Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:11 PM

13 posts, read 47,155 times

Advertisements

I posted about a month ago that my husband may take a job in North Miami Beach, well he took it and starts after labor day. I want to thanks everyone for their input on places to live. Right now we are concentrating on Miami Lakes - EAST of the Palmetto. I wanted to get some opinions of how people feel about that area, likes and dislikes, etc.. I am moving from NJ and have some family in that area but wanted and unbiased view.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 06:41 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,276 times
I live in Miami Lakes. During my more than 20 years residing in South Florida, I have lived in all areas of the county. I have been a resident of Miami Lakes for more than a year now. I currently rent in one of the many apartments that the Graham family owns in the town.
In my honest opinion, I really enjoy living in this area. There are many parks, lakes and trees. Most of the streets are not straight and are under a canopy of trees, something that is very rare in Miami. Housing can be very expensive, but the area is pretty safe. It is so nice, that it feels like it does not belong in Dade County.
Most residents are hispanics, like the rest of Miami, but there is also a big white American percentage living in Miami Lakes. The town's government really cares for the public areas and keeps it very clean. The Palmetto Expressway (one of Miami's North to South and East to West highways) is located right next to Miami Lakes.
The Main Street area is very cute, with small boutique like stores and restaurants. There is also a movie theather, the Don Shula Steakhouse, Golf Course and Hotel.
If you want more information, you can visit the town's website at Town of Miami Lakes.
Good luck!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:13 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,038 times
miami lakes is one of the nicer places in dade, good choice i'd say.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 AM

127 posts, read 431,695 times
we stayed in miami lakes as a temp rental till we found a house. its ok. its a small town with lots of people in it, the apartments are overrated and priced on the high side. we are living in pembroke pines west of 75 and love it. its like a vacation every day, renting a full 3br home with pool for 2000. gated community as most are and lots of things to do here. nice and quiet too. there are rental homes up here for 1600 without pool but all communities have lots of things pools parks tennis ect.

miami lakes is crowded but there is plenty to do. the drive from miramar or pembroke pines would be a easy run to north miami. i drive to haileah every day and it is a good ride using the 75 to the gratigny parkeway.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:30 PM

136 posts, read 481,419 times
esantana,

miami lakes is an excellent place to live, especially for people with children. the town's elected officials really have done - and continue to do - anything possible to improve the schools, which are already excellent at the elementary level. it's quiet and green and pretty self-contained. just make sure you're actually in the TOWN of miami lakes. a lot of realtors and sellers in the surrounding area try to pass off those areas as miami lakes, but they are NOT, and the difference is striking. good idea to live EAST of the palmetto also, by the way. i used to live west of the palmetto, and rush hour traffic to get from one side to the other is just disastrous.

welcome to miami (lakes)!

Old 09-10-2007, 11:36 AM

58 posts, read 228,748 times
I have lived in Miami Lakes for five years and love it. I live near Main Street and could not be happier. I can go to the beach if I must; I can take a walk; and most importantly to me, I can see all types of birds from my window. If Miami Lakes is good enough for a Senator of Florida and his brother, it should be good enough for anyone.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
I love Miami Lakes.....I went to middle school way back in th 90's there but American high was a ghetto school compared to non Dade county schools even though it was close to Miami Lakes, but overall Miami Lakes has its own vibe and is small enough to feel like its own little community but has enough to do and is close to all the roads that lead to different areas of South Florida......There used to be an amazing Italian resturant in that plaza by the Palmetto Expressway near that Burger king...It was a mom and pop kind of place...the people were from Sicily......dont know if that is still there or not?

Well good luck with your move

Old 09-11-2007, 03:36 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was called Roman's pizza. In the same shopping center as the Shell gas station and the bank. I worked there for a few years. It's been closed for many years now. I think that there's a bakery now.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was called Roman's pizza. In the same shopping center as the Shell gas station and the bank. I worked there for a few years. It's been closed for many years now. I think that there's a bakery now.
Thanks for the response....i don't think it is the same one ....the one i was talking about was north of the Palmetto across the street from Dade Christian in that plaza where Burger King and Canton chinesse resturant is...but thanx for the info on the other place though

Old 09-11-2007, 06:44 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
If it is still there, check out Tony's Place in PSN at 17721 N.W. 78 ave, where the old shopping center is. I used to live a block away. It's a great family restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami