Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,310 times

Advertisements

The term "3rd world" keeps coming up in this forum. It's clear that nobody knows what this term means. Here is a list of Third World countries (source):

Quote:
1 Timor-Leste
2 Malawi
3 Somalia
4 Democratic
5 Tanzania
6 Yemen
7 Burundi
8 Afghanistan
9 Guinea-Bissau
10 Ethiopia
11 Niger Western Africa
12 Liberia
13 Sierra Leone
14 Madagascar
15 Zambia
16 Eritrea
Miami is not a Third World country and it does not resemble one in any way, not even as a joke. Miami resembles Brazil or Mexico more and more. That's a bad thing. It's depressing. But it's a whole different ball of wax, folks.

Miami DOES NOT and NEVER WILL resemble Afghanistan or Ethiopia.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:32 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The term "3rd world" keeps coming up in this forum. It's clear that nobody knows what this term means. Here is a list of Third World countries (source):

Miami is not a Third World country and it does not resemble one in any way, not even as a joke. Miami resembles Brazil or Mexico more and more. That's a bad thing. It's depressing. But it's a whole different ball of wax, folks.

Yea Miami resembles the nicest and richest parts of Brazil and Mexico. Miami is part of the United States and there are not many more countries with a high standard of living. Miami is not Mexico or Brazil either.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:27 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,653 times
Quote:

Quote:
1 Timor-Leste
2 Malawi
3 Somalia
4 Democratic
5 Tanzania
6 Yemen
7 Burundi
8 Afghanistan
9 Guinea-Bissau
10 Ethiopia
11 Niger Western Africa
12 Liberia
13 Sierra Leone
14 Madagascar
15 Zambia
16 Eritrea

Amen to THAT! That's a good list! It certainly puts things into perspective!

Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,994 times
Liberia. Yikes.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:15 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,933 times
Quote:

Agree and in fact Miami is a city and not a country so it is funny people call Miami a third world country ... I travel into Latin America frequently on business and have been to several Asian countries as well including Thailand and China .... many of these countries are labelled "Third World" including Brazil and Mexico ... the politically correct way is to term them emerging or developing countries ... but given some of the poverty I have seen in both those countries they are in fact still "Third World " .. Miami for all of its "Third World " elements and as much as many on here dislike the place is far from being a "Third World " city or country .. people who claim it is "Third World " have obviously never been to much of Latin America or Asia .. in fact San Juan , Puerto Rico and surrounding areas is much more "Third World " than Miami .... call Miami ghetto , rude , or corrupt ... but its infractructure and weatlth in many areas as well as medical , police and social services places it well above any "Third World " country or city ... and obviously comparing it to Ethiopia or Afghanistan is assinine .

Old 08-06-2011, 06:57 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
I don't believe we see Donkeys and Jack assses hauling butt down the dirt road of die-95 illuminated by street lamps as we are heading to the Miami River to fetch a pail of water and then off to purchase matches, candles and rice from our local outdoor market to be able to see to cook over a fire. No I don't believe I have witnessed this, not even in Overtown.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,994 times
perry: i have seen people more than once carrying groceries on their head and i did see a atv trailer converted to a donkey cart with plywood and plastic siding. the women were carrying a grocery bag in each hand and one on their head. one i saw it on the side of the road, once was in one of those pedestrian walkways above the palmetto. each time i lol'd. the women were black so i'm thinking maybe recent haitian immigrants? just a guess.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Third world is a Cold War term. Its use has changed in popular culture, now it is associated with poverty or being in a development status relative to the developed world.

As far as Miami being third world, of course not, but it does have many people from the third world that bring the same culture and attitudes that made their country third world in the first place. I see more often the expression of "third world mentality" than just third world.

If it was not for the productive class in this country and the generous entitlement programs many people use, you would see an exact replica of third world conditions in parts of Miami and the US in general.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Third World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,653 times
When I think of "Third World" I think of something like Falluja, where water with raw sewage flows down the middle of a dirt street because the city can't afford a sewer system. I think of a place racked with Cholera. So no, Miami is in no way "Third World". It is however like it's own separate country, to the point that it could actually justifiably secede from the union. It's certainly the most exotic place you can be without a passport, besides PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami