Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 04:12 PM

77 posts, read 284,464 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if there is anyone who know anything about this issue.

From what I researched it seems like I have to go through all the processes such as changing license, registration, insurance, plate, so on, (possibly 6.25% sales tax too?) if I am staying about 2 years.

But in fact I will only be in the US during the school terms, which is only about 7 months per year, and since I will be back to Canada, I will have to go through the same process when I come back - so this whole process is just a hassle.

So, anyways, I was wondering if I really have to do this. Are there anyone who didn't really bother doing this and not get caught? lol
Would I have trouble passing in and out of the border if I don't do this? (Massachusetts probably has many students from Canada and for sure some of them bring their cars. How do they manage this?)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
You will keep your Ontario registration and plates. Students do not need to change over to a Massachusetts registration. If you decide to remain in the state after finshing school, then at that time your would need Mass registration. You may want to notify your insurance agency in Ontario, that you will be in Massachusetts for the school. I don't know if they adjust your rates for being out of Canada or what they do. So no you do not need to register your car in Mass while you are a student.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:47 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
Jimrob is correct.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 AM

77 posts, read 284,464 times
Are you sure? because RMV Massachusetts personnel told me I have to change everything within 30 days of being here (although she sounded a little like she was just reading instructions and didn't care much about my situation.. kinda rude) And US custom & Boarder Protection is telling me I can probably keep my Ontario licence and registration since I'll be in the US temporarily, though he wasn't 100% sure. Is there a way I can find out the answer other than RMV?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
Are you sure? because RMV Massachusetts personnel told me I have to change everything within 30 days of being here (although she sounded a little like she was just reading instructions and didn't care much about my situation.. kinda rude) And US custom & Boarder Protection is telling me I can probably keep my Ontario licence and registration since I'll be in the US temporarily, though he wasn't 100% sure. Is there a way I can find out the answer other than RMV?
It's 30 days after you establish Mass. residency. Just coming for school does not make you a resident. You're only deemed a resident if you spend more than 183 days a year in Mass. AND you have an abode in Mass. in which you intend to stay permanently, or for the foreseeable future. Since you won't have that, you won't be a Mass. "resident" and you can keep the Ontario licence/plates.

Residency Status

FYI: If you do establish Mass. residency at some point and you've had the car registered for more than 6 months (I think it's 6 months) in Ontario, you don't pay the sales tax. There's a simple form (529?) you fill out affirming that you owned the car and had it registered outside Mass. for that length of time and you're exempt from the tax.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,528 times
The only reason you WOULD need to register your car is if you are going to apply for an on-street parking permit from a town like Somerville. I live in Somerville and parking on the street requires a permit, and that permit requires in-state registration/insurance/etc. Not sure what the rules are in other towns.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:27 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,476 times
Quote:
RMV is king can't go above them, it is on their page SOMEWHERE but above posts are correct. STUDENTS are not residents...technically, there's a loophole for that. BUT as also posted, if you need a parking permit your screwed. You'd have to re-register. Switching to MA license and reg isn't as hard as you think. I've done it a couple times. You give them your old lic and reg, they give you MA ones. You will pay the lic/reg and title fees. You do NOT pay sales tax on something you already own. If your still paying for your car and to not have the title, you must bring Bill of Sale to show sales tax was paid, or not required.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:34 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Quote:

Yes Im sure. The RMV in Mass has been talked to more than once, about the info they give out and how rude they come across. It was much worse some years back than it is now, but still some changes are needed on the customer service. The employee probably doesn't know, may not care and is giving you info as if you were becoming a Mass resident.(Which you are not). I don't know what happened with the info you got from the RMV but it is incorrect. There are thousands of students in Mass from every state and Canada with their home registration on their vehicles. Because its legal.

Just check with your insurance agent on your coverage in Mass. In fact to ease your mind have your agent call the RMV in Mass, and speak to the correct people.

Another poster mentioned needing Mass registration for the on street parking stickers. I believe that is probably correct but if you not needing the sticker forget about that.

Its a pain moving from one state to another when one is American. I can only imagine moving from Canada to one of the states must be confusing, so I can understand your concern. You will be fine though so don't worry about changing over to Mass plates. It is not needed with your student status.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:45 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Hi there, fellow Canadian!

I'm actually from Montreal, currently living in CT, and will be moving to MA at the end of the summer.

I was looking at the RMV site for my license/plate transfer, and came across this:

Massachusetts RMV - Registration Forms

Scroll down to Nonresident Student Vehicle Information Form.

I guess you'll need to fill that out. Pffft. No biggie but you'd better do it -- there's a $50 or $200 fine if you don't (the amount differs when you look at the website versus the form itself).

It's the same deal in CT. Out of state or out of country students do NOT change their plates, license, etc... because they are NOT considered residents. They're students for X number of months per year. So, don't worry about it -- it's all good.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,860 times
We have many summer residents from Canada on the Cape. Ontario plates are pretty common in-season. They don't change their registrations. They also get beach permits based on being a "seasonal" resident. Documentation requirements vary from town-to-town, I believe. I would think students could do the same for other types of permits (parking, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts