Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,600,295 times

Advertisements

This is not a question concerning tourist safety to Mexico. What I am trying to figure out is which parts of Mexico are more affected by the war on the Cartels than others. When I was in Mexico in 2003, before Calderon's War, the cartels operated primarily in the borderlands (at least this is what I was told). The violence was disproportonally in the border areas with the US for obvious reasons. Yes, there were also security concerns in Mexico City, but much of that was general street crime and not necessarily the Cartels. Where I was in the Yucatan (except for Cancun City) and Chiapas, it was relatively safe. Even Chiapas was safe enough if you stayed on the tourist trail and traveled in the daylight hours when you ventured in the eastern countryside.

Now, if you read the US newspapers about the conflict, most seems to focus on Ciudad Juarez and the surrounding area. Though sometimes other border cities are mentioned and sometimes Cartel violence in Central Mexico (like Cuernavaca). Therefore, is it true that the worst area for Cartel violence in near the US border, especially Ciudad Juarez? Have the cartels expanded their violence in central Mexico or were they already there? Also, is southern Mexico still relatively unaffected? Where exactly is the conflict taking place and what has changed since 2003 geographically speaking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,245,474 times
I'm hearing lots of reports out of Tampico on the gulf coast, and out of Acapulco and Mazatlan on the Pacific coast.

Earlier this year there were a number of reports in Durango and Morelia. They seem to have quieted down. I am seeing scattered reports all over central and northern Mexico (Ciudad Mante, Ciudad Valles, Chihuahua, Lazos Cardenas, etc.) which are too infrequent to worry much about but enough to show the cartel presence is pervasive.

Most incidents remain in the border area from Juarez to Matamoros, with that border zone extending south a few hundred miles (Monterrey, Valle Hermoso).

The cartels were always in the central zone - La Familia is based in Michoacan - but the violence was kept out of their own house until the army and feds began attacking them at home.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 PM

469 posts, read 1,257,568 times
The May 2010 issue of National Geographic has a full story on this topic, with map.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,887 times
I'll have to pick that up.

Generally, the south (outside of Guerrero) is considered fairly safe, although there have been the odds reports here and there.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:01 PM

972 posts, read 3,927,313 times
+ insecure:

By States:

Baja California Norte, Chihuahua, Nuevo Leon, Tamaulipas, Sinaloa, Michoacan, Guerrero, Morelos and Tabasco.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM

469 posts, read 1,257,568 times
It's not TODAY'S known geographical distribution of violence that concerns me, but rather the FUTURE growth and shifts of unchecked drug- and gang-related crime. As I continue to evaluate Mexico for myself as a retirement option, I have to wonder if today's 'safe' communities will still be assured of the same relative tranquility 5, 10, or 20 years from now. An investment in foreign real estate could be turned upside-down, with no quick exit strategy possible, if the geographical distribution of violence ends up taking over these holdout communities that are today's oases of peaceful existence. The rapid and well-calculated expansion by drug cartels throughout Mexico gives little reason to think that it will be controlled any time soon, and that there is simply more of Mexico to conquer.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:51 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,897,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
It's not TODAY'S known geographical distribution of violence that concerns me, but rather the FUTURE growth and shifts of unchecked drug- and gang-related crime. As I continue to evaluate Mexico for myself as a retirement option, I have to wonder if today's 'safe' communities will still be assured of the same relative tranquility 5, 10, or 20 years from now. An investment in foreign real estate could be turned upside-down, with no quick exit strategy possible, if the geographical distribution of violence ends up taking over these holdout communities that are today's oases of peaceful existence. The rapid and well-calculated expansion by drug cartels throughout Mexico gives little reason to think that it will be controlled any time soon, and that there is simply more of Mexico to conquer.
They have no reason to head south. I think I'd start with that premise.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 PM

758 posts, read 2,242,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
They have no reason to head south. I think I'd start with that premise.
In case you didn't know, the cartels are a big problem in Guatemala.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico