Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2024, 06:13 PM

14 posts, read 31,998 times

Advertisements

I am moving in from out of state to the Fort Meade, MD area for work. I plan to use public transportation to get to work and head home every day. So, I have been trying to find rental properties in safe communities with a good public transportation system to Fort Meade. So far, it looks like Anne Arundel County, Md has the only system that might help with a North County Call N Ride. Anyone ever use this for work to Fort Meade and back home again?

Every other community that I have found is listed as maybe 35 - 45 minutes from Fort Meade, but has long bus rides, that look like they take hours.

Is there anyway to tell which streets can get this service? Any help would be appreciated, as I am not from the area, and looking for a safe community to live in, with transportation to Fort Meade and back home again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 04:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughDame View Post
I am moving in from out of state to the Fort Meade, MD area for work.
I plan to use public transportation
trying to find rental properties...
Go back to the employer (who knows their area) and ask THEM for a few specific suggestions.
Then find a reliable Uber or Lyft until you can arrange something reliable with a nice co-worker.
Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljm9CDRAhMQ

Old 01-08-2024, 05:59 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
The only public transit that goes into the base afaik is the shuttle from Odenton MARC Station. So if you are anywhere on the Penn Line you can commute via train-bus. Doesn't mean that doesn't take forever either.

Which lead to the other question - what about the daily necessities (i.e. grocery etc.)? Do you plan to rely on public transport or walk?

The tl;dr version: Fort Meade is in the middle of suburbia, what kind of public transit do you expect anyway?

Old 01-08-2024, 03:16 PM

14 posts, read 31,998 times
Thanks for the help.....especially MrRational. The South Pacific reference made my day. I've moved around quite a bit, usually with a car. I have lived in the city, the burbs, and rural communities. I thought I could ditch the car this trip. I will look for a reputable car dealer when I get there. Thanks again, everyone.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:10 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
Assuming you have visited the Ft Meade employer during the interview process, did you not notice the giant parking lots surrounding the various organizations' campus areas on post? Not trying to be snarky; just pointing out that those parking lots are there because there is very little in the way of public transportation that serves Ft. Meade, and the few options that are available are inconvenient and extremely time consuming. You're going to be better off with your own transportation. However, with so many people commuting to Ft. Meade from virtually every surrounding community, you will also likely be able to find a carpool arrangement from whatever neighborhood you choose to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: