Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 10:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 488,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeana View Post
Morena is exceedingly popular with the poor of Mexico, and the poor are 90% of MX.

AMLO raised min. daily wage 20% every year he has been in office. That's a 100% rise.

AMLO on cartels: Hugs not guns. All candidates pledge 'safety' for residents, but none will or really can, take on the cartels. The cartels call the shots and everyone living in MX knows that. The cartels give out free Xmas toys to kids. Their basic message to citizens and to government officials, is don't make waves and you will be safe.

The cartels are so ingrained and the government so corrupt, it's hard to imagine anyone getting it straightened out. It's simply gone on way too long to rein in now.
In other words Mexico is not a trustworthy country to be doing business with. Mexico is destroying the lives of people in their own country and in other countries. Why do we tolerate this narco/terrorist state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 08:29 AM

104 posts, read 129,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
In other words Mexico is not a trustworthy country to be doing business with. Mexico is destroying the lives of people in their own country and in other countries. Why do we tolerate this narco/terrorist state?
Mexico's economy is roaring thanks to 'near-shoring' of many US business interests.

While you can't generally trust the police, you learn work-arounds. While the cartels control and fight over their drug routes, if you stay out of their way, you'll be fine. However if there is a major turf war near you, s*** happens and life gets a bit tense and sometimes downright ugly, but usually it doesn't last long, then back to normal.

It's like living in two parallel universes.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:43 AM

1,219 posts, read 488,905 times
Quote:
Mexico's economy is roaring thanks to 'near-shoring' of many US business interests.

While you can't generally trust the police, you learn work-arounds. While the cartels control and fight over their drug routes, if you stay out of their way, you'll be fine. However if there is a major turf war near you, s*** happens and life gets a bit tense and sometimes downright ugly, but usually it doesn't last long, then back to normal.

It's like living in two parallel universes.
That sounds terrible. The Mexican encomy is soaring but how far will it go with so much corruption? Mexico should be first world by now.

Mexico is the only country I have heard of that police stop people for bribes and arrest people and confiscate cars for refusing to give a bribe. I know people that have stopped driving through Mexico because of this, due to fake check points and the risk of kidnapping on many highways, even by police.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:58 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
The cartels are so ingrained and the government so corrupt, it's hard to imagine anyone getting it straightened out. It's simply gone on way too long to rein in now.

I can't accept that, but maybe the people of Mexico already have. I thought this was a good, if somewhat dated article, until it went off the rails onto a weird Trump tangent.

https://clacs.berkeley.edu/mexico-wh...and-how-fix-it

Old 04-04-2024, 10:14 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
That sounds terrible. The Mexican encomy is soaring but how far will it go with so much corruption? Mexico should be first world by now.

Mexico is the only country I have heard of that police stop people for bribes and arrest people and confiscate cars for refusing to give a bribe. I know people that have stopped driving through Mexico because of this, due to fake check points and the risk of kidnapping on many highways, even by police.
Well in the US they stop cars hoping to find money or drugs so they can seize everything you've got.

And sadly much of the world has police that stop people and ask for bribes. Plenty of Asian and African countries have the same thing. And surely don't try to cross a land border, the bribes you'll face will shock you. Panamanian border guard pushed real hard for a $50 bribe from me saying I couldn't bring in 2 computers from Costa Rica. I had a laptop and a second screen, not even a computer. And there is no rule against 2 computers either. He just tried to take a shot at it. I pretended not to speak Spanish and he wrote down $50 on a piece of paper! I just ignored him and started talking to the other guard about something else in my bag and walked through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico