Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 6,762 times

Advertisements

Good Day Everyone,

I found out I will be relocating to the Fort Meade area in about a year for a position. I am starting my search online early but hope to find some assistance/recommendation in zoning in an area. I am looking for a quiet, safe area with easy access to stores such as Wegmans, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. Additionally, close access to hiking trails, farmers markets, art museums/galleries. I have read from other forums on here to look at Columbia, Elkridge, and Ellicott City but even within these forums folks are saying with the exception of Ellicott City that these areas have crime issues. If you all can confirm this or recommend other areas it would be very helpful. I am in my early 30s, single, and just looking to live in an area with like-minded professionals as well. Finally, I am willing to commute less than 20 miles from Fort Meade. Thank You in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 11:13 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonpareil1710 View Post
........ I have read from other forums on here to look at Columbia, Elkridge, and Ellicott City but even within these forums folks are saying with the exception of Ellicott City that these areas have crime issues.......
Every place in the world has crime issues. If you want interesting and vibrant surroundings, you have to accept that some of the poor folks will try to rob the rich folks, or break in to their homes.

I also suggest Odenton which is a bland suburban area filled with folks who work at Fort Meade. It is probably safer than Columbia, but has fewer amenities. Also look at Crofton, though the commute from some parts may be more than 20 minutes.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:27 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I found out I will be relocating to the Fort Meade area in about a year for a position.
I wish just one of these would mention what help/info the new employer had to offer.
btw... just how long do you expect to remain at this job?

Quote:
...am in my early 30s, single, and just looking to live in an area with like-minded
...Wegmans, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. hiking trails, farmers markets, art museums/galleries
... I am (un) willing to commute (more) than 20 miles from Fort Meade.
Find an employer IN a large city. Accept that NO Place has no crime.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:31 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Good Day Everyone,

I found out I will be relocating to the Fort Meade area in about a year for a position. I am starting my search online early but hope to find some assistance/recommendation in zoning in an area. I am looking for a quiet, safe area with easy access to stores such as Wegmans, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. Additionally, close access to hiking trails, farmers markets, art museums/galleries. I have read from other forums on here to look at Columbia, Elkridge, and Ellicott City but even within these forums folks are saying with the exception of Ellicott City that these areas have crime issues. If you all can confirm this or recommend other areas it would be very helpful. I am in my early 30s, single, and just looking to live in an area with like-minded professionals as well. Finally, I am willing to commute less than 20 miles from Fort Meade. Thank You in advance.
I don't know how much of a commute your willing to do or budget but Odenton, Crofton, Millersville and towards Annapolis have some nice areas maybe even Severna Park.

Old 09-25-2021, 03:39 PM

153 posts, read 319,131 times
The closest Whole Foods, Wegmans and Trader Joes to Fort Meade are Columbia and Annapolis. You didn't mention rent or buy or budget. Fort Meade also has housing if you are working for the government. But do your homework there because there were problems with Corvias and mold in some of the apts. I did look at them once and they seemed ok.

IMO there will be more things to do and you'll be closer to recreation if you live outside Fort Meade. Odenton is right next to the Patuxent Refuge Park with many trails and very close to Fort Meade. I've walked there many times and is very nice.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:16 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaponies View Post
The closest Whole Foods, Wegmans and Trader Joes to Fort Meade are Columbia and Annapolis. You didn't mention rent or buy or budget. Fort Meade also has housing if you are working for the government. But do your homework there because there were problems with Corvias and mold in some of the apts. I did look at them once and they seemed ok.

IMO there will be more things to do and you'll be closer to recreation if you live outside Fort Meade. Odenton is right next to the Patuxent Refuge Park with many trails and very close to Fort Meade. I've walked there many times and is very nice.
Wegman's in Crofton.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:18 AM

153 posts, read 319,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Wegman's in Crofton.

Yes, plus many Giant Food, Safeway stores in the area plus Target in Gambrills, Annapolis and Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland