Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 04:25 PM

162 posts, read 101,945 times

Advertisements

I live in Greenfield currently and have been here for 17 years. I can straighten out some of the misconceptions I'm reading here.

First, the closing of the Yankee nuke plant has had zero effect on the economy of Gfld or the overall jobs situation​ here. None. Stopping the Kinder Morgan gas pipeline also has had zero negative effect on the local economy or jobs situation here. None. If anything, no pipeline means a better environment and safer neighborhoods without the threat of them taking our property by eminent domain. Good riddance to them.

The commuter rail also is no factor. As far as I can tell it doesn't really go much of anywhere and not very often. If I want to go to Boston it's Rte 2 all the way and there's a back way to Brattleboro I'm not going to tell everyone about. I take I-95 to Northampton and 5/10 to Amherst, no problem.

Second, there have been low level racial incidents in past years. In the 17 years since I came here noticebly more black and brown and LGBTQ people have come here with better values and new ideas and energy. There's a large lesbian population. Greenfield has a growing Pride Parade which happens to be this weekend. Many of the older "old school" people have died off and the younger generation is more tolerant. I'm surprised to say this but it's sort of all working out in a better way. The Town offices and officials are much easier to deal with now. New, younger people have come here and gotten involved to the betterment of the town.

Third, there's down and out people and some panhandling. It's pretty low key, not aggressive and one thing I really like is that there's a higher level of interaction and getting along of the different stratas of income and lifestyle. I keep to myself but I see them mostly getting along. I'm not afraid downtown, I just don't get involved, and I feel very safe. There's one or two we always give a dollar to. Why not? I have it to give. They are part of the community, more so than me.

The Highland Park area to me is no big deal. A lot of the big old houses are rooming houses, halfway houses. There are better neighborhoods​ but you won't know them by just passing through. I live in one of the best areas and I've grown to really love it here. I hated Gfld at first and thought coming here was the biggest mistake of my life. As Greenfield has come up, everywhere else seems to have gone down and gotten worse. We have excellent grocery stores here and all the essentials - gas, food, movie theater, tailor, music venues, pot shop, pet store, Post office, restaurants, pubs, clothes stores, everything you need.

Deerfield? The center of town has nothing. Just an eyesore propane gas company and a lot of commercial strip malls. Unless you like the smell of Yankee Candle coming in your window all summer, Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts