Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 05:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,832 times

Advertisements

Parents are in their 70s and are kicking the can down the road when it comes to moving out of our childhood home. They’re spending way too much time and money on upkeep and still never seem to tackle all of the necessary projects.

They won’t consider moving because “there’s no place to go.” They have yet to find a safe, quiet, charming neighborhood with smaller homes or townhouses around Mont Co or Fairfax.

In a city this big there *must* be some good neighborhoods to check out - any recommendations? I suggested Loudoun County because that’s generally the feel they like but too far for them as we still have family and friends in Bethesda/Potomac.

Any recommendations?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 06:37 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
You might post this in the DC suburbs subforum. Folks there would have a better idea of the close in suburbs

Old 09-23-2021, 04:31 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbh3y View Post
..... They have yet to find a safe, quiet, charming neighborhood with smaller homes or townhouses around Mont Co or Fairfax..... we still have family and friends in Bethesda/Potomac.

Any recommendations?!
I suggest Kensington and the Forest Glen area. Perhaps a ranch house in Chevy Chase or Silver Spring.

Old 09-24-2021, 12:45 PM

122 posts, read 169,597 times
Urbana is in Frederick County but just off 270 for easy non rush hour travel. There are 55 and over homes there, townhomes, and condos. A few restaurants, library in or just outside of the development.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Since you didn’t mention a price range and want close to Bethesda and Potomac, look at Somerset in Chevy Chase. Ramblers with about 1500 sf for one level living with full basement if equal size and small lots. Wonderful, walkable town.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:04 AM

993 posts, read 766,974 times
I’ve been through this with my parents and we are in our 60s but recently moved into a ranch home. So here it goes….We lived in kensington for 30 years, before that Chevy chase. I know the area well. And for fun I keep up with the real estate market down there. We now live in Braddock Heights, near Frederick.

Single story ranch homes are difficult to find in BCC. But they are occasionally available. Expect to pay about 700k minimum for one needing a lot of updating. To over 1 to 1.5 million for one that is pretty much move in ready. So your parents have to be willing to go through a renovation most likely unless they luck out. They need a sharp broker with lots of contacts who works that area exclusively.

But let me throw out some other ideas. You said your parents are in their 70s. They aren’t that far away from benefitting from living in a retirement community. Why go to the expense of a new house if they have to move again in 5-8-10 years? If they are managing, why not stay put for the time being? If you break down the cost of moving into a new place vs. the cost of staying put, they will probably save by staying in their home.

I know you want them to stay in the MoCo area but…..my mom moved into an excellent, fun retirement community in Annapolis called Heritage Harbor. They have hundreds of one level detached homes, townhomes and condos. It on the water and they have every activity you can imagine. It was built in the 70s and is well established. Lots of folks from BCC move there. You should visit with your parents. They probably know people who live there. Annapolis itself has a lot to offer. My mom found wonderful doctors. She moved out a couple years ago, to be near me. She needed more hands on care.

So….tuck this away….she moved into a condo in a retirement community that offers more care, like meals. It’s called Buckinghams Choice near Urbana. We are so pleased with this facility. If they ever need that level of care, definitely check it out. They have individual cottages too

I know Kings Farm has a retirement community folks like but I don’t know the name of it.

Old 09-30-2021, 07:58 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I would X out the idea of a townhouse. Seniors and stairs don't mix. We also need to have some sort of an idea on a budge. A one level home in Chevy Chase will be hard to find and very expensive. What about a condo in downtown Bethesda? Close to everything and easy to navigate.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:09 AM

45,394 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I'll ask the same question as I asked here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/61989588-post3.html

As a side note as to their spending money on their current house: it's their money to spend.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:17 PM

993 posts, read 766,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'll ask the same question as I asked here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/61989588-post3.html

As a side note as to their spending money on their current house: it's their money to spend.
Ha! Yep, it’s their money. Good point.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:53 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Agree with North Beach. What do the parents want to do? That's all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland