Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:55 AM

898 posts, read 1,404,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
The DHTB thanks you for offering more places to try...LOL
Guess what we're having for dinner tonight now...

I envy you right now. Thanksgiving break is around the corner here, and my biggest craving is not for Turkey and the fixings. When I hit Maine, I want Chinese food and Italian sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 AM

181 posts, read 486,500 times
What a great thread! Growing up, the Chinese restaurant in our town was the 'fancy' place. Good report cards, the prom, etc. People here look horrified when they hear about this. LOL

All the Chinese places I've been to here in NC have rangoon! Maybe they just skip over Connecticut?

El, I've been aware of the same thing... which is why I'm trying to learn to cook all kinds of stuff while I'm still here & can compare to the original. No more Indian food across the street, sob! But I bet I can make the same stuff for 1/4 the cost, so it could end up being a good thing!

And there's always Chinatown in Boston... that's only, what, 8 hours away from Eastport?

Old 02-15-2024, 06:10 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,572,772 times
Maine has the best chinese food. One of the things I miss the most is the duck sauce that they make in Maine. In other states, all I can find is the kind that is made with apricot sauce and not the applesauce. Does anyone have a recipe for the Maine style duck sauce?

Old 02-15-2024, 07:02 PM

605 posts, read 628,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Has anyone eaten at Chinese restaurants outside of Maine? . . .
Has anyone else noticed that Chinese food outside of Maine is of far inferior taste and quality?

To your first question, yes: New York, Boston, Toronto, Montreal. Best by a long shot: Toronto. Montreal pretty good too. To your second question: I've never had Chinese food in Maine, but it would be hard to beat Toronto.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:51 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,904,108 times
I am sad to say that the Chinese food I've had in Maine has been more often disappointing than delish. I have tried several restaurants in various locations and try to remain optimistic. I am open to Chinese restaurant recommendations (in Maine). Here are a couple of examples: Several months ago a friend and I went to a restaurant in her town (3 hours from my town). She ordered only fried rice and it was delish. Fried rice came with my meal and it looked nothing like the fried rice that my friend received and it didn't taste the same either. It wasn't edible. A few days ago I ordered from a local restaurant (take out) crispy sesame chicken, crab rangoons, and fried rice. The chicken was tasty but it wasn't crispy, the crab rangoons were mediocre and overcooked, and the fried rice tasted so bad I didn't eat it. Btw crab rangoons are not unique to Chinese restaurants in Maine.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 02-15-2024 at 10:30 PM..

Old Today, 06:49 PM

767 posts, read 1,753,853 times
Default Chinese food in Maine stinks!

In the four years since I moved to Maine, I have yet to find Chinese food that is even halfway adequate. It's usually disgusting, flavorless, and greasy, no matter where I try it. I guess I was spoiled by the fantastic Chinese food available all over New York City. In fact, whenever I've traveled outside of Maine and gotten Chinese food, it's always infinitely better.

And don't get me started on the lack of truly good sandwich shops! UGH!

Last edited by citychik; Today at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine