Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 07:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Did they make a Miata with any real HP? I see a new one is only 181hp. Think they would have offered up at least a Turbo V6 with 320hp and 350lb ft. Car would be nice to buy if i am forced to return my Bolt if it came with more HP . 181hp won't cut it.
Big difference between a muscle car and a sports car and if you can’t drive a manual then the Miata isn’t for you. That’s half the fun of the Miata, the gearbox is prefect geared to the engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 07:16 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Since electric is what you seem to really want it seems a Mustang Mach E might meet your acceleration wants but the size and price might not be to your liking.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:48 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Why they call the Mach E a Mustang is beyond me.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:53 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Why they call the Mach E a Mustang is beyond me.
Because of the size and performance they could have resurrected an old performance related name like Torino or Thunderbird for example.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:26 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
But on the street it's different. It's easy to dismiss the OP's desires, because they can come across as looking sophomoric. But are they? There's a keen visceral pleasure in snapping off of the line quickly, even in contexts where it's rational and decent to be mindful of safety, decorum and personal space of our fellow drivers or pedestrians. The one doesn't preclude the other. I like my Miata, but nevertheless very much yearn for a machine that could snap back my neck in a 0-30 situation on the street..
Don't think anyone here is dismissing the OP's desires for a neck snapping street machine. I certainly love that experience. its just that the Miata is the wrong tool for the job. Sure you could spend tons of money to make a Miata a street light to street light machine but at some point you start hitting diminishing returns; a lot sooner than if you started out with a more appropriate vehicle.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:00 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
The OP wants a Miata, but it has no torque.
The OP doesn't want "rice" (which, the Miata likely is.)
The OP wants a vehicle so he can "race" other vehicles, light to light. (BAD IDEA, but whatever.)
The OP doesn't want something he has to feed "premium" fuel into. (Unless the oil/fuel producers start to market it for < $2.80/gallon, for a few years.)
The OP wants something domestic, but NOT a problematic A8 Corvette.
The OP wants to replace (or, have GM buy back) his Bolt.

Anyone seeing a pattern here?

Old 09-19-2021, 09:51 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Did they make a Miata with any real HP? I see a new one is only 181hp. Think they would have offered up at least a Turbo V6 with 320hp and 350lb ft. Car would be nice to buy if i am forced to return my Bolt if it came with more HP . 181hp won't cut it.
Miatas are very light, so it's disingenuous to dismiss them based solely on hp. The current Miata will put a serious whooping on your Volt. And it handles. And its fun. But, I think you already knew all of this and are trolling. Weaksauce, dude.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:52 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
The OP wants a Miata, but it has no torque.
The OP doesn't want "rice" (which, the Miata likely is.)
The OP wants a vehicle so he can "race" other vehicles, light to light. (BAD IDEA, but whatever.)
The OP doesn't want something he has to feed "premium" fuel into. (Unless the oil/fuel producers start to market it for < $2.80/gallon, for a few years.)
The OP wants something domestic, but NOT a problematic A8 Corvette.
The OP wants to replace (or, have GM buy back) his Bolt.

Anyone seeing a pattern here?
Yes. OP is a troll poser.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:00 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Default Miata vs. Audi TT

Interesting specs. Mpg is nearly the same while hp is way different.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/car...x-5-miata_2021

Old 09-19-2021, 10:10 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
... Sure you could spend tons of money to make a Miata a street light to street light machine but at some point you start hitting diminishing returns; a lot sooner than if you started out with a more appropriate vehicle.
This is probably true, and is one reason that I've left my own Miata essentially stock (save for the "mods" inherited from the previous owners, some of which are regrettable). Still, the romance is to take a small, light car, taking advantage of power to weight ratio, and to achieve prodigious improvements from incremental changes. The OP, if memory serves, is not a stranger to modified cars; his C6 Corvette evidently has been modified (details, OP???). The allure is strong! There are even forums dedicated to this: miataturbo.net and V8miata.net. Some people on those forums have achieved truly remarkable performance... but then again, sufficient talent is sufficient to make a brilliancy on any canvas.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd be genuinely befuddled: what to get, that's a proper acceleration machine, that isn't insufferably ostentatious, or otherwise hamstrung by undesirable attributes? By this I mean not only spoilers and fake air-vents, but a design aimed at high-speed, as opposed to acceleration... the usual condition of sports-cars. I would want something that very rapidly accelerates between street-legal speeds, which might be geared so deeply that even 100 mph is flirting with red line... something that can properly lay down two strips of rubber, ideally with a welded differential (not limited slip, but rather, permanently locked, and so, having to slide a bit whenever turning)... something with tall, soft tires that wrinkle to achieve a "holeshot" launch... something with a way of locking the front brakes without locking the rear, to spin the tires to warm them up before a heroic attempt at acceleration... and something for which aerodynamics or high-speed stability or NVH don't mean a [expletive]. And I would probably want a 5-point harness (yes, I have driven cars on the street, and even in traffic, with a true 5-point harness).

Is the problem now apparent? What OEM is going to sell me a vehicle with slicks, welded differential, line-lock and 5-point harness? Seems like a liability-nightmare, does it not? But what if I lack the skills, the patience or the wherewithal to build such a car myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda