Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM

51 posts, read 80,813 times

Advertisements

So, me and a friend of mine are thinking of starting a ice cream company. It's aimed at being big and selling mainly to big chains.

But since we both live on Miami Beach we don't want the company and factory to be to far off, so I was thinking Design District/Wynwood/Midtown.
Are there any industrial property left there?
We could have a "concept store" towards the street to sell ice cream to pedestrians, but having the factory in the back.

I never go there; anyone know if it could be pulled off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Overpriced and way too close to high crime areas. The food service industry here is quite crowded so your chances of success are maybe 10%. Miami Beach is a horrible place to live unless you have plenty of cash to burn. You would have to be one of a kind to make a hit there.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
If you are really thinking of starting this company you are going to take free advice on a public forum?

I like the idea for the shop though. I love ice cream. I will be a customer if its good.

You never go there? Get in the car tomorrow and take the 10 min drive. For some reason I never like giving out information for free if it is so someone can make money.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Overpriced and way too close to high crime areas. The food service industry here is quite crowded so your chances of success are maybe 10%. Miami Beach is a horrible place to live unless you have plenty of cash to burn. You would have to be one of a kind to make a hit there.
It's a company that's going first regional then national. To get it out and make it successfull isn't the problem.
What I'm about is were to have the factory.
Could I have it in Wynwood/Design District and combine it with a shop or have it somewhere out in western Dade in a non-descript area.

Is there any manufacturing industry left in the Design District/Midtown?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
They used to make windows and water heaters in that area, now I think it is just warehouses and odd artist shops. There used to be an ice cream shop on 8th street near velvet creme donuts. Both places manufactured and sold at the same location. Then again, we already have dairy queen and carvel.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
They used to make windows and water heaters in that area, now I think it is just warehouses and odd artist shops. There used to be an ice cream shop on 8th street near velvet creme donuts. Both places manufactured and sold at the same location. Then again, we already have dairy queen and carvel.
Again; the objective is not to sell ice cream at the street level, but to manifacture it and ship it of to shops around the country.
Main reason to have it there would be easy comuting from Miami Beach.

And if it would be located there an extra perk would be to have on-site sale to pedestraians. But that's not the focus.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Again; the objective is not to sell ice cream at the street level, but to manifacture it and ship it of to shops around the country.
Main reason to have it there would be easy comuting from Miami Beach.

And if it would be located there an extra perk would be to have on-site sale to pedestraians. But that's not the focus.
Here is some free advice because it is too easy not to think of.

If the focus is to sell bulk ice cream and its not going to be a speciality shop the LAST thing you should worry about is how easy your commute is and the FIRST thing you should worry about is price of land, workers, taxes and ease of getting materials in and out of the area. Not only is that area a terrible idea for it, Miami overall is probably a really poor choice for an ice cream distribution plant.

If you want some other advice, PM me. I have a small consulting type group.
I love ice cream so maybe I might be interested in this idea.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
The best advice I can give you is to not do a thing until you have a meeting with a mentor from SCORE.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 AM

529 posts, read 1,145,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Here is some free advice because it is too easy not to think of.

If the focus is to sell bulk ice cream and its not going to be a speciality shop the LAST thing you should worry about is how easy your commute is and the FIRST thing you should worry about is price of land, workers, taxes and ease of getting materials in and out of the area. Not only is that area a terrible idea for it, Miami overall is probably a really poor choice for an ice cream distribution plant.

If you want some other advice, PM me. I have a small consulting type group.
I love ice cream so maybe I might be interested in this idea.
this

Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Sharktank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami