Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 AM

231 posts, read 576,094 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are moving to this neighborhood next month from California and we have 2 kids and I am wondering about how safe the neighborhood is? Can my kids play outside? Will my car be stolen or broken into? I have a toyota sienna. Will my house be broken into? Will I feel safe walking down the street? I just want to make sure that I will be in a safe place where my kids can grow up in and I won't be freaked out to go outside. My mother in law lives in Brentwood MD and she is not in a safe neighborhood and I don't even feel safe going outside walking to the car. So, how safe is it? I would possibly back out of my lease over this. Safety is a huge thing to me.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 18,013 times
I've lived in Glenmont Hills for several years now. There is a lot of diversity in the area - a large Hispanic population, an older (mostly white) population that have lived here since the 50s and 60s, and an emerging population of young professionals of all ethnicities. People are drawn to the area because of the relatively low-cost housing and proximity to the Glenmont metro station. Many of the younger families in this area are Hispanic, and the kids can play outside. In general, it's safe as long as you keep an eye on them (people sometimes drive too fast through the residential streets, so I'd say cars are your biggest worry).

The area has its problems, like any other. We have some gangs in the area - MS13 and Latin Kings, for example. Graffiti, petty theft, and that sort of thing have been an issue. You might want to check out an online crime blotter to see what's been going on recently. Lately, we've had a problem with gangs from other counties (like Prince George's) riding up to our area on the metro and having fights. I don't know why they come up this way to fight, but there you go.

There is an active civic association - The Greater Glenmont Civic Association - that is working to combat these problems. You should look them up when you get here - check out glenmontcivic.org, or email glenmontcivic@gmail.com for information. They can help you with any questions or concerns you might have.

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland