Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 05:56 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Let's see, California lost less than 1% of it's population over the last couple years, mostly due to high housing costs (costs that are high because so many people want to live there) and due to the pandemic. At 39 million, it's still the most populous state in the union. And most of those that left were people that had moved there from elsewhere already.

According to the US Census Bureau state to state migration flows, an estimated 275,266 people left Florida in 2022. Only 138,000 left California in 2022.
Hmm. Something is NOT adding up.

You claim Fla LOST population, yet:

Florida GAINED 2%. The No.1 in the country, and California LOST-0.29%

Fastest Growing States 2023

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...growing-states

Last edited by Quick Enough; 10-20-2023 at 06:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 06:09 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know if the Maryland Department of Planning has updated its projections but eight or ten years ago the estimate was that Maryland would have a net population gain of just under two million by 2030 over what it was then.
"has updated its projections"
Have they EVER been right?

Old 10-20-2023, 06:28 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"has updated its projections"
Have they EVER been right?
Actually, yes. They called the astronomical growth of Southern Maryland back in the 1970s that began in the late 80s and continues, although slower, today. The people who screwed the pooch back then were the local officials. They didn't put two and two together with school growth and clung to the belief that people of child bearing age couldn't afford the houses being built. They were wrong.

The only kicker was that they didn't get St. Mary's exactly right, mostly because no one saw BRAC coming and how so many commands would be consolidated at PAX. At the time the talk/belief was that PAX would slowly attrite missions out to Edwards where the flight rules were, still are, looser.

They also projected that Prince George's would become majority Black when the County was still 75% White.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:36 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Born in DC, lived in SE until 7. Moved to PG where I grew up. Saw plenty of white flight especially when busing took hold. What a frigging joke that was......When PG became majority black, the state, county took years to stop busing, even though they were busing black kids miles to other black schools. Rediculous, Maryland just sucks, too bad. Moved the hell out in the late 80s to Fairfax, Va. were my wife and I prospered. Much lower taxes, insurance, and at the time lower home costs.

Eventually we retired and moved (ill spouse) but did not choose Maryland, for sure, although it was the water environment that we wanted, Chesapeake Bay and or Atlantic ocean in which Maryland can provide. Maryland was out of the question, so we eyeballed Virginia's eastern shore, jumped over Maryland and chose southern Delaware's shore instead because of infrastructure and low taxes. Ironically, near China Joe's ocean villa paid for by China in 2017. Although Delaware only has 3 counties, Sussex in southern Delaware is the only one that votes majority republican.

Although I like Maryland, its politics, policies etc. (CRIME) stink and said goodby many years ago and never looked back.

Last edited by jmking; 10-20-2023 at 07:49 AM..

Old 10-20-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Born in DC, lived in SE until 7. Moved to PG where I grew up. Saw plenty of white flight especially when busing took hold. What a frigging joke that was......When PG became majority black, the state, county took years to stop busing, even though they were busing black kids miles to other black schools. Rediculous, Maryland just sucks, too bad. Moved the hell out in the late 80s to Fairfax, Va. were my wife and I prospered. Much lower taxes, insurance, and at the time lower home costs.

Eventually we retired and moved (ill spouse) but did not choose Maryland, for sure, although it was the water environment that we wanted, Chesapeake Bay and or Atlantic ocean in which Maryland can provide. Maryland was out of the question, so we eyeballed Virginia's eastern shore, jumped over Maryland and chose southern Delaware's shore instead because of infrastructure and low taxes. Ironically, near China Joe's ocean villa paid for by China in 2017. Although Delaware only has 3 counties, Sussex in southern Delaware is the only one that votes majority republican.

Although I like Maryland, its politics, policies etc. (CRIME) stink and said goodby many years ago and never looked back.
That was because of a Federal court order that wasn't vacated for years after repeated requests.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
That was because of a Federal court order that wasn't vacated for years after repeated requests.
And that it would cost the tax payers millions to stop the nonsense. You'd think it would save the county/state. Yes, I do recall federal issues, but I do not recall the state fighting that federal mandate tooth and nail, not in the least. It just kept going and going....while white folks headed south in droves.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
And that it would cost the tax payers millions to stop the nonsense. You'd think it would save the county/state. Yes, I do recall federal issues, but I do not recall the state fighting that federal mandate tooth and nail, not in the least. It just kept going and going....while white folks headed south in droves.
It wasn't the State's place to fight it. The County, meaning the school system, started fighting it in the early/mid 1980s when John Murphy was Superintendent (he was the one who introduced magnet schools to make the Court be nice and vacate it) through Felegy and then Jerome Clark when it was finally ended.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:40 AM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:

We went through forced busing in 70's Boston. Of course it didn't effect the Governor in Brookline or the overseeing federal judge in Wellesley.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:12 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
Actually, yes. They called the astronomical growth of Southern Maryland back in the 1970s that began in the late 80s and continues, although slower, today. The people who screwed the pooch back then were the local officials. They didn't put two and two together with school growth and clung to the belief that people of child bearing age couldn't afford the houses being built. They were wrong.

The only kicker was that they didn't get St. Mary's exactly right, mostly because no one saw BRAC coming and how so many commands would be consolidated at PAX. At the time the talk/belief was that PAX would slowly attrite missions out to Edwards where the flight rules were, still are, looser.

They also projected that Prince George's would become majority Black when the County was still 75% White.
PG County has always been the DMV's ugly step sister, even when it was majority white. I recall a lot of white residents complaining that the "master plan" has always been to direct black people to PG County to "save" Montgomery County and the other surrounding counties.

Old 10-21-2023, 05:15 AM

Quote:
It wasn't the State's place to fight it. The County, meaning the school system, started fighting it in the early/mid 1980s when John Murphy was Superintendent (he was the one who introduced magnet schools to make the Court be nice and vacate it) through Felegy and then Jerome Clark when it was finally ended.
"By Lisa Frazier

September 2, 1998

A federal judge in Greenbelt yesterday ordered the end to mandatory busing in Prince George's County, concluding a 26-year-old government effort to desegregate the schools and closing one of the most divisive chapters in the county's history.
During the next six years, busing will be phased out as the county begins building 13 neighborhood schools and refurbishing older ones. Under a settlement to end busing, the school system also will focus on boosting the academic achievement of all students and closing the achievement gap between African American students and their peers."

The boosting of academic achievement should have been the goal from the very beginning. Instead sacrificing one group of people for another. Spending millions of $ on buses, drivers, causing thousands of families to uproot and leave the county for good.

So the decision was made in 1998 in which it took six years later to end busing around 2004. 30 years experimenting with American children and tax paying families.

"In 1974, Prince George's County, Maryland, became the largest school district in the United States forced to adopt a busing plan. The county, a large suburban school district east of Washington, D.C., was over 80 percent white in population and in the public schools."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland