Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:55 AM

57 posts, read 297,664 times

Advertisements

Some points:
1) the geographic distribution is not surprising and is good for State.
2) most of these aren't towns or cities. They are neighborhoods within larger zip codes.
3) Because of #2, this list doesn't really say too much. For example, the neighborhood that I live in is on the list, but it's just unincorporated land. Further, it's a neighborhood of only single family houses - so, by default, it is going to be more expensive to live there (and thus require more income to live there). I'd willing to bet that many of the "towns" on the list are the same way. It would be interesting to see what the list would look like, adjusted for housing type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,060,594 times
NJ tops US in number of millionaires - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Millionaires per capita. Maryland is #2. It measure wealth holdings not including home equity.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM

217 posts, read 752,360 times
I'll echo an earlier response - What responses did you want?

1. Are these single or combined income salaries?
2. Who are the top 5 employers? (as if I don't know)
3. Can you factor in college education?

4. - And this one will really hurt from truth...
What if the federal government were removed from the area?

The answer to that - the list would change drastically.
Why? Because WE,THE PEOPLE look to it for everything while it sells us away to the rest of the world. Most of those high salaries exist only because the federal government subsists - indirectly - in every industry in this area.
The USA doesn't manufacture any longer. What does that mean? We are a nation reduced to being a service industry and the only thing we have to service is ourselves. If we were a nation that had an actual GNP ranking along with those nations we've sold out to the middle class would still be as it was 40 years ago.
The reality of that list is skewed due to our dependence on Uncle Sam for job positions/salaries.

This state will continue to vote liberal democrats and lame republicans into offices rather than look to those with conviction to move us away from the status quo.
In 2008 I predict the majority of MD - especially PG county - will vote for Obama for two reasons. First, he is black, Second he is a democrat.
This is not a racist statement - he will be the first black candidate and most blacks that vote will go with that sentiment; not that there are any better or worse choices. I won't point fingers and call down those about that sentiment. If I were black I would most likely do so in solidarity. I am looking for a choice that impacts WE,THE PEOPLE as a nation.
In my opinion, there are no choices in either party that are good enough for the USA at this time. That said, the message rep. Ron Paul - who will not be president - is trying to convey is what we all should look to. We should start weaning ourselves from the federal government and make OUR economy work without its hand in it. We as citizens are what this country is all about. We are who make businesses to serve our needs - manufacturing in specific - and these are real jobs that we have given away overseas.
Realistically, the federal government has a hand in everything you do in life other than bodily functions. You do have a choice of how you want to live your life but that choice leads you right back here.
To depend on it for employment - directly or indirectly - furthers that along.

I can lay out a platform that all candidates should strive for but not here.
First I would need to re-educate the entirety of WE,THE PEOPLE.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 AM

746 posts, read 847,046 times
This will address both Fish Fister and LE's most recent questions. I'll start with LE's first.

LE said the following;

"Some points:
1) the geographic distribution is not surprising and is good for State.
2) most of these aren't towns or cities. They are neighborhoods within larger zip codes.
3) Because of #2, this list doesn't really say too much. For example, the neighborhood that I live in is on the list, but it's just unincorporated land. Further, it's a neighborhood of only single family houses - so, by default, it is going to be more expensive to live there (and thus require more income to live there). I'd willing to bet that many of the "towns" on the list are the same way. It would be interesting to see what the list would look like, adjusted for housing type."

1. I cannot debate with you on as we agree

2.Point I can debate with you on for two of the following reasons. The first is while I disagree with your overall assertion all of the places listed are census designated places, so regardless of what "mailing zip code" they use they are all recognized by the US Census whether unincorporated or not. I'm sure I do not have to dabble deep into this and you understand what this means? Futhermore let me just ask you the following Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Davidsonville,Rockville,Marlton,Clinton, Potomac, Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Towson, Olney, Columbia, Ellicott City, Severn, Laytonsville, and the list could go on, but are these all unicorporated? I could name all of the unicorporated areas on the list in probably 25 places, so your "insightful" argument is neither "insightful" nor an argument and it's false.

3.Um, three is hard to answer, because you're basically thinking out loud and contradict yourself. However, you are correct 99% of the places listed are predomintely single family home areas with scatterings of townhomes etc. For instance Travliah, which is an unincorporated "land mass" located within Potomac is recognized by the US Census, but for all practical purposes its mailing zip code is 20854 (Potomac mailing zip code). This can also be said for your neighborhood, which uses a Laurel Zip Code. While you raise an interesting point you fail to acknoweldge that the majority of places listed are not neighborhoods, but are recognized as towns and or cities in each of their respective counties. To bring home the point Bowie is a city of more than 50,000 individuals with an income of 83k. In reference to wanting the list adjusted it was made based on family income as that would be the most fair way to judge all of the different locations as far out as Carrol County or Frederick County.

LE, how is the list not saying too much? It would seem that it is just not saying what you want to hear (whatever that maybe). Let's say i took a list of the wealthiest places to live in California. Cota De Caza, and a number of location in California would make it and they are not incorporated towns or cities, but they are recognized by the US Census. Would the fact that they are unincorporated make them anyless factual? If its recognized by the US Census it goes on the list regardless of what zip code they use. The only place not recognized by the US Census was Clarksville in Howard County, but that's like their Potomac so i had to include on the list.

Now on to Fist

"1. Are these single or combined income salaries?
2. Who are the top 5 employers? (as if I don't know)
3. Can you factor in college education?

4. - And this one will really hurt from truth...
What if the federal government were removed from the area?"

1. Fist, these are combined "family" incomes
2. 70% of employees in each county are employed in the Private Sector. However, gov jobs are the highest paying.
3. Actually this is an excellent question? All of the areas listed in the top 100 guess what? Are all highly educated with the following characteristics

1. High school Graduation rate above 92% National Average is 85%
2. College 4 year degree rate above 34% National Average is 20%
3. Advance Degree rate above 18% National Average is 8%

When you look at the Top 50 Only
1. High School graduation goes to 96%
2. College 4 year degree goes to 44%
3. Advance degree goes to 25%

Education and wealth truly go hand in hand.

If I brought out a list of the poorest places in the state you'd see the opposite

1. High School Grad 75 -80%
2. College 4 year 5-8%
3. Advance Degree 2-3%

PGC is the best example of all the counties listed where you see this huge starke difference. The outer beltway's education attainment level dwarfs those that live inside of the inner beltway more so than any other county. The wealthy between the outside of the beltway and inside is a lot greater in PGC than the poor vs wealthy in any other county. There are places in Baltimore County, Carrol, Ann Arundel, and Howard where this effect is present, but not to the degree it is in Prince Georges.

Whats even more amazing about the list when compared to the Top 1000 places and towns in the country Maryland, Virginia, CT, CA, and NJ would lead the list disproportionately in relation to the rest of the country! What's more impressive that Maryland would lead the list is compared to the other 4 it is the smallest, but has the most wealth per square foot.

Last edited by truthhurts; 01-12-2008 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 11:12 AM

217 posts, read 752,360 times
Truth,
I thank you for addressing my reply.
The one factor I still hinge on is the presence of the federal government. 70% may have employment in the private sector but, as a former sub-contractor that chased positions around the entire metro area, I know the sources of funding for those contracts. They all tied into projects funded by the feds which created the plethora of cottage industries that exist to support those contracts.
Most of the people I know have employment that ties back to federal funding in some manner. I am curious as to what those who receive $75K+ do for a living. I found too many people are Managers with far too few worker bees. The managers won't perform the duties of their underlings if put to it.
I whine and complain about PG county because I live here and have seen what is wrong. If you live here long enough and pay attention - prejudices aside - it falls into a pattern. I could not attempt to fix it because I would be considered racist while infuriating most whites as well. Unbeknownst to all, it is not about race. Parris Glendenning, white, wreaked more havoc on this county than I can recall. Most importantly, it is not a matter of further segregation of black and white though the politicians of the county and state succeed in doing so too well. I think it to be a redistribution of county awareness and services. Oh, the right county executive and council help as well. Glendenning did little in the way of attracting any of the large tech companies that built in NOVA. We all know we could have used the business on this side of the Potomac. How many PG county residents drive over there for employment?
Boasts of the wealthiest black county means little in the long run. As been pointed out, the division of wealth skews the demographics because there are too many in the county that don't fit into that slice of the chart. The slice containing the wealth is diluted when put back in place as pristine subdivisions of mcmansions are included with decades old subdivisions, townhouses, apartments, farms and houses up in the woods of this huge county. That rather large slice of the pie cuts the wealthier salary averages down to half.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:28 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,230,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
a lot of views but no responses....puzzling
Truth

Be puzzled no more. This is a tasteless post. You probably don't see it that way. I think many people are shocked.

Civil people do not go around broadcasting and comparing their money. It is vulgar.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Truth

Be puzzled no more. This is a tasteless post. You probably don't see it that way. I think many people are shocked.

Civil people do not go around broadcasting and comparing their money. It is vulgar.

I'm sorry Bob, but I seem to not notice where i put down my income, networth, or stock apprecaition? Nor, do I reside in the state of Maryland, so what am i comparing personally? What is sooo vulgar about my list vs one compiled by CNN, Forbes, or any other newsworthy source that compiles "Wealthiest" information for the public to view and discuss?

If you're looking to take a cheap shot at me on the basis of profound nothingness you could surely attempt a much better quip than this "Civil People" non-sense.

Now, if I said personally I had true wealth let's say 100 million plus and I decided to post on this forum to degrade others i'd agrew with you it would declasse and perhaps a bit vulgar, but this psudeo upper class facade you come on with is laughable and your attempt to name call others who are pointing out fact is plain foolishness. All I did was list facts in a 100 town and city list nothing more nothing less. Considering this list recieved thus far a high number of views i'd say that there are a lot of people equally as fascinated with these statics and facts as I am.

Again the problem comes down to wealth. If I did the same list of the 100 poorest places to live in the state of Maryland i'm sure people would have responded droves. Bob, i'm having a little trouble finding a point in your last comment. Did I somehow not post factual information? Why is a list of the Wealthiest cities in Maryland Vulgar to you? Any state you go to Mass, CT, NY, NJ and any other "wealthy" state already compiles a list similiar, so your point is moot.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 9,898 times
Default Talbot County is on the list...?

I just read that Talbot County, Md is number 71 on the top wealthiest counties in the nation. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States]Highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]. I know that wiki is sometimes incorrect. What do y'all think?

By the way, does anyone in here think the eastern shore keeps getting snobbier every year and losing a lot of its charm?

Old 01-12-2008, 06:50 PM

Yes, the Talbot County posting on wiki is very mis-leading and false. Talbot is not remotely close to being considerd one of the nations wealthiest counties. There's only one place in the county that would have made the Maryland top 100 list and it's listed below. I think the Wiki listing its under needs to be reviewed. I spot checked most of them and this is the reason i did not add talbot to the list, because it should have never been put into the top 100 wealthiest in the nation to begin with. This is why you have to use the census data from the gov to verify stuff on wiki. Most likley a Talbot resident posted that for laughs or something. Note it is in reference to per capita on wiki. The median income in talbot is $43,000 dollars barely over the median of $40,000 in the US, so it's not wealthy hence why using certain measures is very mis-leading.

Oxford $71,000

Old 01-12-2008, 07:46 PM

Here's some additional census data for Maryland and how it breaks down for the counties listed above

Maryland State Income

100-149k 179,790 total families 14.5% of state population
150-199k 60,552 total families 4.4% of state population
200,000+ 52,445 total families 3.8% of state population

United States Total
100-149k 6,936,210 total families 12.5% of US population
150-199k 1,983,673 total families 2.7% of US population
200,000+ 2,112,564 total families 2.9% of US population

Break Down by County

Montgomery County
100-149k 46,905 total families 26.0% of state population
150-199k 21,122 total families 34.0% of state population
200,000+ 22,083 total families 42.0% of state population

Prince Georges County
100-149k 31,215 total families 17.3% of state population
150-199k 7,317 total families 12.0% of state population
200,000+ 3,123 total families 6.0% of state population

Howard County
100-149k 16,009 total families 9.0% state population
150-199k 5,936 total families 9.8% state population
200,000+ 4,013 total families 7.6% state population

Ann Arundel
100-149k 22,424 total families 12.4% state population
150-199k 6,447 total families 10.6% state population
200,000+ 4,945 total families 9.4% state population

Baltimore County
100-149k 25,180 total families 14.0% state population
150-199k 6,746 total families 11.1% state population
200,000+ 7,869 total families 15.0% state population

Carrol County
100-149k 6,693 total families 3.7% state population
150-199k 1,269 total families 2.0% state population
200,000+ 771 total families 1.4% state population

Hartford
100-149k 8,630 total families 4.8% state population
150-199k 1,952 total families 3.2% state population
200,000+ 1,257 total families 2.3% state population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland