Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:10 PM

964 posts, read 994,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Considering visiting Merida in late April...did you move there yet? Any updates?

Is the weather as deadly-hot as I keep hearing...??
What I know about Merida is that it's in Hurricane Alley (I think that's our winter season, more or less), a very significant percentage of the population is indigenous mayan, which means people are more soft-spoken and respectful of others, of tourists, women, foreigners in general, and throughout the Yucatan, Mayan is still spoken, and some menus are bi-lingual in Spanish and Mayan. Belize has a high percentage of people of African descent, and from the coast of Guatemala south through Honduras, there are Afro-Carib-descended people called the Garifunas, who are bilingual in Spanish and English. Some of those have higher education, so you see some Garifunas working in offices in the cities. I don't think there are any in the Yucatan, but I could be wrong. Women from the States say they like Merida best, because they don't get harassed there, like they do elsewhere in Mexico.

It seems like a nice place to retire, except for the hurricane risk. Temp-wise, it's cool enough from October through February, then starts heating up. Look up Cuba. That's what Merida is like half the year. I couldn't take it, but as a retirement place, it could work if you had friends to stay with in the States during the hottest part of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 03:59 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,233,334 times
Merida is hot most of the year, but the summers are very hot.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:15 PM

964 posts, read 994,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
Merida is hot most of the year, but the summers are very hot.
Really? Hot? Global warming must have had an effect since I was there. My experience was that it was in the 70's in fall/winter. It's certainly possible, though. Temps everywhere have gone up.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 AM

143 posts, read 192,074 times
im in Mexico City and have seen 2 Black guys..
not sure if they were African Americans but they were obviously Black..

the one guy had a Mexican chic rubbing his back as they were walking..

im Asian American and have yet to encounter any malicious intent or rudeness.
i've been hit on by approximately 10 - 15 Mexican chics already..
so racism is not that bad here..

If you respect the people, country..
you'll be fine.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:56 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Don't flatter yourself on being HIT upon.......NO WAY.

The women are just being nice and will smile at you......that happened to me a lot when living there.

(They can spot a foreigner from a long distance due to appearance and clothes etc.)

I was in my 50's then and did have a young girlfriend during that time so GET OVER YOURSELF.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:58 PM

143 posts, read 192,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Don't flatter yourself on being HIT upon.......NO WAY.

The women are just being nice and will smile at you......that happened to me a lot when living there.

(They can spot a foreigner from a long distance due to appearance and clothes etc.)

I was in my 50's then and did have a young girlfriend during that time so GET OVER YOURSELF.
there's always a hata in every forum.
i never mentioned the flirting because i didn't want to brag..
but since you like drinking the haterade..

1. in Oxxo.. i was in line while checking out the hot chic in front of me. admiring her ass. she was playing w/her hair while looking back at me and smiling. she paid, then on her way out, locked eyes w/me for about 10 seconds... holding up the line. the cashier had to clear her throat.

2. same place.. i was wearing a grey hoody w/grey cargo pants. there was this fine ass chic wearing a grey hoody and grey spandex. i get in line and she turns around, winks, smiles, then adjusts her spandex to show me her ass.

3. i was walking down 10 steps when there was this hot ass chic sitting at the bottom, last step. we locked eyes from the top all the way down to the bottom. once i got to the bottom, we continued to lock eyes so i walked closer to her and stood about 1 foot from her while continuing to lock eyes. we were both in a trance. it felt like we left our bodies and had sex in the spiritual realm. it was unreal.

as i said.. Mexican chics in Mexico are cool.. not like Mexican chics in US.
ive been here approximately 4 months and everyone has been nice.
of course i've run into envy.. but that's not due to racism..just human nature.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:45 PM

Haterade?....not really. Lived in Mexico City for 3 yrs with a Mexican wife and now 20 yrs here in Baja.

Your all jazzed up with only 4 months experience there like your the real cool dude from the US...lets face it, your a novelty and like looking at all the rear ass which is a bit RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL. (shows your age)

Mexican girls like to dressup and wear heels be it to office work or going out.

There are Chinese Restaurants in MC. I would eat at a KFC across the street from one every week.

I had a friend whose sister was married to a Black man from Panama....real nice guy.

I even met a young girl 18 whose father was Korean and mother Mexican ( she was very pretty)

Anyway enjoy your fantasy while there....won't last long.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimasUSA View Post
Rosa, your heart is in the right place, but I have to tell you that your comment "On the contrary, Oaxacans LOVE basketball and many wanted to talk to him and ask him lots of questions about the sport and AA culture" might raise a few eyebrows in America. Why, might I ask, would these Oaxaca people ask him about basketball? You mention arts, museums, bars, nothing to indicate that the Oaxacans saw him playing bb and were impressed. You can't mean that they assumed he was great at bb because he was black, right?
I am not African American but I have seen the basketball "theory" a few times. I think the last time was a feel good piece before of during the Beijing Olympics about how big many American basketball players were in China.

I have seen foreign "cultural acceptance" pieces related to Rap and R&B as well. I am not sure if the kids who follow these cultural movements are any more or less culturally accepting but I would hope so.

Quote:
Haterade?....not really. Lived in Mexico City for 3 yrs with a Mexican wife and now 20 yrs here in Baja.

Your all jazzed up with only 4 months experience there like your the real cool dude from the US...lets face it, your a novelty and like looking at all the rear ass which is a bit RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL. (shows your age)

Mexican girls like to dressup and wear heels be it to office work or going out.

There are Chinese Restaurants in MC. I would eat at a KFC across the street from one every week.

I had a friend whose sister was married to a Black man from Panama....real nice guy.

I even met a young girl 18 whose father was Korean and mother Mexican ( she was very pretty)

Anyway enjoy your fantasy while there....won't last long.
I am not sure what you are getting at or why you seem to be coming of so angry.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Angry? NO...Quote "hot chic in front of me, admiring her ass". I call that being RUDE and DISRESPECTFULL and a sign of a Ugly American. A Mexican girl would take an offense to the remark....I am coming to their defense.

Saw my step daughters leave for the office every day dressed nicely and wearing heels and not a hoodie.

There is a huge difference between a Mexican/American Latina and a Mexican born girl/woman.

Spend the same time down here as I have and you will see things differently.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:39 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Angry? NO...Quote "hot chic in front of me, admiring her ass". I call that being RUDE and DISRESPECTFULL and a sign of a Ugly American. A Mexican girl would take an offense to the remark....I am coming to their defense.

Saw my step daughters leave for the office every day dressed nicely and wearing heels and not a hoodie.

There is a huge difference between a Mexican/American Latina and a Mexican born girl/woman.

Spend the same time down here as I have and you will see things differently.
You mean I will see the world differently when I am 50-60 than a 20-30 year old man would?

Ya' don't say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico