Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:55 PM

47 posts, read 168,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFeder View Post
The first planned community was Radburn - near Fairlawn, New Jersey...much like Columbia only I personally like Columbia better having lived in both places.
I really enjoy the planned community. I love the paths, the open space..the fact that my neighbors can't leave their Christmas lights up all year round or have obnoxious lawn ornaments or toilet bowl planters!

HFeder, we are currently in the process of relocating from Radburn (in Fair Lawn, NJ) to MD and we were looking at Columbia. It seems that Columbia is about 4 times bigger than Radburn and unlike Radburn, it has good and bad neighborhoods that I am still confused about. However, the HOA fees are a lot lower.

Since you have lived in both places, please tell me what is better about Columbia in comparisson to Radburn. We have to make a decission soon.

Last edited by Jmandl; 02-24-2009 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 13,730 times
''To people complaining about the lack of unique restaurants and culture in Columbia, I have to say: get in your car and drive 15 miles to Baltimore, or 20 miles to DC. We live in a large, urban, metropolitan area, and if you can't find entertainment in DC and Baltimore, than you may just be too picky''

Well of course we travel to Baltimore and actually to DC quite often when alone but when you have 2 sometimes 3 kids to transport with you to a restaurant it would be nice to find some non-chain places right here. I wouldn't call it picky since the topic is about 'Columbia' and not it's surrounding cities, and to be honest we enjoy some of the chains on occasion as do our kids. Now if someone would like to name a few great places to eat that are not chain-related that would be great and we'd love to try them.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 AM

810 posts, read 2,160,966 times
some suggestions for non-chains in columbia
google them

Iron bridge wine co.
Trattoria Pizza (2 locations 1 in dorsey search village ctr and 1 in kings contrivance village ctr) guilford one seems to be more well known
Sushi Sono seems to be very very well liked; Sushi king also good for sushi
House of India
Cafe de Paris
Aida Bistro

Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 PM

73 posts, read 174,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
First of all, I just want to make it clear I am NOT trying to start any trouble, or be a "troll."

That said, does anyone feel the same way I do about Columbia, MD? When I went there to visit my friend, I got a bad vibe from the area. It was nice and all, with nice-looking apartments, a mall, and many restaurants. However, something about the area felt off, like it was fake or something - I didn't see any actual houses, and the area felt like it was lacking in atmosphere, like it was just generic chains (stores/restaurants) everywhere, and no actual city culture. I hope that makes sense? It also felt too generic and too nice to be real.

Does anyone feel the same way about the city/town (not sure what Columbia is)?

Thanks...and again, hopefully you don't take this post as a trolling one.

Andrew
I live just down the road from Columbia, in the 1960's some developer designed the entire city as a suburban "utopia" many of these were popping around the nation around major cities a neighborhoods but Columbia, MD was the first planned city, so it does seem very generic compared to other places that started off a tiny towns and grew into whatever they are today

Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
some suggestions for non-chains in columbia
google them

Iron bridge wine co.
Trattoria Pizza (2 locations 1 in dorsey search village ctr and 1 in kings contrivance village ctr) guilford one seems to be more well known
Sushi Sono seems to be very very well liked; Sushi king also good for sushi
House of India
Cafe de Paris
Aida Bistro
you forgot Clyde's of Columbia

Old 02-26-2009, 09:42 PM

810 posts, read 2,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazmlp View Post
you forgot Clyde's of Columbia
clyde's is a chain.
and there are more good non-chains but didn't list them all.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
clyde's is a chain.
and there are more good non-chains but didn't list them all.
true but its not like dennys, or red lobster, there is only a couple of clydes

Old 02-28-2009, 08:21 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Clyde's is a chain but its not a national chain, mostly in Maryland, Washington DC and Northern Virginia. Never been there but it gets great reviews. Personally I enjoy chain restaurants a lot in addition to small town diners.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:28 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,270 times
Well - here's my 2 cents.

Columbia is one of the best places to live in the country. Money magazine ranked it #4 of the "best places to live" in the country:

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Columbia/Ellicott City, MD snapshot

Pros:
-People want to live there
-diversity (for what it's worth, lots of upper - middle class African-Americans, Indians, Asians)
-great schools
-lots of outdoor stuff
-a good mall (which is always packed however)
-very LOW crime (Columbia got a "2" out of 10 for violent crime: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Baltimore City got a 7)
-awesome location between DC and Baltimore

Cons:
- yep, it does feel fake. It feels planned because it was planned.
- There aren't an abundance of authentic little mom-and-pop shops and restaurants (although try Akbar, it's the best!). However, Ellicott City has tons of that stuff and is 10 min away.
- The biggest con is that it's expensive. Not as bad as Bethesda, but still quite pricey.

I think Columbia is great place to live, especially if you are raising a family. Now if you looking for the nightlife and are in your early 20's...eh, probably isn't the best fit.

Last edited by Yac; 03-16-2009 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlchick View Post
Well - here's my 2 cents.

Columbia is one of the best places to live in the country. Money magazine ranked it #4 of the "best places to live" in the country:

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Columbia/Ellicott City, MD snapshot

Pros:
-People want to live there
-diversity (for what it's worth, lots of upper - middle class African-Americans, Indians, Asians)
-great schools
-lots of outdoor stuff
-a good mall (which is always packed however)
-very LOW crime (Columbia got a "2" out of 10 for violent crime: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Baltimore City got a 7)
-awesome location between DC and Baltimore

Cons:
- yep, it does feel fake. It feels planned because it was planned.
- There aren't an abundance of authentic little mom-and-pop shops and restaurants (although try Akbar, it's the best!). However, Ellicott City has tons of that stuff and is 10 min away.
- The biggest con is that it's expensive. Not as bad as Bethesda, but still quite pricey.

I think Columbia is great place to live, especially if you are raising a family. Now if you looking for the nightlife and are in your early 20's...eh, probably isn't the best fit.
Sure is if you can afford to live in the right neighborhood with the right neighbors.
Best places to live 2008 - Top 100 City details: Ellicott City, MD - from MONEY Magazine

Number 8 last year.

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland