Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 11:07 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times

Advertisements

NBP - state legislation is your area of expertise. The bill, which died in April 2023, imposed a restriction on the sale of personally identifiable information of MD voters by the State of Maryland. Do you have any clue as to why it failed?

https://www.billtrack50.com/billdetail/1567661

Quote:
Bill Summary
AN ACT concerning Election Law - Voter Registration List - Right to Opt Out of the Sale of Personally Identifiable Information FOR the purpose of requiring the State Board of Elections to establish, by regulation, a process by which an individual may opt out of the sale of personally identifiable information in the individual’s voter registration record to any person other than an employee or a vendor of the State Board or a local board; prohibiting personal information in an individual’s voter registration record from being sold under certain provisions of law if the individual has opted out of the sale; and generally relating to the statewide voter registration list. BY adding to Article - Election Law Section 3-101.1 Annotated Code of Maryland (2022 Replacement Volume and 2022 Supplement) BY repealing and reenacting, with amendments, Article - Election Law Section 3-506 Annotated Code of Maryland (2022 Replacement Volume and 2022 Supplement)
https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2023RS/bills/hb/hb1212f.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 03:11 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Thank you for the compliment.

I do not know but I'll hazard a guess. Voter registration lists have several uses for election campaigns. From voter outreach to targeting mailings to determining where to concentrate resources.

You may have had Legislators who didn't believe that information protection trumped those uses.

I know I've used registration lists in the past to tie down voters (or more often to find out if somebody is even registered to vote when they start complaining about how they supported me and I have to do what they tell me to. Most times they weren't even registered to vote).

Old 12-27-2023, 03:49 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I do not know but I'll hazard a guess. Voter registration lists have several uses for election campaigns. From voter outreach to targeting mailings to determining where to concentrate resources.

You may have had Legislators who didn't believe that information protection trumped those uses.

I know I've used registration lists in the past to tie down voters (or more often to find out if somebody is even registered to vote when they start complaining about how they supported me and I have to do what they tell me to. Most times they weren't even registered to vote).
Sorry just struck me as funny.

Old 12-27-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Do you think voter information is available for sale to non-political entities?

Old 12-27-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Do you think voter information is available for sale to non-political entities?
Anyone can go in and get the voter registration lists for a jurisdiction right now, you don't need to be affiliated with a candidate or campaign. Voter roles are by definition "public information".

It used to be hard copies, now they're usually on a CD.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Anyone can go in and get the voter registration lists for a jurisdiction right now, you don't need to be affiliated with a candidate or campaign. Voter roles are by definition "public information".

It used to be hard copies, now they're usually on a CD.
Not sure how the State defines "public information," but, imo, if it's not "free," then it's private, like an online subscription to a newspaper, and accessible to any person willing to pay a fee for the information. I don't have issue with this, as long as there's a public purpose associated with the use of voter information.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:47 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Not sure how the State defines "public information," but, imo, if it's not "free," then it's private, like an online subscription to a newspaper, and accessible to any person willing to pay a fee for the information. I don't have issue with this, as long as there's a public purpose associated with the use of voter information.
Unless I grant permission , it's my info and should not be sold if I don't want it to be, Just MO,

Old 12-28-2023, 04:14 AM

Quote:
It isn't "free" per se, there are administrative costs charged associated with preparing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Unless I grant permission , it's my info and should not be sold if I don't want it to be, Just MO,
Have you ever used this site:
https://sdat.dat.maryland.gov/RealPr...s/default.aspx

Pump in the address and find out what a property is assessed at, the use, how much the current owner paid for it and when, how much the last two or three owners paid, a property description.

For voter lists you have the name, address, political party and if the person has voted the last two or three election cycles.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 12-28-2023 at 04:30 AM..

Old 12-28-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
It isn't "free" per se, there are administrative costs charged associated with preparing it.
A nominal fee generally means it's free. I thought that would be the case, and the reason why I put the word free in quotes. I'm ok with public purposes, such as the court system obtaining a pool of potential jurists, or even receiving unwanted political campaign fundraising solicitations. But I don't like the idea of receiving unwanted solicitations from the for-profit/tax-exempt sectors as a result of the State selling my name.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
A nominal fee generally means it's free. I thought that would be the case, and the reason why I put the word free in quotes. I'm ok with public purposes, such as the court system obtaining a pool of potential jurists, or even receiving unwanted political campaign fundraising solicitations. But I don't like the idea of receiving unwanted solicitations from the for-profit/tax-exempt sectors as a result of the State selling my name.
Can you give an example of the last?

There is a lot of case law out there pertaining to public records and what is and is not allowable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: