Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 PM

209 posts, read 812,458 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I went here for the first time today and we left completely freaked out. It was so sketchy!! I can honestly say it's the first time I've ever felt on-alert and sort of fearful while doing grocery shopping. At one point a lady came up and asked me for money so she could buy Vienna sausages. I've never been panhandled inside of a grocery store before!! There were more than a few disheveled people walking around mumbling to themselves. Ugh... the whole experience was unpleasant. I was looking for an alternative to the extremely cramped and crowded Schnuck's, but it looks like I'll be going back there from now on. Has anyone else had a similar experience at the Piggly Wiggly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 02:49 PM

340 posts, read 1,315,339 times
That general area can be a freak show. Lots of panhandlers and homeless types, but I've never felt particularly unsafe (at least not more unsafe than lots of other parts of Midtown). It kind of feels like the Kroger at Poplar and Cleveland to me...not a great area, but not the worst. But there are some strange and potential dangerous characters in the store and in the area.

However, there is a county or state probation office right across Madison from that shopping center.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:06 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,338,224 times
I don't live in Memphis anymore but oh yeah....I was stunned the first time I went there...and would not go back. Yikes.

My husband and I refer to the Kroger in that area as the "ghetto Kroger". ONE of the things that drove me nuts about living in Memphis was the lack of decent grocery stores. I've lived in towns of 5,000 people with a better selection.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,347 times
I lived in midtown when I was in college, and the only time I ever went to that Piggly Wiggly - my friend got his car broken into and his stereo system stolen. We were only inside to do a money order which took like ten minutes. And it was the middle of the day.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 PM

209 posts, read 812,458 times
yikes! glad that didn't happen to me. yeah.... don't think i'll be going back there.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:55 PM

952 posts, read 3,707,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fittoac View Post
So my husband and I went here for the first time today and we left completely freaked out. It was so sketchy!! I can honestly say it's the first time I've ever felt on-alert and sort of fearful while doing grocery shopping. At one point a lady came up and asked me for money so she could buy Vienna sausages. I've never been panhandled inside of a grocery store before!! There were more than a few disheveled people walking around mumbling to themselves. Ugh... the whole experience was unpleasant. I was looking for an alternative to the extremely cramped and crowded Schnuck's, but it looks like I'll be going back there from now on. Has anyone else had a similar experience at the Piggly Wiggly?

I go to Kroger on Poplar ave and Highland. It is ok but I agree with all of you, Their are no nice grocery stores around here. Not if you compare to other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis