Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 10:47 AM

113 posts, read 563,752 times

Advertisements

I was thinking this morning about places I used to live and visit in Memphis that have since become victim to crime and disrepair.

My grandparents used to live in Oakhaven, right off of Tchulahoma about five minutes from the airport. They had a beautiful corner lot house that was like a playground for me, lots of pecan trees and a back porch swing. I would go over there and run freely up and down the street, then walk their dog with my grandfather. It was a three bedroom, 1.5 bathroom house that they bought sometime in the 1950s and sold in 1996 for a fairly decent price. I read the other day how it's been sold five times since 2006, the last time for only $30,000 and it was upsetting. Obviously, banks don't care about sentimental attachment, but still.

I spent the majority of my childhood (5-15) living at Riverdale apartments at Riverdale and Quince. I have MANY happy memories of riding my bike all around, swimming in the pool, sneaking through the back gate to Watergrove apartments (which were still nice then too). My parents and I had a three bedroom townhouse and were the first people to ever live in it. Now, I hear about how bad it's become, break-ins and assaults

I'm not sure there's a point to this thread other than to reminisce a bit -- where are your Memphis memories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis