expensive move, be stuck in a year-long lease, and then in just a few months find out your company went under or are doing a big round of layoffs before bonus season sucks them dry. I have found that Miami companies pay a very wide range of salaries for many fields of work, but you have to be skeptical of everything - the lower offer may be underpaying you, the highest offer may be trying to squeeze 3 jobs worth of work into just one position, and the middle one might be offered by a company that isn't even likely to still be in business at year's end. If you love living in Miami, it might be worth the adventure anyway. But if you hate it, a poorly-run company can take you for one expensive ride.
Thanks for your advice and recommendations! Sad that companies play people like how you described.

As for your questions:

1. I am single with no pets and no kids.
2. I don't require ocean-front living but of course it'd be nice. I don't mind living in a neighborhood as long as it's safe.
3. I don't really mind living somewhere that is really quiet and I also don't mind living somewhere that's really hustly-bustly 24/7.
4. I would only be looking for a 1 bed, 1 bath. No more, no less.
5. I do NOT party. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. That scene isn't for me. I would be perfectly happy hanging out at a coffee shop or sitting on the beach all day.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:38 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,905,509 times
Would the Miami Beach job possibly be with Sapient? Just wondering because I read they're giving up that location and moving to Coconut Grove.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Would the Miami Beach job possibly be with Sapient? Just wondering because I read they're giving up that location and moving to Coconut Grove.
It's not, but thank you for looking out!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,903,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post

Thanks for your advice and recommendations! Sad that companies play people like how you described.

As for your questions:

2. I don't require ocean-front living but of course it'd be nice. I don't mind living in a neighborhood as long as it's safe.
3. I don't really mind living somewhere that is really quiet and I also don't mind living somewhere that's really hustly-bustly 24/7.
5. I do NOT party. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. That scene isn't for me. I would be perfectly happy hanging out at a coffee shop or sitting on the beach all day.

Perfect - you're easy, so that makes finding a place to live easy. If it really doesn't matter to you, then find a place you like that you can afford and move right in! If you have no preference at all, might as well move to a quiet cheaper suburb and save the money - although commute to Miami Beach might be tough from the mainland. If you like the ocean a lot though, then move into whatever you can afford and do the commute right down the street! You can definitely find stuff say 26th and further North that are affordable, some with the amazing views. Much more affordable will be inland on the island, with no view.

Do keep in mind the regular flooding, even when there is no hurricane. Get renter's insurance, and I would not recommend living on the first 2 floors either for flood or bugs. Have a plan for where you're parking your car, assuming you have one. If you read through the threads here, you'll find discussions of what to do about beach flooding and car damage - hopefully your work will have a multi-story garage or some kind of parking arrangement that's not just on the street.

Since you sound pretty chill, you'll probably have a great time in Miami (I don't know Aventura well to comment), and if you avoid worrying about the slumlord apartment maintenance issues that are common in Miami, you'll probably be happy you came. The key is not to take things too seriously. But also be honest with yourself, if in the end you're really going to hate being isolated, don't go to the suburbs, and if you are really going to hate noise and partying, don't live on the Beach. But if you really don't care, then just pick whatever works for you and have a good time. I only WISH I had had a reason to move to Miami Beach when I first came for my job - but the commute would have been prohibitive. I had a friend who rented an apartment overlooking the beach for around $1500 at the time (again, a bit further North), and if I were her I would never have left my apt. to go to work, I would have literally stared at that view all day, every day. I probably would have gone bankrupt, but it would have been worth it! But no, I had to be practical and live inland in the swamp...

Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 PM

463 posts, read 560,477 times
Quote:

As for your questions:

I live close to Flamingo Park on South Beach. So far I haven't had any problems with noise or excessive partying. It's as residential as it gets, yet close enough to the action if you want it.

If you want South Beach but a relatively quiet area, try to avoid anywhere close to Collins or Washington Avenue. Anything close to West Avenue, Alton Road, or South of Fifth Street you should be fine.

Above 19th street on Miami Beach, everything is largely residential and newer condos/resorts. Units tend to be in better condition and there are less transients/more established residents. You will get better house for your money; this might be the route you end up going if you're not a big party animal.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM

471 posts, read 622,470 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

I created a post in the Florida forum a while back stating how I have been looking for jobs outside of where I currently live (Capital Region, NY). I got a lot of good advice on there about different cities in FL to live.

Now as I'm further into my job search and have done a few interviews since then, I'm finding that there's a big demand in the Miami area for what I do (media managing). I've gotten calls back from quite a few places which is certainly promising.

My questions are as follows:

1. One of the potential jobs is located in Miami Beach on 17th Street. Is this a decent area to work? What about living? Could a guy making $45K-$60K afford to live right in Miami Beach or would I need to live somewhere more affordable?

2. The other job is located in Aventura, FL which I see is right near North Miami Beach. After a very brief Google search I get the impression that it's a decent area but may be quite expensive. Would I need to live somewhere else and commute with a salary of $45K-$60K?

3. If I do need to live somewhere outside of the coastal Miami areas, what cities would work for me? I am in my early-mid twenties, don't speak that much Spanish (took 4 years of it in HS but no where near fluent) but I don't mind Hispanic culture, and I don't mind driving short distances if I absolutely need to for work.

Thanks in advance!
That is a low income if Miami Beach is your target.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:18 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It's very helpful.

To the person that said it's a low income for Miami Beach, what would be a better target income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami