Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:25 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
totally disagree. I went thru Wilma in 2005 and northridge in 1994 and hurricanes are way scarier simply from the fact that the anticipation lasts forever and then the event takes many hours to finish. also with quakes the damage is pretty much confined to a small area called the epicenter compared to the massive swath of damage of a hurricane's path thru the state. I assure you material damage and financial losses are also tremendously higher with hurricanes. quakes it shakes really bad for a few seconds usually when pure half awake and maybe some knickknacks or dishes fall over big effing deal.
I have been through both as well and had expat family living in Mexico City back in 1985 when a massive earthquake hit ... over 10,000.00 people died yes both are horrible but an earthqueake can come at any time and unannounced while a Hurricane gives you time to prepare and flee if you have to do so .... I would hate to be in traffic on the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge when a eight on the Richter scale hits and it is going to do so one day ... also with earthquakes for your added pleasure you can also have a silly little event called a Tsunami ... just ask the Japanese .. again both are terrible and I do not wish either on anyone ... but If I had to chose between a Cat 4 or a 7.8 on the Richter Scale ... remember the first at least gives you days to take measures , flee or kiss your ass good bye .

Old 08-01-2011, 11:30 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,186 times
lets compare

northridge quake: northridge quake - Google Search

hurricane andrew: hurricane andrew - Google Search

Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 AM

I'll just leave this here:

Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM

149 posts, read 260,063 times
i actually like soflo. I speak no spanish, yet I have managed to have two very good jobs. First job was a culture shock - a mere few spoke english - but. got laid off. And I worked in the cruise line industry, but I made many friends - language barrier be darned.

Heck I used to live in Dadeland and now due to $$ I live in Little Havana. I think if a person can easily adapt to situations, they can live just about anywhere and sustain most situations that present themselves to them.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
most peoples experiences of earthquakes are standing in a doorway while everything shakes and then watching the damage on tv wherever the epicenter was.
in hurricane andrew people were hiding behind their couches trying to save themselves when their houses came apart. i know a woman who went through it as a teen and ran room to room in their house as the roof ripped off. they got down to the very last room and her dad took out an axe and was preparing to cut through the floor to go into the crawl space. that is INSANE! thats like movie stuff there.
there were people who were killed when the tornados embedded in andrew threw 2x4's through their walls and impaled them.
we can get into a pissing contest here .... but I travel quite a bit and have been through minor earthquakes in Lima , Peru and Santiago , Chile and yes it may be short ... but it is enough trime to scare the wits out of you .... prefer to deal with hurricanes .

Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
we can get into a pissing contest here .... but I travel quite a bit and have been through minor earthquakes in Lima , Peru and Santiago , Chile and yes it may be short ... but it is enough trime to scare the wits out of you .... prefer to deal with hurricanes .
in third world countries i agree with you but we're comparing california to florida here. i guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
lets compare

northridge quake: northridge quake - Google Search

hurricane andrew: hurricane andrew - Google Search
Cixcell this is a post about a guy moving from Miami to Houston .. sorry to have taken this post off its track ... but you will never convince me amigo .

Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,057 times
Quote:
you are probably more likely to be killed in a terrorist attack than a quake. chances of death are vastly vastly less than getting struck by lightning here.
That is an interesting example. In fact I will go further. I would compare a terrorist attack to an earthquake; you do not know when either one is going to hit.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,321,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I rather deal with a hurricane than an earthquake. You can at least prepare for a hurricane and hunker down or leave town. Hurricanes are definitely dangerous and can be scary, especially when it can last for several hours. However, one can prepare for them. An earthquake can hit anytime with no warnings. Depending where you are when an earthquake hits, you may have little chance of surviving it.

I rather have time to prepare for a hurricane before it hits than be surprised by an earthquake.
Bingo.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,505 times
I went through Andrew and I'd still rather be in a hurricane than an earthquake. Time to prepare is a big +++ for me. I don't like surprises. And don't major earthquakes have months of aftermath too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami