Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2023, 05:25 PM

265 posts, read 509,252 times

Advertisements

My dad moved us here to EC in 1974 and it was so rural and lots of open land and farms. Columbia was just starting to be built and I remember Columbia Lakeside was just being dug. When it was finished I remember me and my brother went canoeing on the lake.

Bennigans and the Movie theatre was there. Great place for date night.

Fast forward to today.

Every time I go to see my brother or sister who lives in EC. It takes so long just from Catonsville. In the past it would take like 15 mins now its longer. I understand all the traffic but it's pretty bad.

So, does EC still got it's charm? It's still very expensive to live here. You have to earn at least $140,000 to make it and the homes are very expensive. Some schools are great but some are aweful. I know cause I use to go to those schools to talk about the library, promote reading and getting a library card, coming to a class or program and such and those kids where so bad. Very disrespectful to the teacher and to me the guest. When I went to school, yes there where some bad kids there but they never really bothered anyone but hung out with their group in the smoking area.

Then you have the traffic, the bad areas in Columbia and parts of EC. I see more and more homeless people on Rt 40. You try to go out to the western part of the county for a nice drive and there are cars on your bumper or even the back roads always a car and always in a hurry.

Let me know your thoughts if you live there. What is going to happen when all the rest of the farms are bought up and homes and business built there. Will Howard County run out of space for any new people who might move here and don't want to live in Carrol Frederick or Baltimore County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 08:18 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Nearly half of Howard County's land area has been "permanently" preserved as agricultural use or other open space. I put "permanently" in quotes because land preservation is ultimately a political issue, and nothing is permanent in politics. But at least for now, large-scale development is prohibited to the west of the Planned Service Area boundary, a zig-zaggy line that delineates basically everything west of Ellicott City and Columbia.

There are still nice things about living in Ellicott City, but for me the appeal is definitely wearing off. I'm looking to move away not too long from now. Reasons for wanting to leave are not only due to congestion, but also due to the worsening crime, the lack of desire to do anything about it (because That Would Be Racist), and an increasingly leftward drift politically.

Old 11-09-2023, 05:31 PM

17,604 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
My dad moved us here to EC in 1974 and it was so rural and lots of open land and farms. Columbia was just starting to be built and I remember Columbia Lakeside was just being dug. When it was finished I remember me and my brother went canoeing on the lake.

Bennigans and the Movie theatre was there. Great place for date night.

Fast forward to today.

Every time I go to see my brother or sister who lives in EC. It takes so long just from Catonsville. In the past it would take like 15 mins now its longer. I understand all the traffic but it's pretty bad.

So, does EC still got it's charm? It's still very expensive to live here. You have to earn at least $140,000 to make it and the homes are very expensive. Some schools are great but some are aweful. I know cause I use to go to those schools to talk about the library, promote reading and getting a library card, coming to a class or program and such and those kids where so bad. Very disrespectful to the teacher and to me the guest. When I went to school, yes there where some bad kids there but they never really bothered anyone but hung out with their group in the smoking area.

Then you have the traffic, the bad areas in Columbia and parts of EC. I see more and more homeless people on Rt 40. You try to go out to the western part of the county for a nice drive and there are cars on your bumper or even the back roads always a car and always in a hurry.

Let me know your thoughts if you live there. What is going to happen when all the rest of the farms are bought up and homes and business built there. Will Howard County run out of space for any new people who might move here and don't want to live in Carrol Frederick or Baltimore County.
After I got stationed in Fort Meade, I lived in Columbia and worked as a bartender and server at the Bennigan's you mentioned in your post. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:04 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Nearly half of Howard County's land area has been "permanently" preserved as agricultural use or other open space. I put "permanently" in quotes because land preservation is ultimately a political issue, and nothing is permanent in politics. But at least for now, large-scale development is prohibited to the west of the Planned Service Area boundary, a zig-zaggy line that delineates basically everything west of Ellicott City and Columbia.

There are still nice things about living in Ellicott City, but for me the appeal is definitely wearing off. I'm looking to move away not too long from now. Reasons for wanting to leave are not only due to congestion, but also due to the worsening crime, the lack of desire to do anything about it (because That Would Be Racist), and an increasingly leftward drift politically.
Yep, that's pretty much spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland