Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 PM

242 posts, read 315,546 times

Advertisements

For those who say drivers are no worse in Miami than anywhere else, I would like you to see this: a comparison of # of accidents in my home town of Boston vs. # of accidents in Dade/Broward counties. Please note that these screenshots are from traffic.com, taken at exactly the same time, during rush hour in both cities. Neither metro area suffered any kind of severe weather. Just look at the sheer # of accidents in the Miami metro vs. Boston (a city that is also notorious for having aggressive drivers):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 08:10 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Hey, don't forget about the highway shootings from disgruntled drivers! Do they have a website to compare for that? I bet we lead there too

Old 07-05-2010, 11:36 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
America's Deadliest Roads, Florida I-95 is #1 and I-4 #3.

America's Deadliest Roads - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 AM

16 posts, read 37,646 times
I commuted from South Beach to Ft Lauderdale for about 5 months. I noticed on average 4-5 accidents during each commute.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
The problem on I-95 in Southern Florida is the lack of good traffic signs. They leave you having to make a major lane change in heavy traffic because of restricted lanes. I don't care about the lanes being restricted, just let us know back far enough to get into another lane. We were only a few yards from needing to have a special pass to be in a lane before we were told we would be arrested or given a ticket for being in the lane. We thought up until that point, we would just have to pay a toll. There is a big difference between being required to pay a toll and getting a traffic ticket. We felt it was a speed trap type situation. PUT UP SOME DESCRIPTIVE ROAD SIGNS!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 PM

140 posts, read 508,435 times
Traffic.com is showing an accident in the middle of Boston Harbor -- that makes it immediately suspect in my book. The differences between the two maps could be due many things: better reporting in FL, different standards for reporting, etc. I can't draw any conclusions at all from the Traffic.com map comparison.

My personal experience with driving in Boston was worse than Miami (but that was before the Big Dig). Boston drivers would make the shoulders additional lanes even when they were too narrow, shout profanities at you, nudge your bumper in stop-and-go traffic, and generally leave you very stressed etc. Miami drivers tend to avoid turn signals, run red lights, and are also pretty aggressive, but less vocal than Boston drivers. Miami cabbies are relatively tame compared to Boston cabbies.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:09 PM

242 posts, read 315,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelquiet View Post
Traffic.com is showing an accident in the middle of Boston Harbor -- that makes it immediately suspect in my book. The differences between the two maps could be due many things: better reporting in FL, different standards for reporting, etc. I can't draw any conclusions at all from the Traffic.com map comparison.

My personal experience with driving in Boston was worse than Miami (but that was before the Big Dig). Boston drivers would make the shoulders additional lanes even when they were too narrow, shout profanities at you, nudge your bumper in stop-and-go traffic, and generally leave you very stressed etc. Miami drivers tend to avoid turn signals, run red lights, and are also pretty aggressive, but less vocal than Boston drivers. Miami cabbies are relatively tame compared to Boston cabbies.
LOL excuses. The accident you're talking about is not an accident: it's a weather warning. I have driven in Boston too. It wasn't fun, but it's nowhere near as dangerous as Miami. People there (generally) know how to drive in all kinds of weather conditions and on much narrower roads. The cops there don't play either. You see a lot more pedestrians an cyclists out and about in Boston's metro area.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
I was just in Boston in May for daughters graduation, had no problem at all driving there and it was during the weekday and that's with her living right in the thick of it on Westland Ave, near Mass Ave and Newberry area. Now, NYC, that was a whole different story! I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

Driving home on the 874 today was ridiculous, Boston seemed like a piece of cake compared to the Crawlmetto and Don Shula!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM

140 posts, read 508,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
You see a lot more pedestrians an cyclists out and about in Boston's metro area.
This is true. Miami is a very dangerous place for both pedestrians and cyclists. I think that's partly because there aren't very many of either. Miami drivers probably think: "You people need to stop crossing the road while we're driving".

Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Saw a guy reading an eReader while driving on the Palmetto last night. How he didn't cause an accident I do not know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami