Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,134 times

Advertisements

I’m relocating to Maryland for work and will be traveling to 3 office locations: Baltimore, Annapolis Junction and Alexandria, VA. Annapolis Junction will be my main office, so I will be commuting there 3 times a week and then once a week for the other two.

The plan is to rent a townhouse, 3+ bedroom that costs less than $3,000 per month in rent. My wife and I have a newborn, so schools aren’t an immediate concern but will be in 4-5 years. Recommendations so far have been Columbia, Ellicott City, North Laurel and Elkridge.

I’m interested in a safe, diverse neighborhood and a walkable downtown would be a plus. We have visited Silver Spring and like it, I’m just not sure how the daily commute would be since I’ve heard traffic in this area can be a nightmare, I would like to keep my commute to Annapolis Junction under 45 minutes. Any advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 AM

103 posts, read 184,098 times
Where will you be coming from? That can help us calibrate and compare to what you may be used to (urban, suburban, rural). Also, will your commute be during rush hour (after 7:15 am, and between 4 and 6pm)?

Your budget should get you pretty much anywhere, even into places like Annapolis/Parole that are close to Route 50 (i.e. Tidewater Colony townhomes off of Rowe Blvd), and Catonsville, both of which have quaint/walkable downtown areas and within reasonable commute times.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:03 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,422 times
Howard County (where Columbia, Ellicott City, Elkridge, and North Laurel are located) is a nice area with significant diversity and safe neighborhoods, and the commute to Annapolis Junction would certainly be reasonable. However, you might find that somewhere on the other side of Ft. Meade would might provide more convenient access to the other 2 locations while still providing a reasonable commute to Annapolis Junction.

In addition to Howard County, also look in the Crofton/Severna Park/Gambrills area and even Bowie.

Your budget would cover a nice townhome in a safe area in most areas within commuting distance of any of your work locations.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,134 times
Thank you for the suggestions. We are relocating from central NJ, which is suburban but I've always wanted to live in a town with a walkable downtown. I just think it would be nice to be able to walk to multiple restaurants, shops, bars, etc. We also like going to festivals, street fairs and other community events. We don't know too many people in Maryland so I think it would help us meet our neighbors as well. And yes my commute will be during rush hour. Thank you again for the detailed responses, they are most helpful.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:53 AM

103 posts, read 184,098 times
I am not familiar with NJ, so this may be a stretch - but for reference, I am familiar with some of Philadelphia's suburbs, and most of the areas near Annapolis Junction don't have the walkable downtowns that many quaint areas near Philly do - Media, Springfield, Drexel Hill, Ambler, etc.

A place like Severna Park has a small stretch (search Google streetview some place like 558 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd, Severna Park, MD 21146) of a "downtown" but these are mostly limited to towns like Annapolis, Ellicott City (in national news recently for flooding), Catonsville.

*Edit: I will add that there is an area of Crofton that does not have great amenities but has a homey feel that adds desireability - known as "inside the triangle" near Crofton Country Club. It's got treelined sidewalks and little commercial action but in nice weather you can walk to a Rita's Italian Ice, Rite Aid, etc. Lots of townhomes for rent in the area and there is a Farmer's Market on Wednesdays at the Country Club parking lot. Here is the general area: https://goo.gl/maps/RMBGiE8A5Tk.

Last edited by MDaaCo; 07-03-2018 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-04-2018, 07:09 PM

148 posts, read 242,878 times
Columbia, or Crofton. Severna Park is mostly older single family homes and a bit $$$.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:16 AM

44 posts, read 71,854 times
It sounds like the previous poster had some bad experiences, but as you can see from my name, I feel differently. Options are bountiful, but you will be commuting to 3 very different locations, and traffic throughout those areas is challenging. Move to the area to which you will be commuting most frequently (or as close as possible). No area will be convenient to all three. All have heavy traffic.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 7,115 times
Arabian nights

Old 07-12-2018, 07:24 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,091,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousMaryland View Post
It sounds like the previous poster had some bad experiences, but as you can see from my name, I feel differently. Options are bountiful, but you will be commuting to 3 very different locations, and traffic throughout those areas is challenging. Move to the area to which you will be commuting most frequently (or as close as possible). No area will be convenient to all three. All have heavy traffic.
Monitor Google Maps for a while, during the rush hours you would be traveling. Learn where and when the worst traffic (Red) is, and pick the location where you will be traveling in the opposite direction during the proscribed times. That is where you should be looking to live. Sounds like you might have bad traffic on some days, which will require compromise.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,166 times
I love Southern Maryland - Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's county. Decent schools, homes are still affordable, and we've got some diverse areas - it really depends on the specifics you are looking for. From the middle to upper Calvert County, your commute wouldn't be bad. I've lived in northern St. Mary's county for 23 years now. My husband commutes to DC. Baltimore is an hour, Alexandria is 45 minutes (depends on travel time) and I can make it to the Baltimore airport in an hour and 10 minutes - Annapolis in an hour. If you are looking for country quaint Southern Maryland has charm. Good luck with your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland