Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
If I EVER move from here I'm taking everything with me. I'd rather throw it all in a pile and burn it before I get haggled out of it by these people. (I'm quite serious)
Yeah - right in the middle of Biscayne Blvd. Now THAT would be cool!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:05 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,383 times
Quote:
If I EVER move from here I'm taking everything with me. I'd rather throw it all in a pile and burn it before I get haggled out of it by these people. (I'm quite serious)
Haven't found anybody apologize for being overpriced. When I sell something, I won't either.

I've got an idea, burn it on that Sandbar where the Piano showed up recently.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:42 AM

One other thing I failed to mention. Rents are sometimes negotiable and landlords may take best offer if more than one.

We missed out on one rental in Aventura. We offered full price rent and accepted their terms. An offer came in before ours was "accepted" and we didn't get the place because they offered more money than the original asking price. That in itself is not unusual.

What's "so Miami" about this is we asked the Realtor not to show the property anymore and it was her exclusive listing. She said she would not until we got approved or declined. She didn't do what we asked her to do and she agreed to, and we lost the place.

This was before our rental debacle in Surfside if you've been following my story. We tried to rent two places and couldn't get either of them done and that's why I live where I do now. Time was up, we absolutely had to be here on a certain date, so our eagle landed in Little Godforsaken Haiti.

As a former Remax Realtor in Texas I can say without question; Most Realtors here are pieces of sh*t and I have nothing but sympathy for anybody who has to use one. Like so many business people in this HOLE, you can't count on them to do what they say they will do, and when it really counts, and that can be unnerving.

Last edited by Jmlacysr; 02-24-2011 at 04:51 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times

Old 02-25-2011, 12:30 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
One other thing I failed to mention. Rents are sometimes negotiable and landlords may take best offer if more than one.

We missed out on one rental in Aventura. We offered full price rent and accepted their terms. An offer came in before ours was "accepted" and we didn't get the place because they offered more money than the original asking price. That in itself is not unusual.

What's "so Miami" about this is we asked the Realtor not to show the property anymore and it was her exclusive listing. She said she would not until we got approved or declined. She didn't do what we asked her to do and she agreed to, and we lost the place.

This was before our rental debacle in Surfside if you've been following my story. We tried to rent two places and couldn't get either of them done and that's why I live where I do now. Time was up, we absolutely had to be here on a certain date, so our eagle landed in Little Godforsaken Haiti.

As a former Remax Realtor in Texas I can say without question; Most Realtors here are pieces of sh*t and I have nothing but sympathy for anybody who has to use one. Like so many business people in this HOLE, you can't count on them to do what they say they will do, and when it really counts, and that can be unnerving.

That's not a Miami thing. That's a Realtor thing! My dad was a Realtor in Boulder and he quit the biz because of all the sleazy stuff that was going on out there!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
That's not a Miami thing. That's a Realtor thing! My dad was a Realtor in Boulder and he quit the biz because of all the sleazy stuff that was going on out there!
Encountering the sleazy and unprofessional is part doing business in Miami. In Dallas, it's more the exception, here it's more the norm. I called at least 20 Realtors trying to relocate and never found one that was worth a flip. I rented this place not because we liked it but because it's the only deal I could actually get done.

On the upside, don't be sleazy and be a professional and you'll be rewarded. My son and I are doing very well in business here and much better than we originally projected. People are buying our products in record numbers because we are not the typical Miami turd in the punch bowl. We brought the Dallas business/work ethic to Miami and so far, it's been a cash cow.

Hey! I like Boulder, been through there a few times. Plaid shirt college type town if I recall. Have a good friend who just relo'ed from Dallas to Denver and seems to like it. I think of Boulder Co as Berkley California light. A young progressive type city was my impression but I never lived there.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:15 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
jmlacysr: just be careful. lots of parasites here who will want to scam you/take advantage of you/ruin it for you somehow. take a look at whats happening with the food trucks now.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 AM

I missed the Food truck thing. What happened? I did go last week, even shot for the Adrienne as the official photog but didn't see anything going on unusual while I was there. Just people eating and these ladies dancing.

I'm going to start a business experiment. This is going to be interesting no matter what happens. If I'm right it will be great, wrong and it will be the same so I have nothing to loose. I'm doing this in FTL first as a test market, then bring it to Miami if it works. It worked great in the Keys, but we'll see what happens on the mainland.
Attached Thumbnails
$$$$$$$$$$$$-1s.jpg  

Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
i guess they suspended it due to lack of the 'correct' permits. city is trying to get a cut.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
city is trying to get a cut.
Why doesn't that surprise me.

It wasn't a huge event anyway about 200 people there at it's peak. I don't know if it was the 17 trucks they claimed but my guess, was less. They probably had room for 17.

Like all things in Miami nobody does anything without an angle to benefit themselves and that was the case on Food Truck Friday. The lure was the food but the reason for having it struck me as to promote Flamenco. Nothing wrong with being entrepreneurial just sayin.

My guess would be the arts center charged the trucks and paid for the advertising so it was break even for Arts. The arts center got free publicity and the vendors sold food to recover the cost of rental space.

City got no cut because it was on private property and now they claim imminent domain. Cities are good about finding rules that behoove them and you have to think some city employees job is on the chopping block because he didn't get the cities cut.

It wasn't a huge deal anyway, so I'm not sure why all the fuss. Mountain out of a mole hill. whatever.

Attached Thumbnails
$$$$$$$$$$$$-2s.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami