Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Yes many in Miami are pretty shallow, which is sad to say. This probably could be said for other cities around the world as well. Why do you think we see so many leased BMW, Audi and Mercedes on the road? Leasing (vs Owning) is cheap on these lower end luxury cars ... which gives them that status symbol in the driveway or when they pull up to a restaurant at night.
It is. I saw on the classifieds those leasing offers on those BMW and Audi ecoboxes - something like $300-350 per month. And it's always those 3 Series and A4s. Frankly it's not even really a status symbol, a Chrysler 300C or a Taurus SHO costs more. At least they're more spacious, have more features, better engine, etc. But I'm fine with that, I can understand why they buy cars like these (build quality is great).

And I agree, there are quite a few shallow, image obsessed, people in this city (should note there are much nice, friendly, down to earth people here as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
It is. I saw on the classifieds those leasing offers on those BMW and Audi ecoboxes - something like $300-350 per month. And it's always those 3 Series and A4s. Frankly it's not even really a status symbol, a Chrysler 300C or a Taurus SHO costs more. At least they're more spacious, have more features, better engine, etc. But I'm fine with that, I can understand why they buy cars like these (build quality is great).

And I agree, there are quite a few shallow, image obsessed, people in this city (should note there are much nice, friendly, down to earth people here as well).
Where are they?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM

5,021 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Where are they?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Where are they?
Well at least where I work, and where I live most people are courteous and friendly. A small, but significant, number of people in this county are like that, that's a fact. Also, I should emphasize that this kind of thing will vary a lot, if you live in Overtown or Hialeah, for example, it's gonna be a very different experience than living in Pinecrest or Key Biscayne, agree?

Last edited by JacobMAX; 10-03-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Yes many in Miami are pretty shallow, which is sad to say. This probably could be said for other cities around the world as well. Why do you think we see so many leased BMW, Audi and Mercedes on the road? Leasing (vs Owning) is cheap on these lower end luxury cars ... which gives them that status symbol in the driveway or when they pull up to a restaurant at night.
haha

Two cousins came down from NYC a few years back. We took them to south beach, and after five minutes one of them says "Why does EVERYONE down here drive a brand new car". We started laughing, and explained to her the fake it till you make it mentality over here. South Florida can be a strange place.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerllo View Post
I have been reading through these forums and I have noticed a bit of a dichotomy. Everyone complains that the salaries are really low here, but the cost of real estate seems incredibly high. I have always heard that you should not spend more than 25% of your gross monthly income on your mortgage/rent. But based on what I have seen in Miami, I just don't know how that can be. Is that percentage higher for Miami? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Effective salaries are not low.

Rent or mortgages are high dependent on where you live and when you purchased.

How much to budget depends on what your needs are and existing liabilities. Current condition as well as in whether you have a spouce, roommate, housemate,etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami