Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 15,771 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the help guys.
I am paying cash. Moving to miami in ten years is a possibility.
Which condos should I look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Buy gold if you want an investment, buy a home, not shares in a condo if you want to play the market. A crash could cause condo values to drop enough that an investor will buy the whole building and give you pennies on the dollar for your investment. Only a fool or someone flush with free Fed cash would put their feet in the Miami Brickell condo bubble now.

Crain's Chicago Business : Subscription Center

Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoMIA View Post
I currently rent in Miami Beach and commute to Miami Shores. My partner is moving from California in a few months and will be starting work in Kendall.
Hey, how about buying a nice HOUSE on a piece of LAND in Kendall where you will work? You can pick up a decent home for less than 300K and when the market crashes you can still sell for at least 50% of what you paid>

Old 07-09-2014, 10:57 AM

I don't think Brickell is at a bubble, at least in a 10 years perspective.
Also, I will only admit to buy the property (making me an individual proprietary) and not shares or anything like it.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:10 AM

You cannot buy property in a building, only condo shares. If the building is seriously damaged in a storm you are thrown on the street. Property is defined as a lot with a building, multifamily can only be a rental unit or condo. That's it. The building is supported by condo fees and when they don't get paid guess what, it goes bankrupt.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ually-own.html

Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You cannot buy property in a building, only condo shares. If the building is seriously damaged in a storm you are thrown on the street. Property is defined as a lot with a building, multifamily can only be a rental unit or condo. That's it. The building is supported by condo fees and when they don't get paid guess what, it goes bankrupt.

Buying a Condo: What Property Will You Actually Own? | Nolo.com
Thanks a lot for this info.
I didn't knew this.
If this confirms, i'm out...

Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 PM

It seems that only if a condo is co-op there's the need to buy shares.

Which condos should I start looking?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post

Buying a Condo: What Property Will You Actually Own? | Nolo.com
Also remember what is currently going on in central Florida, if the condo prices do drop enough and 80 percent of the condo owners wish the dissolve the condo association, a investor can come in and force you out for maybe 30 percent of you purchased the condo for.

The investors in central Florida are turning some of those properties into section 8 rental housing.

Brickell looks like will be ok, with all of the development that is planned, but a major Hurricane, or another bust after a Major Hurricane with repair assessments or underfunding of Insurance companies and that would be too much of a risk for me.

I rather have a home with no HOA fees or the possibility of losing complete ownership of my home.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:04 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
These people who invest in condos are not poor people, they are more then likely multi-millionaires at the least with a diversified portfolio reducing risk factors, they are not putting all their eggs in to one basket and not the one holding the bag as the last purchaser .

Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 PM

438 posts, read 653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoMIA View Post

Is this a good time to purchase a condo in Brickell (or anywhere in Miami for that matter)?

Depends on why you are really purchasing the condo. Is it to live in or are you a flipper/investor? If you plan to live in it then buy. If its for investment there are better ways to make money with your cash. How much cash do you actually have? You don't have to answer its just a question I'm throwing out there. Another adjustment is in the wings. If I had a several hundred thou in hand and i wanted to buy I would hold on for a bit. Don't freak out over what the realtors are telling you. Just be patient. The prices are going to calm down some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami