Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2024, 12:30 PM

257 posts, read 132,391 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had success in Anne Arundel County with reporting neighbors with junk cars? I'm wondering what the correct route to go is since there doesn't seem to be anything readily advertised online for the particular situation that I'm seeing since these vehicles are in fact tagged, but they are constantly sitting up on jacks or otherwise taking up valuable curb space around the cul-de-sac.

I have had success with reporting weeded lots and vacant/uninhabitable structures. The county seems to very much be on top of enforcing those things, and in recent years they have made it very easy and anonymous to do online. Honestly part of my goal is that these structures will be sold, rehabbed, and given new life.

Background: I'm trying to improve my own neighborhood and the somewhat junkier surrounding neighborhoods. Hopefully the people or absentee landlords who own some of these decrepit properties will be fined enough, or hassled enough, into wanting to sell these places to responsible owners. Or maybe they'll just take care of the problems and that is sufficient enough too.

My own little street for example was great until a few years ago when the newly arrived hispanic family seems to have set up some sort of auto shop in front of their house where they not only constantly work on their own cars, but I also see people drop off vehicles and the family will give them a shuttle ride back out. The noise, constant vehicle traffic, loud music, not to mention the likely pollution are becoming enough of a hassle that I need to take care of it for the sake of the neighborhood and the property values here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:14 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Has anyone had success in Anne Arundel County with reporting neighbors with junk cars? I'm wondering what the correct route to go is since there doesn't seem to be anything readily advertised online for the particular situation that I'm seeing since these vehicles are in fact tagged, but they are constantly sitting up on jacks or otherwise taking up valuable curb space around the cul-de-sac.

I have had success with reporting weeded lots and vacant/uninhabitable structures. The county seems to very much be on top of enforcing those things, and in recent years they have made it very easy and anonymous to do online. Honestly part of my goal is that these structures will be sold, rehabbed, and given new life.

Background: I'm trying to improve my own neighborhood and the somewhat junkier surrounding neighborhoods. Hopefully the people or absentee landlords who own some of these decrepit properties will be fined enough, or hassled enough, into wanting to sell these places to responsible owners. Or maybe they'll just take care of the problems and that is sufficient enough too.

My own little street for example was great until a few years ago when the newly arrived hispanic family seems to have set up some sort of auto shop in front of their house where they not only constantly work on their own cars, but I also see people drop off vehicles and the family will give them a shuttle ride back out. The noise, constant vehicle traffic, loud music, not to mention the likely pollution are becoming enough of a hassle that I need to take care of it for the sake of the neighborhood and the property values here.
"I'm wondering what the correct route to go is?"

Why don't you ask the police?

Old Today, 06:28 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
If a vehicle has current tags on it and is parked on the property it isn't defined as "junk" in either State or County law. It doesn't matter if it's up on jacks or sitting on its wheels.

Parked on public property, the street, the definition stays the same but the owner can be cited for having an inoperable vehicle on the public street. There are usually some carve outs for "temporary".

Having said that, local jurisdictions tread very carefully when dealing with vehicles, enforcement can quickly become a public relations nightmare.

The issue of the repair shop would be a matter of County code-are home occupations allowed and what are the requirements. Most jurisdictions mandate a Conditional Use for one to be permitted and may limit types of businesses allowed.

https://www.aacounty.org/sites/defau...ccupations.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland