Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 07:31 AM

603 posts, read 622,781 times

Advertisements

https://archive.ph/CypJS

Unfortunately it doesn't mention how many years it takes to earn back the investment after subtracting all the available grants. One home owner paid $6000 out of pocket and had $6000 in grants, so I wonder how long it would take her to recoup her investment compared to oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 07:23 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
I live in the mid Atlantic area I bought my home a 4 bedroom 3bath split Foyer home in 1988 and have had 3 heat pumps systems in that time, we don't have natural gas here and no place for oil tanks. Heat pumps are fine for where I live and it still gets cold around here (teens once in awhile) but I admit I would question a Heat pump system in Maine and I put in a brand new system a year ago. If you have a generator and have a good electrical source but if your power is out it gets cold fast , real fast.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:16 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I live in the mid Atlantic area I bought my home a 4 bedroom 3bath split Foyer home in 1988 and have had 3 heat pumps systems in that time, we don't have natural gas here and no place for oil tanks. Heat pumps are fine for where I live and it still gets cold around here (teens once in awhile) but I admit I would question a Heat pump system in Maine and I put in a brand new system a year ago. If you have a generator and have a good electrical source but if your power is out it gets cold fast , real fast.
Agree that traditional heat pumps aren't appropriate for the Maine climate. However, there are some special cold climate heat pumps that have been developed in the past 15 years that are good down to much lower temperatures than traditional heat pumps. The Hyperheat system from Mitsubishi and the XLTH (Extra Low Temperature Heating) system from Fujitsu have been the systems of choice for years, and work down to about -10 to -15F.

The Dept of Energy has recently been working with American manufacturers to try to get this kind of capacity from American manufacturers like Carrier, Trane and Lennox, and that effort has borne fruit in their development pipelines, and it looks like they will hit the market within a year or two.
https://www.energy.gov/eere/building...pump-challenge

Old 03-03-2024, 11:19 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
More than one heat source in a home can be a good idea for Maine. Heat is important when outside temps are below freezing. One day in the winter of 23-24, the temp dipped to -45°. A friend has a propane heater that doesn't require electricity. Another friend has a heat pump, pellet stove, and oil furnace. Another friend has a wood stove in their basement and an oil furnace. (Oil tanks in basements) I read that about 60% of Mainers have generators. Heat pumps include the convenience of AC in case a wicked hot summer day arrives. Imo tax credits for energy efficient heat pumps are great incentives.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:51 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Imo tax credits for energy efficient heat pumps are great incentives.
So why should tax payers be on the hook to help pay for it? I need a new oil fired boiler and don't expect my neighbors to subsidize it.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:11 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
So why should tax payers be on the hook to help pay for it? I need a new oil fired boiler and don't expect my neighbors to subsidize it.
How is a "Tax credit" subsidizing his heat pump , tax payers aren't on the hook for anything. It's your choice, if you want the credit it's there for you just buy an efficient heat pump, if you don't keep your oil fired boiler. Not a shot at anyone ,seriously just asking.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Any tax credit whether for efficient windows, heat pump, EV or anything else is paid for by the U.S. Government, whose only source of revenue is us. We have the option of not taking these credits, but we are paying for them.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:55 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
I don't expect my neighbors to buy me anything, but I'd happily accept some of my own money back in a rebate.

Old 03-04-2024, 02:57 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
... Heat pumps are fine for where I live and it still gets cold around here (teens once in awhile) but I admit I would question a Heat pump system in Maine and I put in a brand new system a year ago. If you have a generator and have a good electrical source but if your power is out it gets cold fast , real fast.

Hmm, in one sentence you said that it gets down to teens 'once in a while'.

Then later you said that it gets cold fast.

Those statements are contradictory.

If it only ever goes into the teens then it clearly never gets cold.

Old 03-04-2024, 03:00 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
And yet it happens.

We have a friend who got a replacement furnace and a new roof using 'emergency' COVID funds.

The plannedemic has been a goldmine for lots of folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine