Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times

Advertisements

Ok, does this count as a "cutting back" recipe? Is salmon reasonable there? Salmon BLT sounds scrumptuous!

Salmon BLT Recipe at Epicurious.com

Another thing I like to throw together that's fairly cheap is a quiche. Anything you like the taste of is good in a quiche, and my kids will even eat them if they don't SEE the onions!

One of my simple favorites is eggs, standard seasonings, pre-sauteed leeks, mushrooms and Velveeta. I think a good smoked gouda or swiss would be good in that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:04 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,101,214 times
American chop suey.

Cook a pound (or more, this stretches very easily) of elbow macaroni until chewy but not quite done.

While the macaroni is cooking, brown a pound of cheap ground beef (ground turkey would also work, I suspect) in a BIG frying pan or heavy pot. Pour off most, but not all, of the fat.

Add:
one medium yellow onion, diced
two cloves of garlic, diced
Optional -- green pepper, diced

Fry until onion is transparent.

Add a can of diced tomatoes (I like the variety with spices already added) and a can of tomato sauce. Add herbs and spices -- rosemary, basil, a bay leaf (remove before serving), pepper, etc. I leave out salt because some people are on a low-sodium diet. Diners can salt to taste at the table.

Add the macaroni and enough water to cover and simmer until macaroni is cooked and all the flavors are blended. Stir occasionally. Serve with a green salad.

This tastes even better as leftovers the next day.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:10 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Now, if you add chili powder to that chop suey recipe, you have my grandma's delicious goulash. We grew up on that stuff! It always tastes better the next day, and is also good between a couple of slices of bread.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 AM

874 posts, read 1,857,645 times
I take any soup or stew (without noodles) and either bake with bisquik biscuits on top or as dumplings. It makes soup seem like a whole meal and is fun for the kids.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Another thing I like to throw together that's fairly cheap is a quiche. Anything you like the taste of is good in a quiche, and my kids will even eat them if they don't SEE the onions!
Great idea for supper tonight. I have eggs, broccoli, leeks and cheddar on hand.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:41 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,906,429 times
UMaine Cooperative Extension offers many publications that have healthy, low-cost recipes. Most of the printed publications are offered at a low cost, and many are available online for free. One of my favorites is the "Recipe Ideas for Thrifty Families":

Bulletin 4050: Recipe Ideas for Thrifty Families

Full list of publications:

Welcome to UMaine Cooperative Extension books and publications online

Old 10-22-2008, 08:08 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
MW, we've got to sit her down and talk to her about that velveeta

Great post deerisle! You can also get nutritional advice from your local Cooperative Extension Office if you're concerned about healthy eating and/or have particular nutritional goals you're trying to meet. They're a great resource, under-used I think too.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I know. Is it too late to make up a lie that we don't have it in Maine?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,882,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post

That was my first thought when I saw her mention it again! Hmmm, maybe a housewarming goodie basket should include some good cheese and a couple of graters?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,114,544 times
hmmm, well.... I've NEVER seen it in the CHEESE section.... only the "cheese food" section with the individually wrapped "cheese food" slices!

smile El
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine