Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 06:06 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times

Advertisements

Thanks Jellybean. I can see where being pescatarian would be easier and very convenient in Maine. I do not eat fish. As far as roadkill, I see that everywhere, including in CT where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 08:12 AM

880 posts, read 2,344,072 times
I've lived in Maine for 2 decades, and have been a vegetarian for almost 3 decades. It is far easier to live in the bigger towns as they will have more choices for groceries and restaurants. The smaller rural areas will definitely have less choice, but if you explore, you will find some gems.

For restaurants, the biggest thing is to research the menu ahead of time. I've been to places that can easily accommodate, and those that can't or won't. It comes down to expectations. I wouldn't expect a seafood place to have an amazing vegan option on the menu. I find that most places will have a least one vegetarian option, but not necessarily a vegan option.

As for people, Maine is diverse, but I feel the majority of people here eat meat. Knowing that it is always a good idea to act accordingly. When I see hunters, I ask them how their day went. Did they get anything? People here tend to respect each other's choices as long as their choices are respected too.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:43 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
I've never been a big meat eater. Been more of a vegetarian eating eggs, and dairy hopefully organic, and pastured. I have found that you can make some restaurants work by ordering from the side menu, and/or salads. You would have to play that by ear though depending upon how strict you are. Just a thought in case you want to go out to eat with someone who isn't vegan. You could always check the place out online beforehand to see their menu.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:26 AM

23,530 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Maine is a live and let live state.

You want vegan, go for it. Keep declaring yourself a vegan to anyone who will listen is not considered live and let live.

Eat what's on your plate and don't comment about the food the next guy eats. Unless you are his mother or grandmother! Save your declarations for twitter and FB.

Omnivores, NOT carnivores........ eat a lot of veggies with their wild game, so in that regard they meet you half way and present an opportunity for common ground. End of spectrum positions, held fast, will always generate controversy, true everywhere in the world.

Dandelions and fiddle heads are a large part of the diet. No farming or land confiscation to grow those plants.

Each region and state has its own culture, not to be torn asunder.

Not sure about Maine's laws, but some states require big game animals to be transported in plain view to avoid transport of an illegal harvest.

Guns galore, legal to have a rifle on the front seat UNLOADED. Some keep a rifle handy to shoot coyotes.

"Maine Hunters for the Hungry (H4H) is a program administered by the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry with the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. The purpose of the program is to secure wild game meat to provide to hunger relief organizations throughout the state of Maine."

There is a big difference in regard to wild game vs farm raised meat vs vegan and environmental/carbon and water footprints.

Theoretically vegan is friendly to the environment using carbon and water as a measure compared to meat production and crops needed to raise the meat.

Organic is defined loosely and not necessarily what you think it means.

So water and carbon are not the whole story. Fuel, fertilizer, pesticides, transportation, etc come into play on large commercial farms for fruits and veggies and commodity crops.... cattle feed production and of course ethanol pushed by greenies and resulting high food prices for consumers.

The lowest impact on the environment is from harvesting wild game and fish and wild spring greens.

So again, vegans and omnivores have common ground in respecting the environment and wildlife, both require wise use for future availability.

Leave no trace....

Preservation vs conservation. Preservation is hands off, let the fates determine the future existence. conservation is wise use to ensure future supply.

Rule number one when cattle judging, never say cow number two has a better topline or median suspensory ligament than cow number 1!

Cow number two has a strong topline, leave out the comparison with the other cows, not polite to put down the other guy's cow. Hurts the other cows' feelings as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Vegan, Animal Friendly in Maine-f16027887.jpg  

Old 12-12-2023, 08:53 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
... Organic is defined loosely and not necessarily what you think it means.
Mainers originated the term 'organic' when it comes to food production and in 1970 Mainers formed MOFGA [Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association], https://www.mofga.org/ which is our regional Organic Certifying agency.

It only took another 40 years for the federal government to recognize 'organic' and for the USDA to begin its version with the federally regulated NOP program. https://www.ams.usda.gov/about-ams/p...rganic-program

I have spent some time as a vendor in Farmer's Markets, there remains a big debate between the use of the terms "organic" [with all small letters] and 'Certified Organic' [which means third party verified to be in compliance with OMRI.

In Farmers' Markets you will see organic produce sold alongside C.O. produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine