Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, considering I haven't owned a television in more than 10 years, I don't think I'll miss it much. LOL

As for buying what you want, when you want, I am thinking more avocados, bananas and such rather than Kim Kardashian mascara. But to each his own. As long as I can get decent drinking water and be able to grow a garden (I save seeds, so that's not a problem either).

I am looking for a culture that values family, friendship and hard work, over what size big-screen television you have or what NFL team you are rooting for. I am looking for REAL PEOPLE not plastic people, I've had enough of them.
I think you should consider looking inland instead of the beach area. You already mentioned Lake Chapala area, but you should check out Oaxaca City. It is a cultural and artistic center of Mexico. There is an expat community, but it is mostly European, with a smaller scattering of Americans.

It's very safe and very unique. While Yucatan has a larger percentage of Pre-Columbian people, Oaxaca has the largest mix (almost 15 languages). If you wonder out of the city you will meet many people who don't speak Spanish. As such it has a wonderful culture. The Beach is very difficult to get to, even though it isn't far. The easiest way to get there is to fly to Mexico City, and then take a short flight to Oaxaca City (or a 5.5 hour bus ride).

It is difficult to own there. While it is not covered by the 100km from the border, and 50km from the coast rule that is built into the constitution, much of the land is a grant from the King of Spain which dates back to colonial times. Most of it cannot be owned except by the grantees (mostly Pre-columbian people).

But you should really think long and hard about owning a second home. Not because it is Mexico, but it is difficult to own a home that you only spend a few weeks (months?) in a year. Problems of owning a home in another country compound the problem.

Expats are usually happy to rent an apartment from Maria. They aren't fancy, but she has an extensive rooftop garden.
Villa Maria in Oaxaca.

San Felipe is the countryside to the north of the city where the more luxurious homes are available. If you have some money you can rent a nicer home with a cook/housekeeper.

While most people head towards the beach, it isn't really the best option all the time. Oaxaca central valleys are warm and a swimming pool is just as nice. The cuisine is wonderful, the expats tend to be highly educated artists, the music is mesmerizing, and you have a double whammy for ancient culture. The town itself is a prized colonial era city, and just outside of town is the oldest metropolis in the Americas, Monte Albán. This town predates the Mayans and the Pyramids of the Sun and Moon at Teotihuacan. No one knows it's real name, but one of the conquistadors thought it looked like the Alban Hills (Italian Colli Albani) in Italy (about 25 miles south of Rome) which he had seen, so the name stuck.

Now this is real Mexico, so the people are not wealthy. But the rate of violent crime is very low, but as I pointed out to my neighbor you still shouldn't walk in the city paths with an expensive watch and a pocket full of cash.

Part of old fashioned Mexico is an extensive hatred between the common people and the government. The internet is full of photos of riots in Oaxaca city. But I spent 6 months there, and I can tell you the anger is not aimed at foreigners. I talked to several Americans who lived there that summer, and they never had any problems (although they were not stupid enough to stroll through a riot). There is some art work aimed at "blondes" (a derisive word for white people), but it does not distinguish between the Mexican elite and that from any other country. In person the people are very polite. As there is almost no drug smuggling culture there, it is spared that level of violence. There is a huge hippie culture, as it is ground zero for hallucinogenic mushrooms, which introduced those kind of drugs to the Western world in the 1950's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,042 times
I also read on a website that they are changing the laws for foreigners to own property in Mexico, which i think would be great.

Mexico is reforming Fideicomiso Laws. | Playa Houses

Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Geerard View Post
I also read on a website that they are changing the laws for foreigners to own property in Mexico, which i think would be great.

Mexico is reforming Fideicomiso Laws. | Playa Houses
The change is to own property near a beach or near the border, something like within 50 miles, without going through a bank holding a deed. You can own property inland without any problem.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM

402 posts, read 686,888 times
PM message me, we have a house for sale in a very nice place(San Carlos)_ ,not a giant price and we lived there for a long time.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 PM

30 posts, read 137,378 times
20yrsinBranson, you sound like someone I'd like to have as a neighbor! In case you're not aware, there are new rules for residency, both temporary and permanent. They will probably keep me and my SO from doing anything more than short visits. How does your cousin like living at Lake Chapala? Qualifying for Visas to Mexico – Part 1 : Chapala Club

Old 02-12-2014, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,744 times
have a look at something like right move overseas, they have a vast array of properties. this website might be able to help you with the finance side of things [url=http://overseas-mortgage.co.uk/mortgage.html]Overseas Mortgage - Mortgage[/url]
hope this helps

Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
BTW, the fideicomiso law stands as before. It failed to get support in the legislative branch.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
BTW, the fideicomiso law stands as before. It failed to get support in the legislative branch.
No shock there, I was surprised the discussion went as far as it did. Those easy fees earned by the banks and lawyers create too much incentive to change the law.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 25,096 times
So what is the actual legal structure of Americans owning in Mexico near the coast? What about a wealthy Mexican citizen?

One is in trust or both are in trust or????

How are trusts structured? Is there a power of attorney? Are there trustees, successors? Can the Mexican govt (any level) take it on a whim? What are other risks one should consider besides burglary and home-value fluctuations. Are there things like eminent domain?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
My overriding issue with moving to anywhere in Latin America is the lack of noise controls. One time I was considering buying a 2nd home in the Tijuana area, and my RE agent, all but bragged: Down here, if you have a loud all-nite party, no one calls the police! That just about did it for me, to deter me from living down there!

Yes, everyone owning a dog or 2 there, there's yet another issue of the non-stop barking of dogs!

I've traveled all over Mexico/Central America/South America/Ecuador and my complaints, always, revolve around noise, like being awakened too early in the a.m. with Roosters crowing!

And then there's the vehicles roaming the streets with bullhorns, for advertising purposes, and loud disco's (which can be heard a half mile away), loud music on the buses, loud stereo's in cars, and those loud evangelical churches!

I had thought I had found my dream quiet village in El Salvador, one time, and little did I realize there were 4 evangelical churches in town, broadcasting their music and sermons via loudspeakers, all going on until midnite! Sheesh!

I was in a small town in Ecuador, one time, with a hotel room on the square, and someone with a loud stereo system in his car, parked near the square, turned up the music, rap music, full blast, for the entire town to hear it! And no one did anything to stop him!

And, in many cases, my 33 decibel earplugs were not up to the job!

So this is what deters me from retiring in Mexico, or anywhere in Latin America, until more noise controls come into being! How I wish and pray I wasn't so sensitive to noise!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico