Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,883 times

Advertisements

I attended grades 2-5 there (56-60). It was called Merrick Demonstration School back then and was touted to have the 6 best teachers in the state and a very long waiting list. It was on the street just south of "The Colliseum". It only had one class for each grade when I started but by 5th grade had increased to 3 classes for each grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM

529 posts, read 1,144,927 times
I'm too young to remember that, but I remember growing up in a neighborhood around douglas park and my parents would always take me there as a kid. I loved that wooden playground....too bad they replaced it

Old 12-18-2011, 05:17 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
My grandma told me that it used to be an elementary school before.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,565 times
Default Yes - it was Dade Demonstration Elementary

I attended this school in 1955, when 1st grade was when you entered school. I loved this school. I remember (so long ago) planting flowers outside the class window and watching them grow, learning spanish (even way before the before) and enjoying my class - what a great school - to me it has always been the prerequisite to Nova -

Old 04-12-2012, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,565 times
I went to this school in 1955 - it was a great school - I really loved their teaching techniques - and then, after DDE, came Nova - wish my daughter had the opportunity of going here

Old 12-17-2014, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,530 times
Yes, that was Dade Demonstration School; a Dade County School. I attended during the 50's and do not know when it converted. My understanding is that it was called a 'demonstration school' because students here were the first to receive new county services or experimental ideas being offered to elememtary school children. I recall that each classroom had a lovely patio and the cafeteria food was actually decent. Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,115 times
I've live all my life around this neighborhood surrounding Douglas Park 40+ years. What's now called the the English Center back in mid sixties and late seventies the school was named Dade Elementary School. I attended from first grade all the way to sixth grade. My first crush was a teacher with long blonde hair by the name of Mrs Perez . Till this day I've never forgotten her name . I also remember the Art teacher Mr Green which was very strict with his students. And the unforgettable football game held on field named Bubble Gum bowl due gum dropped on the field. All players wore plain white with
there last name written with black markers. Brings back childhood memories that can't be forgotten.

JT

Old 06-21-2019, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 904 times
Here's some clarification: I went to Coral Gables Elem in 1st grade, then Dade Demonsration in 2nd. It was as if it were part of Douglas Park – no particular boundaries evident. I lived on 27 Lane, just across Douglas Road (37th Ave) &, of course, in those days ('55), walked to & from school unaccompanied every day. I was there for just one year. Then in 3rd grade –*because we moved to a large apartment on Santillane, closer to 8th St in Coral Gables – I went back to Coral Gables Elementary for two more years. The county (I suspect) adjusted school zones a bit & in 5th grade, I was sent to Merrick Demonstration School (which was actually several blocks closer to home but by then, wasn't much of a "demonstration school" anymore – but a regular elementary school that regular kids could go to! My very oldest friend (to this day) had been going there since he began school. His folks had needed to register him & his twin brother even before they were born.) So I was at Merrick for 5th & 6th grades, which was, as someone had mentioned, directly next to the Coliseum – variously a bowling & ice skating venue. Looking back at the aerial images, I see that's gone too! Coral Gables Elementary now appears to be a private school of some sort(?). Not entirely sure. Just going but the name on the maps. What is still the Coral Gables Women's Club, used have the Public Library adjoining it. Across the street. toward Ponce, was the Antilla Hotel. Nobody remembers THAT!!

Old 12-22-2022, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 438 times
Default Dade Demonstration School

I went to Dade Demonstration School in 4th and 5th grade: 1954-1955 and 1955-1956. In those Days, the school had a close relationship with the University of Miami (which I know because my Grandfather, who had been part of the development of Coral Gables, including the development of the University), the teachers were particularly good. I remember visitors from all over the world--particulary from Japan- came to see how our teachers were teaching. In fourth grade, our teacher Mr. Marshall took us to the local supermarket to explore how food was stored, marketed and distributed. In our classroom, we set up our own market with boxes and cans on the classroom shelves and a register on the table that we used to price the items we "sold," all of which was part of our math studies. We also learned about nutrition and what was good for us to eat. Outside, we planted a garden to grow vegetables, fruit and flowers. In fifth grade, we had a female teacher (I've forgotten her name because I lost the class photo). She focused on History, Poetry, Music and Geography. Each subject was hands on. For history, I learned about James Town and wrote and enacted a play with my classmates. I loved listening to the teacher reading Poetry (e.g. Edgar Allan Poe). For Georgraphy, our teacher turned our classroom into Brazil and we learned about their culture and music.
I left Dade Demonstration, when our family moved to a new house out of the Dade Demonstration School neighborhood. But I never forgot all I learned there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: