Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 PM

67 posts, read 133,570 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm a college student at MDC's Wolfson campus. I'm from Miami Lakes, so I'm not all that familiar with Miami proper.

Do you guys know of any hangouts or other fun activities to do downtown or the surrounding area? Preferably during weekend afternoons. I'm not looking to blow off tons of money on gourmet meals, luxury wristwatches or overpriced electronics. I'm not trying to get into nightclubs or go on cruise trips.

I'm just looking for places where an 18 year old guy can chill with friends, possibly make new ones, and get to experience and see things unavailable in the suburbs. I'm quite interested in art, music, sports, and world culture. I like to think that I have a pretty open mind.

I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,516,539 times
You got me and I lived in downtown Miami and on Brickell for a bit when I was a college student. You've crossed off everything I can think of.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 AM

67 posts, read 133,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You got me and I lived in downtown Miami and on Brickell for a bit when I was a college student. You've crossed off everything I can think of.
Well when I say Downtown, I'm also including Brickell, Wynwood, hell, even Miami Beach if it's worth the bus fare. "The City", so to speak. I should have been more specific with that.

Actual downtown would be ideal though.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:37 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,891 times
visit the historical museum, art museum.....

Old 10-25-2013, 04:31 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
Well key Biscayne old bridge is close enough to brickell you can go fishing ( cheap), I haven't been to wynwood yet but there should be lots of art gallery.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Make sure you get a burger at the Filling Station.

Walk around Bayfront Park and Bayside.

Go to the museums in downtown and the ones just south of Brickell. Check out Vizcaya.

Right now Miami Heat have $24 tickets for weekday games in November and December

In Miami Beach just walking around Ocean Drive and Lincoln road, see a movie etc.. There are also some smaller museums in Miami Beach. Always can hang out at the beach it self.

Not too long from now the two new museums next to the arena will open. The new Art Museum and New Science Museum. Those are going to be great.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,461 times
There are running and biking meet-up groups if you're in to that. Also "bootcamp" and crossfit type stuff.
Skateboarding at "grand central park"
Marlins games
There are some new karaoke places in South Beach. People also play volleyball at Lummus Park.
Art walks in Wynwood.
Downtown book fair is coming up, usually there's live music in the evenings. Also live music at Bayside if often local groups.

Just realized that some of this doesn't qualify as "weekend afternoons" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami