Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:41 PM

45,431 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

in honor of today's road conditions in MD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6Zx_fzpq8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,236,087 times
You couldn't have picked a more accurate song to describe the roads today.

Most all the schools and districts have already posted that they will be on 2 hour delays tomorrow, although I wouldn't be surprised if they updated to closed. It's already refreezing, I almost slipped twice taking out some recycling about an hour ago.

Here in AA county, our board of ed is already paranoid enough after an accident earlier this year.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:16 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
You couldn't have picked a more accurate song to describe the roads today.

Most all the schools and districts have already posted that they will be on 2 hour delays tomorrow, although I wouldn't be surprised if they updated to closed. It's already refreezing, I almost slipped twice taking out some recycling about an hour ago.

Here in AA county, our board of ed is already paranoid enough after an accident earlier this year.
It's supposed to warm up pretty significantly overnight, so hopefully roads/sidewalks won't be bad tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:46 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,320,211 times
You guys got it worse than us again. Strange weather patterns.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
It's supposed to warm up pretty significantly overnight, so hopefully roads/sidewalks won't be bad tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
You could hear it melting here today. It almost sounded like it was raining, from it melting off the roof!

It turns out I was right, they eventually updated the schools to closed here. I've been wondering how long into June they're going to have to go. I was in 10th grade when we had the two "snowmageddons" in 2010 and they waived all the days we missed...but that was only because it was a state of emergency was declared.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
You could hear it melting here today. It almost sounded like it was raining, from it melting off the roof!

It turns out I was right, they eventually updated the schools to closed here. I've been wondering how long into June they're going to have to go. I was in 10th grade when we had the two "snowmageddons" in 2010 and they waived all the days we missed...but that was only because it was a state of emergency was declared.
If a State of Emergency isn't declared then it's almost impossible to get a waiver from required attendance days.

If waivers are available the school system also has to request them, it's not a blanket grant. One local system (I won't name it but the letters P and G are in the name) never asks for the full number. A couple times they didn't ask for any. That was the year we went until June 25 or 26. I don't remember which rotating Superintendent was in charge then. Maybe the one who went to prison.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If a State of Emergency isn't declared then it's almost impossible to get a waiver from required attendance days.

If waivers are available the school system also has to request them, it's not a blanket grant. One local system (I won't name it but the letters P and G are in the name) never asks for the full number. A couple times they didn't ask for any. That was the year we went until June 25 or 26. I don't remember which rotating Superintendent was in charge then. Maybe the one who went to prison.
June 25th? Wow, that is really late. We got out around the 15th that year. If I remember right we missed 3 days for the first snowmageddon in December, they probably would have closed schools that whole week had it not been that Christmas was on Friday. After the second storm, schools were closed for 7 days, and then delayed for the next 3.

We weren't able to get out for about five days after the second storm. I live on a cul de sac, so we never got a snow plow (I say got because they have been much better this winter, we've seen a snow plow for the first time in a few years down our street.)

Old 03-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Just so everyone knows, yesterday is going to be repeated tomorrow. An Advisory has been issued to run from 9AM to 7PM. Snow, sleet, freezing rain. "Travel will be hazardous".

Old 03-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just so everyone knows, yesterday is going to be repeated tomorrow. An Advisory has been issued to run from 9AM to 7PM. Snow, sleet, freezing rain. "Travel will be hazardous".
Well, that storm turned out to be a whole lot less than what they expected. The only place that was icy was the parking lot at Walmart! When I was coming back home around 2:30 the roads were no worse than your average rainy day.

Now, what will this new storm headed our way bring?

As I heard someone on the radio say a few weeks ago, this weather is like playing the guessing game. Will it snow today? Will my car start? Are the pipes frozen? Will I slip and break my neck today?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:41 PM

My personal weather gnome, Mrs. NBP has been checking all day. All the models agree that we're going to catch it. All have multiple inch totals which don't deviate much between them.

As far as the storm the other day goes, I had ice on everything at my house except the road and sidewalk. That might be a function of all the salt that had been laid down.

Personally, I only check the weather models for hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland