Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
I've recently moved to Montgomery Co. MD after spending most of my life in the south, and would agree that a significant majority of folks in the DC burbs in Maryland fit your description....
I had a completely different experience in Howard County. Within hours of the moving truck taking leave, our doorbell started ringing. We were offered plates of cookies, invitations for our kids to play, and help with unpacking. It was one of the friendliest places I've ever lived, and I've lived in a lot of places.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,984,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
I've recently moved to Montgomery Co. MD after spending most of my life in the south, and would agree that a significant majority of folks in the DC burbs in Maryland fit your description:

""I'll ignore you and be rude to you until you can prove that I should be nice." Which is nearly impossible if they won't give you the time of day - unless, you happen to be a relative of their best buddy or something like that or buying something from them. Of course this is based soley on my personal experience."

we have neighbors who can't even be bothered to say hello. Much more hurried here, not as friendly. I find that being a "southerner" is held against me in some situations, because of people's preconceptions. With that said, when we have traveled to more rural parts of Maryland, folks are much more friendly.

I lived in DC as a kid and would agree that there are LOTS of snotty, rude people in DC and its burbs, including Montgomery Co. (where my mom taught school). The DC metro area really has little in common with the rest of MD and VA once you get out of it.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
I would add West Virginia and Missouri into the border state mix too. The northern part of West Virginia is part of the rust belt and very similar to SW PA and Eastern Ohio. The southern part of state is best described as part of the highland south along with SW Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, etc.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,723,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I would add West Virginia and Missouri into the border state mix too. The northern part of West Virginia is part of the rust belt and very similar to SW PA and Eastern Ohio. The southern part of state is best described as part of the highland south along with SW Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, etc.
Definitely. Western MD, the WV panhandle, and Central PA are defintely "Rust Belt." Also, the CB classfies Missouri as Midwest, while many consider it a Southern state.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,322,788 times
If you are willing to look beyond the political borders of the state it becomes much easier to place Maryland into regions. Western Maryland is best placed in the Northern Appalachia, The Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland in the Coastal South, and metro Maryland as part of the Bos-Was corridor. This same principle applies to many states on the east coast. Culture doesn't stop at lines drawn on a map.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 PM

810 posts, read 2,163,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I had a completely different experience in Howard County. Within hours of the moving truck taking leave, our doorbell started ringing. We were offered plates of cookies, invitations for our kids to play, and help with unpacking. It was one of the friendliest places I've ever lived, and I've lived in a lot of places.
hoco is per the census in the bmore area, though I know it leans a bit towards dc.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM

396 posts, read 1,105,720 times
Actually, just went to Columbia in Howard County to do some shopping.
As formercalifornian indicated--it was the friendliest experience I have had since moving to Montgomery Co! We are seriously considering moving to Howard and commuting into Montgomery and I am checking things out...

Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,723,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
If you are willing to look beyond the political borders of the state it becomes much easier to place Maryland into regions. Western Maryland is best placed in the Northern Appalachia, The Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland in the Coastal South, and metro Maryland as part of the Bos-Was corridor. This same principle applies to many states on the east coast. Culture doesn't stop at lines drawn on a map.
Okay, that makes sense, except I wouldn't call Southern MD "southern" anymore. Ever since gambling ended in the region and the state bought out all of the tobacco farms, the region has changed character (culturally and demographically) immensely. As I mentioned before, Calvert and Charles are 2 of the top 10 wealthiest small/medium-sized counties in the country, and are two of the fastest growing counties in the state. Charles county was Obama's 3rd best county in the state (not counting Baltimore), where he won by a margin of 25 points. St. Mary's County has also been a heavily Catholic county historically, which sets it apart from most of the South. The degree to which and how much of the Eastern Shore (including DE) is "Southern" is debatable.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I should take you on a tour of southern MD, I'm sure there are places that would resemble the deep south... SOMD is the home of the 10oz bud light...
Huh???

Someone is going to have to explain that reference to me.

Aside from the fact that I am unfamiliar with 10oz bottles/cans of beer.....

What would make a 10oz Bud Light southern?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 AM

660 posts, read 1,706,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Okay, that makes sense, except I wouldn't call Southern MD "southern" anymore. Ever since gambling ended in the region and the state bought out all of the tobacco farms, the region has changed character (culturally and demographically) immensely. As I mentioned before, Calvert and Charles are 2 of the top 10 wealthiest small/medium-sized counties in the country, and are two of the fastest growing counties in the state. Charles county was Obama's 3rd best county in the state (not counting Baltimore), where he won by a margin of 25 points. St. Mary's County has also been a heavily Catholic county historically, which sets it apart from most of the South. The degree to which and how much of the Eastern Shore (including DE) is "Southern" is debatable.
Southern Maryland is changing pretty rapidly, I agree, but there's a huge difference in the "feel" of semi-rural Carroll County, which seems very Northern, and semi-rural Charles and St. Mary's Counties, which don't.

Obama did well in Charles County because it is a heavily African-American county. There are probably dozens, if not more than a hundred, heavily African-American counties from Mississippi to Virginia where Obama did equally well. So Obama's high vote percentage doesn't make a county less Southern.

If the South is defined as poor, Protestant, slow-growing and Republican, then no, Southern Maryland isn't the South. But then neither are Louisiana, Atlanta, or Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland