Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFinMD View Post
Maryland is a border state so answering this question is harder than you think.

In the urban areas of the Baltimore and Washington metropolitan regions, I would say there's a definite Northern attitude.

But the rural areas, especially in Southern Maryland (tobacco country) and lower Eastern Shore, there's a Southern vibe.

Go due north-northwest (in Western Maryland places like Frederick, Hagerstown, Cumberland, Hancock, Oakland) and you will find Northerners who are Southern sympathizers.
I generally agree with this, though I disagree slightly with the description of western Maryland.

In central Maryland (i.e. areas along and near the I-95 corridor), the Old Line State is definitely a northern state (though not as northern as Pennsylvania).

On the Delmarva Peninsula and the areas many miles southeast of DC, the region is coastal rural, which has a lot of similarities with the South. The further south you go in these areas, the more Southern they become.

In western Maryland, especially west of the Blue Ridge Mountains (or the chain that becomes the Blue Ridge further south), there is a definite Appalachia or mountain rural vibe, similar to what you have in western and rural central Pennsylvania and much of West Virginia. Mountain rural areas are quite a bit different than coastal rural areas; perhaps the single-biggest difference is the homogeneity (Caucasian) of the population and a greater emphasis on blue collar manufacturing/mining work rather than farming (though there are many farms in this area too but they tend to be relatively small). These areas aren't Southern in feeling, but they aren't Northern in feeling either (if you consider Northern to be the urban East Coast/Megalopolis); they are in a distinct region, Appalachia. This becomes more true the further west you go.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:26 PM

128 posts, read 347,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
In western Maryland, especially west of the Blue Ridge Mountains (or the chain that becomes the Blue Ridge further south), there is a definite Appalachia or mountain rural vibe, similar to what you have in western and rural central Pennsylvania and much of West Virginia. Mountain rural areas are quite a bit different than coastal rural areas; perhaps the single-biggest difference is the homogeneity (Caucasian) of the population and a greater emphasis on blue collar manufacturing/mining work rather than farming (though there are many farms in this area too but they tend to be relatively small). These areas aren't Southern in feeling, but they aren't Northern in feeling either (if you consider Northern to be the urban East Coast/Megalopolis); they are in a distinct region, Appalachia. This becomes more true the further west you go.
I will not disagree with this. When I said Southern symphathizers, I'm mostly referring to political sentiments, that is, the area being a conservative stronghold (somewhat like the Eastern Shore). Of course, Maryland is very liberal/progressive in the heavily populated area inclusive of the Washington and Baltimore urban cores. Anne Arundel County, where I live, is somewhat of a conservative oasis in the middle of all that. When I say conservative, I mean that Republicans are joined by LOTS of conservative Democrats.

Culturally, Western Maryland probably is, as you say, mountain/rural of the Appalachian flavor.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:30 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
Maryland is cultural and physically northern imho, but that's overall. MD relates more with the mid Atlantic because we have both the north and the south in our state and others as well such as the Appalachia kind of culture. i don't think it really matters what we are though

Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Yes. Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon line. Doesn't that make it part of the South?
i find it surprising some people are still living in the 1800's

Old 02-17-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFinMD View Post
I will not disagree with this. When I said Southern symphathizers, I'm mostly referring to political sentiments, that is, the area being a conservative stronghold (somewhat like the Eastern Shore). Of course, Maryland is very liberal/progressive in the heavily populated area inclusive of the Washington and Baltimore urban cores. Anne Arundel County, where I live, is somewhat of a conservative oasis in the middle of all that. When I say conservative, I mean that Republicans are joined by LOTS of conservative Democrats.

Culturally, Western Maryland probably is, as you say, mountain/rural of the Appalachian flavor.
Gotcha. I just made my comments above because a lot of people on here seem to think that western Maryland and Delmarva are very similar. They probably are politically-speaking (which has to do more with being rural than being North or South) but they are much different from one another otherwise.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:35 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,747 times
Culturally, it's the north. There is nothing southern about that state. If you've been to the deep south and then to Maryland, it's clear that Maryland is not a southern state.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 PM

151 posts, read 739,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Culturally, it's the north. There is nothing southern about that state. If you've been to the deep south and then to Maryland, it's clear that Maryland is not a southern state.
If you've been to Maine, then went to Maryland, then its clear thats its not a Northeast state either.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrySRA View Post
If you've been to Maine, then went to Maryland, then its clear thats its not a Northeast state either.
To be honest, under that criteria neither Pennsylvania nor New Jersey are Northeast states either.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,164 times
I'll answer your question if you answer mine! Is Pittsburgh Northeastern, Appalachian, or Midwestern?

I'll answer yours anyway....I believe Maryland is Northeast with Baltimore in particular being East Coast. Baltimore is dense with thousands of rowhouses which is very typical of the Mid-atlantic and rather unlike most Southern cities. Baltimore (and thus a large portion of Maryland down to DC) has some serious influence from culturally from the megalopolis to the north.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM

I've long considered Pittsburgh to be the primate (i.e. most important/dominant) city of Appalachia. In terms of other relatively large cities, Pittsburgh has more in common with Cleveland, Buffalo, and Rochester than it does with Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Washington. I believe the northern portion of Appalachia has a higher degree of similarity (actually a much higher degree of similarity) with the eastern Great Lakes area than it does with the Northeast Corridor/Megalopolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland