Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 6,204 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a school in Miami to complete my licensure requirements. The school is located in North Miami.

I currently live just north of Los Angeles. Any advice? Housing seems much cheaper. My kids will be 11, 7 and 4. My husband is currently an IT manager for a publishing company but has a hot rod business he has been building on the side. He is up for a move out of LA because we know that we will never be able to afford a house here. We had looked a Florida a few years back but were looking more at the Tampa area and admittedly, last years hurricane season hit and that definitely gave us second thought, lol.

Joie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 10:05 AM

243 posts, read 1,098,967 times
How much are you looking to spend? Interested in a Condo, townhome, or house? Miami has much cheaper housing costs than LA overall, though some of the more exclusive waterfront areas in Miami aren't far off from prices in nice areas of LA.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:32 AM

Default Under $300k would be good, lol.

The track house we are renting is about 500k here with no backyard. We would be looking to find another house. Like I said, my husband builds hot rods - HMA hate that . My kids are in public school and would likely continue that in FL, so that would be a concern. Ideally, I wouldn't ahve to work while I'm in school but if I have to, its not a huge deal.

Joie

Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 PM

243 posts, read 1,098,967 times
Under $300K for a single-family house in the Miami area will, to put it bluntly, get you a handyman special in the 'hood. Single-family homes in the North Miami area (North Miami-Dade county/South Broward County) in decent neighborhoods with decent schools that don't need tons of work will run $350K minimum.

As a car nut myself, I gotta tell you that if these are old hot rods your husband works on (1950's chevy's, '32 Fords, T-Buckets and the like) Miami might not be the best place in the state for him. Miami and most the rest of South Florida is comprised largely of immigrants and former New York City dwellers, and frankly they're not much into old hot rods. The central part of the state, like Orlando, Ocala, or Melbourne has a greater old hot rod fanbase.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 PM

Default well.......

At the risk of sounding like a snotty Californian, 350k, even 400 still sounds good. There is also the consideration that I really don't mind driving. With the exception of the job I have now, I've always commuted at least 30 miles each way for work.

As far as the cars, he does mostly the late 60's/early 70's muscle cars. He and his partner pick them up from around the country, modify them and then turn around and sell them mostly here in LA. The market is really good for it here. He would probably just be shipping them back when he's done.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

Joie

Old 10-19-2006, 07:53 PM

423 posts, read 1,646,517 times
I would personally suggest Souther Broward since it is very cental to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and even Palm Beach... Not to mention the school district is decent in most places... May be start with Miramar and some of the decent parts of Hollywood. I would suggest setting a reasonable budget of 400K (if not more) for a decent house. Please feel free to PM if you have any questions since I don't check the message board everyday.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 PM

25 posts, read 89,591 times
Our house is on the market in Miami. Very good area no one wants to sell around here, also great schools. We need to sell fast because we are relocating due to a job offer. We just lowered our price from 480k to $449k. Let me know if you need info

Old 10-20-2006, 02:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,800,691 times
Miami is horrible. If you even try to work on your cars Team Metro gestapo is right there to harass you. The heat and humidity is beyond description. I have lived in south Florida my whole life, for 37 years and was born and raised in Miami. It was up till recently somewhat affordable but hasn't been really priced right since the 1980's. Foreign investors have driven up the real estate prices while market forces and uncontrolled immigration keep wages low. Houses may look cheap compared to CA but wages are 1/2 from what I have been told by those who move here. You better have a good source of income because you can only live off those CA house profits for a short time. Also we have a 2% ad valorem property tax plus fees so get set to pay 6,000 or more a year for the "privelege" to live here. There is no cap on tax increases till you live here 2 years so rental properties are not profitable. Think hard before you move to this hell hole.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 PM

36 posts, read 218,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joieprice View Post
I'm considering a school in Miami to complete my licensure requirements. The school is located in North Miami.

I currently live just north of Los Angeles. Any advice? Housing seems much cheaper. My kids will be 11, 7 and 4. My husband is currently an IT manager for a publishing company but has a hot rod business he has been building on the side. He is up for a move out of LA because we know that we will never be able to afford a house here. We had looked a Florida a few years back but were looking more at the Tampa area and admittedly, last years hurricane season hit and that definitely gave us second thought, lol.

Joie
Miami gets hits with hurricanes twice as much as Tampa and the cost of living in South Florida is outrageous. Most hurricanes hit Florida from the Atlantic Ocean as opposed to the Gulf. Don't discard Tampa because of recent events

Old 10-22-2006, 02:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,407,809 times
Default Do the math

She won't have a profit from selling her home. She's RENTING.

Compared to LA wages, they will be making about 1/4 of what they are use to. Renters don't move to south Florida to buy a home. Not anymore.

We moved out of Florida because we were renters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami